I may be the first to have the 6spd tranny replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 10:47 AM
6 speedin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be the second to have the 6spd tranny replaced

I have been having a few problems with second gear. If I am driving approximately 20 mph and engage the clutch fully the gears will grind away if you shift slowly and about halfway into 2nd. I am curious any other 6 speed drivers can make this happen. It is never a problem during normal driving because as long as I shift all the way into second at a normal speed it never grinds.

Try driving about 20mph and engage the clutch all the way and keep the clutch in and go slowly in and out of 2nd and see if you the gears start to grind. They should not because anytime the clutch in all the way in it should always be nuetral. I took it to Acura the other day and the master technician there thought is could possibly be an adjustment, but once he opened up everything he said there were not any adjustments that could be made. MY dealer is going to call Acura on Monday when they open again and find out if they have had this problem yet and more than likely they may have to swap out my tranny.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:52 AM
XSESIVE

I just find that the transmission is not smooth at all, expecially going into 2nd gear.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:59 AM
6 speedin'

Originally posted by DHRJDMBA
I just find that the transmission is not smooth at all, expecially going into 2nd gear.
I had that problem until I really got used to the clutch. Every now and then it is jerky.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Re: I may be the first to have the 6spd tranny replaced

Originally posted by 6spdCL-S
Try driving about 20mph and engage the clutch all the way and keep the clutch in and go slowly in and out of 2nd and see if you the gears start to grind. They should not because anytime the clutch in all the way in it should always be nuetral.
I don稚 know EXACTLY what goes on inside the Tranny, but that doesn稚 sound like a good thing to do to the car.

Shawn S
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 PM
XSESIVE

I do not mean it is not smooth when you let the clutch out, it is notchy when you move the shift lever into 2nd gear.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:38 PM
6 speedin'

Re: Re: I may be the first to have the 6spd tranny replaced

I wasn't saying the you should try and damage your car. If your tranny is fine then you could not have the grinding that occurs like me because anytime the clutch is all the way in gears should never be able to grind now matter what gear you have the shifter in or even if you are in between gears. Mine only grinds on the way to second or if you come out of second slowly with the clutch all the way in. All other gears are fine. Shawn your gears should not do what mine is doing.

Originally posted by Shawn S
I don稚 know EXACTLY what goes on inside the Tranny, but that doesn稚 sound like a good thing to do to the car.

Shawn S
Old 01-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I've noticed on mine that when i shift to 2nd it's sometimes a little stiff, but that's only when the engine is really cold. after it warms up a little bit it seems to be just fine. (praying)
Old 01-02-2003, 12:41 PM
6 speedin'

Originally posted by DHRJDMBA
I do not mean it is not smooth when you let the clutch out, it is notchy when you move the shift lever into 2nd gear.
Now that I think about mine does the same because I have noticed that I have to pull it into second harder than I do for the other gears and I do recall feeling the notchyness you are referring to.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Drifting

That just sounds like a bad syncro?
Old 01-02-2003, 01:50 PM
6 speedin'

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
That just sounds like a bad syncro?
Possibly. I will see what the dealer finds out after they call Acura on Monday. They are going to scans the computers and see if any other 6spd owner has had any similar problems yet.

I am still curious to hear some feedback from some other 6spd owners as to whether or not their cars are doing the same thing. I would guess no.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:00 PM
XSESIVE

I may have the dealer look at the matter the next time I take the car in. I just do not have a lot of faith in the dealer. I find that it is especially hard to go from 3rd to 2nd. (I can drive just fine thanks) and double clutching does not seem to help.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe 1st and 2nd gears in our cars have only one syncro. I read that in the magazine Acura sends us called Acura Driver or something. So, it's harder to shift into those gears. I wouldn't do that almost shift thing you're doing. Sounds like that could confuse the syncro. My previous car was a 95 GSR and it took 15,000 miles for the tranny to smooth out. When I first got it, I asked about 2nd gear and they told me it was normal and would become smoother with age. It did and I never had a problem. My 6 speed shifts fine, the front end, well, that's another story.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:45 PM
CL 6 speeder

Not true

Originally posted by paulff3
I believe 1st and 2nd gears in our cars have only one syncro. I read that in the magazine Acura sends us called Acura Driver or something. So, it's harder to shift into those gears. I wouldn't do that almost shift thing you're doing. Sounds like that could confuse the syncro. My previous car was a 95 GSR and it took 15,000 miles for the tranny to smooth out. When I first got it, I asked about 2nd gear and they told me it was normal and would become smoother with age. It did and I never had a problem. My 6 speed shifts fine, the front end, well, that's another story.
Not correct. There are mulitple cone synchronizers on gears 1 through 4. Seen article on www.hondanews.com. Go to Acura CL area and look at the technology section. Must be a bad synchro. Honda/Acura manuals are famous for smooth shifting. Like on the S2000, RSX, Civic SI and also on every CL 6 speed I drove.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I may be the first to have the 6spd tranny replaced

I have been having a few problems with second gear. If I am driving approximately 20 mph and engage the clutch fully the gears will grind away if you shift slowly and about halfway into 2nd. I am curious any other 6 speed drivers can make this happen. It is never a problem during normal driving because as long as I shift all the way into second at a normal speed it never grinds.

