how much to repaint the whole cls..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 02:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much to repaint the whole cls..

i mean how much to repaint the whole cls..i mean the whole car...roughly how much..because my cls got scratch by some suckers very badly
Old 08-19-2002, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
$2000 (U.S.) minimum. unless you know someone in the trade or want a shitty job.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah 2k plus EASY....for a good job. Go to maco and your car will look like crap.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I would think it's much more than that. Probably close to $4000.

Why not report it to insurance? Typically, and I say typically so I don't get flamed for this, insurance companies will not raise your rates for a vandalism claim.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by mattg
$2000 (U.S.) minimum.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

personally getting the whole car painted is a waste of money

believe it or not no matter how shitty our factory paint quality is its better than any body shop PERIOD.

it is almost impossible to replicate the stock paint

when they paint the cars in the factory it is actually painted by a computer and they use complex machinary to make sure the paint blends perfect with the different body composite like plastic and metal. they also give the car an electical spray? to make the paint stick better too...

I believe you should just repaint whatever u need to repaint and nothing more.

$4000 will get you a complete paint job but you will be able to tell that the car has been completely repainted. ive seen cars completely repainted and they look decent but its just the small places like the door edges, hood edges and where the bumper and the rest of the body meets you can tell its been repainted because the paint looks a bit off or not as uniform...

i think if you want to make it look like the first day you bought it you will have to spend at least $10,000

sidemarker
Old 08-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Balla on a Budget

$2000 ya right! Its like $1k just for the bumpers alone! Im thinkin around $4k. I went to a body shop here in San Jose, and they said the entire car is like $6k, but i think thats a rip.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

can you fuckers read? gawd damn.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

btw, sidemarker, you are wrong.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg
btw, sidemarker, you are wrong.
care to eloborate?

sidemarker
Old 08-19-2002, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

if you go to a good shop, a $4000 job should be as good or better than factory.

$10,000 spent on paint, w/ minimal bodywork would buy you a concourse job, cut and buffed flat, show perfect. less $$ than that even.

now if there is bodywork involved it changes everything.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:52 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

yeah, 4K sounds about right to me... at least for a "factory quality" job say at a dealership owned body shop or something...
Old 08-19-2002, 03:58 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

2K? good luck trying to get a good job for 2K... that's gonna be crappy...
Old 08-19-2002, 04:06 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
$4000 MINIMUM for a HIGH QUALITY job.

Don't try to get it for less cuz you will receive less in return. This is one of those times where paying more is better.

and sidemarker... yes... you are VERY wrong.

A good bodyshop can perform a paint job which will look, outlast, and perform better then the factory paint job. Especially our factory paint job.

If I had the cash I would repaint my car in a SECOND.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by soopa
$4000 MINIMUM for a HIGH QUALITY job.

Don't try to get it for less cuz you will receive less in return. This is one of those times where paying more is better.

and sidemarker... yes... you are VERY wrong.

A good bodyshop can perform a paint job which will look, outlast, and perform better then the factory paint job. Especially our factory paint job.

If I had the cash I would repaint my car in a SECOND.
i dont understand why people are saying im so wrong?

the first time will be the best one. ask any body shop you cant repaint a car 3 or 4 times and expect it to look any better, it will actually be a little bit duller. It is a fact that paint does fade and chip away after normal wear but this process can be slowed down by washing and waxing the paint.

when u take it to a body shop they have some guy spray on the paint. i am pretty sure that not all of the car will have EVEN layers of paint and this could effect the quality of the paint job. At the factory the car is painted with a fresh body and with a machine plus the body gets all kinds of treatment to assure that the paint sticks well to the car. In a shop they have all kinds of small debris everywhere from sanding and dust, etc. this could get on the car and effect the way the paint sticks to the car. At the honda plant the car just goes through a car wash process where its pretty much nothing but paint and nothing else.

Our paint does not suck. its the fact that our cars body is made up of some real soft materials. and that is why the paint chips. the soft materials like our bumpers and hoods dosent allow the paint to stick as well as other cars. the softer the material the more flexing it does especially when a small rock hits our hood then boom there goes a piece of paint.

go take a look at the lexus or mercedes or bmw they use the same paint process as honda. there paint doesent chip because they have a harder material thus allowing the paint to stick better and allow more durablity....

still dont believe me?

take a look at a honda civic it should have 3 times more rock chips. the car is made out of paper.

sidemarker
Old 08-19-2002, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

this body shop owner told me this

no matter where u take your car and how much you spend for the paint job it all comes down to the person who paints your car. Not everyone is perfect but some people can do better jobs than others.

another thing

the right side of my car has been repainted when the car was only 3 days old
repainted by the acura dealership
there is bubbles everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

sidemarker
Old 08-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Racer

Based on my experience I agree with sidemarker. Everytime I've been in an accident the worst part of the repair job is always the paint. Also I agree that on average a computer/machine paint job (factory) is going to be better than one done by some dude with a big airbrush/paint gun.

