Hub centering rings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Hub centering rings?

Well the dealer cocked one of my hub centering rings the other day when they were doing a brake inspection (see, the crass is not always greener)

Anyway, I can manufacture a new one easily, but is it worth the hassle? Tirerack mush have sent them for a reason, but the taperlock lugs should center the wheel just fine right?

What do you guys think?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a thread on this before.

I think a guy on Ebay had them.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ight=hub+rings
Old 04-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Depneds if your car is hub-centric or if the bolts are designed to take the load.

In hub centric cars, if the hub is to big, during hard conering, it's possible that the force will strip the lugs, and you'll lose the wheel. The lugs we're no designed to take the load of the car and it is very possible to lose a wheel when you most need it.

So, to answer your question, yes you NEED them. Not only is it possible to damage the lugs, it is unsafe to drive the car like that for too long, especially if you like to toss the car around.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by mclarenf3387
If they sent you hub-centering rings, the rims are obviously hub-centric.

In hub centric cars, if the hub is to big, during hard conering, it's possible that the force will strip the lugs, and you'll lose the wheel. The lugs we're no designed to take the load of the car and it is very possible to lose a wheel when you most need it.

So, to answer your question, yes you NEED them. Not only is it possible to damage the lugs, it is unsafe to drive the car like that for too long, especially if you like to toss the car around.
Right...search owns me

Thanks though, this will help immensley...I will go ahead and MFG some new ones. I intend to toss the car around...the winters are off of these wheels and they are now my autox setup, soooo yeah they're gonna get tossed.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Here's the guy on Ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Tire...isplayZ2QQtZkm
Old 04-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually it depends if the car is hub-centric. On your average GM, the lugs were designed to carry the load, thats why they have the bolts on the hub and you have a lug nut.

Most german cars are hub-centric, where the hub carrys the load. If the hub is too big, it is UNSAFE. The lugs were not designed to carry the load of the vehicle and will strip out and you can lose a wheel. Most german cars the lugs are a bolt and the hub has a taped hole to insert the bolt, this=weak by itself.

Not sure how the G's are designed. If its has studs on th hub, its probably not hub-centric, so its not needed, but they do help. If it is hub-centric, the hub has holes for bolts to be inserted(lug nut is actually a bolt) than the car is probably hub-centric and then you need the rings.