Try driving about 20mph and engage the clutch all the way and keep the clutch in and go slowly in and out of 2nd and see if you the gears start to grind. They should not because anytime the clutch in all the way in it should always be nuetral. I took it to Acura the other day and the master technician there thought is could possibly be an adjustment, but once he opened up everything he said there were not any adjustments that could be made. MY dealer is going to call Acura on Monday when they open again and find out if they have had this problem yet and more than likely they may have to swap out my tranny.
:sqnteek:
I cannot figure out what you are doing. At least as you describe it, most would call your technique incorrect (for normal use). I guess that if your service dudes think it needs fixing then so be it.

Most don't shift the gears with the clutch partially engaged. You'll wear things down quicker.

You say that the clutch is engaged and you're shifting? You do realize that when you depress the pedal you are disengaging the clutch. This may account for some of the confusion.

Anyway, I'm not having any problems with my six speeder. I hope your service department takes good care of you.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:31 PM
The Liquidator

well//i guesss i'll come out of the shell..i had my 6 spd tranny replaced here in houston...1 month ago....the same problem...the reason...BAD SYNCROS. it took em 3 days to replace now its smooth as shit.

PH
Old 01-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro

This is making everyone think....thats good, right?? But I am going to check my CL-S MT next time I drive it ....... this new CL-S MT tranny is a uniquely designed beast....you have to spend a lot of time "learning" it. I am just about feeling real comfortable with it a month into it. The "notchyness" people describe with this trans. is actually going to improve drastically with a few K. on the car. When you depress the clutch there is a signal to the throttle system that gives it a very slight amount of boost as you take your foot off the gas pedal. That's why you can easily shift this car around 2,300 RPM's. Oh shit Purplehaze I just noticed your post !!!
Old 01-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Drifting

No problems with my six speed, but what you are describing sounds exactly like what plagued my 02 RSX-S. It had triple cone synchros on gears 1 and 2. We have triple cones on 1, 2, 3 and 4. My usually trusty dealer BSed me on this one, and said it is characteristic of triple cones. Bullshit! My CL-S shifts like a dream. In the 02 RSX, 1 to 2 involved a "crash" shifting into second about 50% of the time. I did not find it worrysome, but I found it mildly annoying, and very non-acura like. When I initially complained about this, there were two other RSX-S owners with the same complaint. When the service manager set the three of us down to address our identical complaints, we should have known better, something is up! For my sake, I hope your transmission is the exception and not the rule. However, I trade my Acura every 365 days, so I am not worried. Hope your problem gets solved.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got "notchyness" going into 1st or 2nd. It's gotten better since it was new (only 2900 miles on it tho').

I'm hoping that the tranny needs to wear in, but if it doesn't get better I'll complain at the 7500 mile oil change.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:33 PM
6 speedin'

Re: Re: I may be the first to have the 6spd tranny replaced

Originally posted by Slimey
:sqnteek:
I cannot figure out what you are doing. At least as you describe it, most would call your technique incorrect (for normal use). I guess that if your service dudes think it needs fixing then so be it.

Most don't shift the gears with the clutch partially engaged. You'll wear things down quicker.

You say that the clutch is engaged and you're shifting? You do realize that when you depress the pedal you are disengaging the clutch. This may account for some of the confusion.

Anyway, I'm not having any problems with my six speeder. I hope your service department takes good care of you.
Slimey,

You are misreading my post. I can drive stick fine and I am not shifting with the clutch partially engaged. During normal driving I never have a problem. I noticed one day when I was slowing for a redlight I slowly took the car out of second gear and felt the gears start to catch with the clutch fully depressed. It should have been in nuetral without catching. That was my whole point.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:37 PM
6 speedin'

Originally posted by 6speedctrlfreak
This is making everyone think....thats good, right?? But I am going to check my CL-S MT next time I drive it ....... this new CL-S MT tranny is a uniquely designed beast....you have to spend a lot of time "learning" it. I am just about feeling real comfortable with it a month into it. The "notchyness" people describe with this trans. is actually going to improve drastically with a few K. on the car. When you depress the clutch there is a signal to the throttle system that gives it a very slight amount of boost as you take your foot off the gas pedal. That's why you can easily shift this car around 2,300 RPM's. Oh shit Purplehaze I just noticed your post !!!