Im sure there are a few shops out there that can do an as good or better than stock job, but those places are probably expensive as hell and hard to find.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by beestea
Based on my experience I agree with sidemarker. Everytime I've been in an accident the worst part of the repair job is always the paint. Also I agree that on average a computer/machine paint job (factory) is going to be better than one done by some dude with a big airbrush/paint gun.

Im sure there are a few shops out there that can do an as good or better than stock job, but those places are probably expensive as hell and hard to find.
thats what im saying. i also got my san marino red accord rear bumper replaced because i was rearended. that thing did not match up at all also i had to go back and get it repainted cause it started to crack...

and like i said a complete car repaint is about $10,000 to make it as good as factory...

sidemarker
Old 08-19-2002, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

seriously though, it seems you have had some bad experiences, and i would bet a lot of people do. but $10,000 is a re-damn-diculous number for factory paintjob.

i want to reply to a post you made earlier in this thread but i don't have time now. i will later.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Drifting

i had the pass. side door, left rear quarter panel and the trunklid painted and blended, and the hood completely painted and the cost was about $2800. the paint is indistinguishable from the original paint except for some swirl marks on the hood from the buffer, but i took care of that. the paintjob on the hood is much more durable than the original, judging by the reduced number of stone chips that would normally be there by now. overall i am very pleased with the results. as for the cost and the reason why i did it, the car got keyed and my insurance co. picked up the tab.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

My friend's owns a auto body shop in Cali. and to get the entire car repainted it will cost about $4000. Yes, it does depend on who paints ur car...if that person is doing for quality or if they are doing it just for your money! Depend on ur car color and how many coats they have to go over. Pearl colors will usually be extra because they have the extra coat of the "sparkley" pearls.

On to color matching...yes...color matching is hard to do. The colors don't come pre-mixed for you. The shops do have computers that they run the computer through...they will give several matching shades and the painter will have to ultimatly pick out the one that matches the closest.

All of you guys know "White Diamond Pearl", i have a WDP TL-S, and i tell you this is one of the most HARDEST color to match...my bumpers didn't even match even with the FACTORY paint. The factory can't even match it, how do you expect your local shop to. A lot of WDP oweners had their bumpers painted 3 times before they matched.

"Its like $1k just for the bumpers alone"

God Damn!!! Where the hell are u getting ur bumper painted at?

"i had the pass. side door, left rear quarter panel and the trunklid painted and blended, and the hood completely painted and the cost was about $2800."

Did you claim insurance? Usually body shops will charge differently if ur pay with ur own money or if your claiming with insurance. If you claim with insurance, they know that they can make more money so they will estimite higher. If your paying cash..they will charge less. Body shops around here charge $35/ hr. and most of the charges is from preparing to paint the car. They car hours for taking out window, the window molding to take out the panel to paint it and to put it all back. They have a manual/computer program which tells them how much time it will take them to do something and how much they should charge for what.

Factory paint is done by machine...this could be a good thing and a bad thing. We think machines are better at doing things and most things they are, but there are some things that they are not. The reason why they paint by machine is -- it's more economical...machine can paint car faster = make more cars in the same amount of time, you don't have to "pay" the machine, just maintane it, and less chance of "error". When you look, the TL/CL are mostly built by machine...we think that is better, but when you look at the NSX, which is mostly built by hand...which one is made with better quaility? Building by hand is more time/money consuming...but the builder takes his time to do his work and to check if it's right...but you have a machine and the assembly line, the machine is programmed to do "thing and that" at " this point and that point" it doesn't know if it's acutaully doing it right, on the assembly line, you get like 20 sec to put in a chair, if you fall behind it's not gonna shop for u, ur not gonna have time to go back and fix it.

Back to the topic..well, i think you can get a good paint job that ppl can't notice that it has been repainted for around $4000...if you know someone and they are welling to knock off the labor you can get it for about 2000
Old 08-20-2002, 03:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AcuraTLSFan
My friend's owns a auto body shop in Cali. and to get the entire car repainted it will cost about $4000. Yes, it does depend on who paints ur car...if that person is doing for quality or if they are doing it just for your money! Depend on ur car color and how many coats they have to go over. Pearl colors will usually be extra because they have the extra coat of the "sparkley" pearls.