I have 18K miles and I occasionally have that notchyness, but that is another problem. Possibly I have bad syncros as well. I will call my technician and ask him about that.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: Re: Re: I may be the first to have the 6spd tranny replaced

Slimey,

You are misreading my post. I can drive stick fine and I am not shifting with the clutch partially engaged. During normal driving I never have a problem. I noticed one day when I was slowing for a redlight I slowly took the car out of second gear and felt the gears start to catch with the clutch fully depressed. It should have been in nuetral without catching. That was my whole point.
I figured that it was my read of the post, but Shawn S seemed to be a bit confused by what you were trying to explain as well. Thanks for the re-explanation.

I agree with the others: it sounds like a synchro issue. I hope they fix you up well.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:13 PM
6 speedin'

Originally posted by purplehaze
well//i guesss i'll come out of the shell..i had my 6 spd tranny replaced here in houston...1 month ago....the same problem...the reason...BAD SYNCROS. it took em 3 days to replace now its smooth as shit.

PH

Was yours notchyness or grinding gear?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On some cold mornings, shifting into 1st or 2nd takes a bit more effort. It even popped out of 2nd gear once. Even when everything is warmed up, I've felt some resistance going into 1st gear (from a stop). It feels like something is in the way and I usually shift it into 2nd then back into 1st and it goes in smoothly. No problems with the other gears.

Anyone else experience this? I only have about 3k on the car and since this isn't happening every time I've been hesitant to bring it to the dealer (I hate it when they give me bs about not being to duplicate the problem, etc).
Old 01-03-2003, 03:07 AM
The Liquidator

grinding while shifting to 2nd
Old 01-03-2003, 05:39 AM
Safety Car

There had been a few times when shifting to second I felt some notchy but not grinding gear changes. It even "popped out" a couple of times, but I thought it was my fault. Now I have 9,000mi and everything seems smooth.
Purplehaze, sorry about your misfortune. I hope it stays smooth!
6speedCL-S, I hope everything works out, and if it is the tranny it should be covered by the warranty. You can beat up on a loaner or a rent-a-car for a few days.
Oh well, I guess the M/T was not as bullet proof as I thought!
Old 01-03-2003, 05:42 AM
Safety Car

I guess you should change the title to-
I may be the SECOND to have the 6spd tranny replaced
Old 01-03-2003, 06:08 AM
6SPDCLS

Dudes, here is what i have to add to this case:

When coming to a stop light going about 10mph -> ZERO, I can't put the fucking gear from 2nd into 1st. It won't let me..at least not without FORCE. At a stop light, I usually put in gear from NEUTRAL to 2nd and then back into 1st (it's super smooth that way).

When i'm in 1st and start to move forwards, I have some "notchiness" going from 1st into 2nd gear. I almost have to jam that bitch into 2nd gear sometimes. It shouldn't BE THAT HARD right?

I also sometimes (occasionally) get the "notchiness" going from 2nd to 3rd gear..and sometimes into 4th gear.. I've asked my dealer what the dealio is with the "notchiness" going into 1st from a stop and he says it's the "dual synchros". Totally NORMAL. As for "notchiness" going from 1st into 2nd, they didn't tell me.

I have about 7,000+ miles already. I get occasional "notchiness" going into each gear from 1st -> 4th. What the fuck is the matter with the transmission? I want that smooth sensation like I do when going from 5th into 6th.

Hope that contributes to the bitch session here. I want to know if this is "normal" too!? Some of you say it's due to bad synchros (possibly)..but do you guys NOT EVER GET THE "NOTCHINESS" when going from gear to gear?
Old 01-03-2003, 06:12 AM
6 speedin'

Originally posted by bullaculla
I guess you should change the title to-
I may be the SECOND to have the 6spd tranny replaced
Guess your right! LOL.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:29 AM
Team Owner

I知 not having anywhere NEAR some of the problems you guys are discussing, but let me add this info.
This Tranny does NOT like the really cold weather.
Mine is rough to shift when the temps are below 30 or so even after letting the car idle for a few minutes.
Your left foot must be completely FLAT to the floor before attempting 1-2 shifts.
No cheating with 80-90 percent pedal engagement.
Only after about 5-miles or so do things loosen up to normal.
I知 used to it now, but it really surprised me the first couple of times.

When the temps are warmer the car is fine the minute I back it out of the garage in the morning.
For the record I知 at about 8,500 miles.

Shawn S
Old 01-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Got BOOST????

And everyone thought they were gonna solve there problem by getting a 6-speed tranny, instead of keeping or buying an auto-slush box. Good luck to you guys with the 6 speed.I fortunatly, haven't had to replace my tranny yet.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by bnavarro
And everyone thought they were gonna solve there problem by getting a 6-speed tranny, instead of keeping or buying an auto-slush box. Good luck to you guys with the 6 speed.
So TWO people are having issues and you池e slamming all 2,700 as bad.
WTF ???

Shawn S
Old 01-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

joeandcarol2 -

you're right, I read the tech section on the CL and the RSX. The letter in Acura Driver must have been on the RSX. It has "Multiple synchronizers(triple cone on gears 1 and 2, double cone on gears 3-6) help reduceshifting load for a light, responsive feel." Sorry for the confusion I was working off of memory.

Question for all of you guys having problems - do you beat on the car? You know the standard stuff, spin the tires in 1st, chirp 2nd gear etc... If you do, then you shouldn't be surprised it's breaking IMOI.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
When coming to a stop light going about 10mph -> ZERO, I can't put the fucking gear from 2nd into 1st. It won't let me..at least not without FORCE. At a stop light, I usually put in gear from NEUTRAL to 2nd and then back into 1st (it's super smooth that way).
Many people don't downshift (at high revs) from 2nd to 1st when coming to the light, and Honda, for some reason, has prevented this.

I beleive this is by design. Same issue with my Integra.

Someone once told me that first gear is differently shaped then the others and it's difficult to get into at higher revs (ie, downshifting).
Old 01-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
Dudes, here is what i have to add to this case:

When coming to a stop light going about 10mph -> ZERO, I can't put the fucking gear from 2nd into 1st. It won't let me..at least not without FORCE.

I think thats normal of a manual tranny. I have had that happen on all my other manuals (84 subaru :P ,96 GSR, 99 Prelude) I think its made so you cant easaly shift into first with the RPM's to high.

I have no "grinding" of gears when I shift to 2nd but it sometimes is not compleatly smooth. Like it kinda klunks when it goes into 2nd but nothing major I dont think....well for now at least I have 15k so far
Old 01-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Instructor

There was a rather lengthy thread on this in the tranny forum a while back. I think more than a couple of folks have discussed the popping out of first at about 4k rpm, but chalked that up to don't wanna do that anyway.

The grinding into 2nd is more of an issue. From time to time under normal driving I my tranny does grind shifting to 2nd and is very "notchy" to say the least. I had my dealer take it for a test drive and they felt there was a burr on the gear syncro cluster. They are willing to replace it, but recommended I wait to see if it works itself out with time (only have 5k miles now).

I think the 6 spd is a rock solid tranny, don't think anyone's trying to say it's anything close to the problems w/ the slushboxes. I hope this thread doesn't turn into another "you can't drive stick" like the last one did because this could be a helpful thread. There are variances in the manufacture of any part. Point being, I think some have bonafide problems, some have near-perfect cars.

I've had the dealer enter detailed information about my experiences w/ 2nd gear into their technical database 2 times just in case anyone did a search on it.

-- Nihil
Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Slimey
Many people don't downshift (at high revs) from 2nd to 1st when coming to the light, and Honda, for some reason, has prevented this.
I NEVER grab 1st unless I知 at a complete stop.
If I知 rolling even at 2MPH I grab 2nd and accelerate from there.

I think I知 doing it right.
That痴 with 19 years of driving and close to 350,000-miles of stick shift experience under by belt.

Shawn S
Old 01-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Shawn S

Exactly
Old 01-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Shawn S - I agree. That's good shifting.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Ditto

Originally posted by slyraskal
I've noticed on mine that when i shift to 2nd it's sometimes a little stiff, but that's only when the engine is really cold. after it warms up a little bit it seems to be just fine. (praying)
I notice the same thing... but after the whip gets warm, she slides through the gears.

I downshift into first every so often without a problem at all... You just need to be gentle and let the clutch out slower. But this stretches the springs on the clutch and is not good if you do it while moving faster than 5-10 MPH... If you not very experienced at driving a manual, do not do it.

Smitty
Old 01-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Where is my super sauce?

If I知 rolling even at 2MPH I grab 2nd and accelerate from there.

I think I知 doing it right.
That痴 with 19 years of driving and close to 350,000-miles of stick shift experience under by belt.

Shawn S
Ditto (x 22 years).

Quick Reply: I may be the first to have the 6spd tranny replaced