On to color matching...yes...color matching is hard to do. The colors don't come pre-mixed for you. The shops do have computers that they run the computer through...they will give several matching shades and the painter will have to ultimatly pick out the one that matches the closest.

All of you guys know "White Diamond Pearl", i have a WDP TL-S, and i tell you this is one of the most HARDEST color to match...my bumpers didn't even match even with the FACTORY paint. The factory can't even match it, how do you expect your local shop to. A lot of WDP oweners had their bumpers painted 3 times before they matched.

"Its like $1k just for the bumpers alone"

God Damn!!! Where the hell are u getting ur bumper painted at?

"i had the pass. side door, left rear quarter panel and the trunklid painted and blended, and the hood completely painted and the cost was about $2800."

Did you claim insurance? Usually body shops will charge differently if ur pay with ur own money or if your claiming with insurance. If you claim with insurance, they know that they can make more money so they will estimite higher. If your paying cash..they will charge less. Body shops around here charge $35/ hr. and most of the charges is from preparing to paint the car. They car hours for taking out window, the window molding to take out the panel to paint it and to put it all back. They have a manual/computer program which tells them how much time it will take them to do something and how much they should charge for what.

Factory paint is done by machine...this could be a good thing and a bad thing. We think machines are better at doing things and most things they are, but there are some things that they are not. The reason why they paint by machine is -- it's more economical...machine can paint car faster = make more cars in the same amount of time, you don't have to "pay" the machine, just maintane it, and less chance of "error". When you look, the TL/CL are mostly built by machine...we think that is better, but when you look at the NSX, which is mostly built by hand...which one is made with better quaility? Building by hand is more time/money consuming...but the builder takes his time to do his work and to check if it's right...but you have a machine and the assembly line, the machine is programmed to do "thing and that" at " this point and that point" it doesn't know if it's acutaully doing it right, on the assembly line, you get like 20 sec to put in a chair, if you fall behind it's not gonna shop for u, ur not gonna have time to go back and fix it.

Back to the topic..well, i think you can get a good paint job that ppl can't notice that it has been repainted for around $4000...if you know someone and they are welling to knock off the labor you can get it for about 2000
ok now i guess everyone dosent like the number i am throwing around. ok maybe $10,000 could be a little excessive but there are the comptech headers that are going for $1,200 msrp. i am not saying the average joe body shop is going to charge 10k to repaint your car hell there are places that will do it for $500. but if painting your car is done by a professional well its kind of like NBA athletes, they are all talented and professionals at what they do but why does kobe bryant make more than chuck person? obviously kobe is a better player so he gets paid more same goes with a paint job. better painters will want to get paid more money for doing a better job then others. Now maybe they dont charge 10k maybe they charge 8k all i know it has to be expensive as hell to make the car look like it just came fresh out of the dealership.

of course matching paint is difficult and no shop or dealership can come 100% accurate. but if you took your car and switched bumpers with someone else with the same color you could not tell the difference.

honda/acura paint hundreds of cars a day using their computers and machinary and there is probably less than 1% of those vehicles with a poor paint finish.

ive had several cars that had paint touch-ups and new bumpers that needed to be repainted. if autobody paint shops were so good why cant they get it right the first time?

AGAIN: I could ONLY IMAGINE a factory like paint job would cost $10,000

sidemarker
Old 08-20-2002, 04:22 AM
Banned

i'd just stick to acura paint. take it back to your acura dealer? maybe they will refer u to a good paint shop.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Well sidemarker, you aren't totally wrong after all.

I asked my friend in more detail about paint process/material/procedures...etc. and it seems there exists a paint job that is $10,000!!!!

This $10,000 paint job procedure will give you:
1) A mirror paint job...i'm saying SUPER DUPER shiny/mirror like!
2) Way better than Factory Paint
3) All the layer of paint will be thick and it will out last the car.
4) No rock/pebble can chip this paint. *reasonable amount of force*

The job consist of painting the car 3 times...paint, then sand a bit, paint, then sand a bit, and then paint again. Usual paint jobs are 2 layered which consist of 5 coat, 2 undercoats and 3 color coats.

This paint job is better than any factory paint job "INMGINABLE" *so i was told*....but for $10,000 i wouldn't expect any less. No car manufactor uses the process..not even MB, or any other Exotic manufactur...it can only be found as a "after market" option.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:26 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

nice

Just look at Aeg CLs he said he spent 4k, and I believe that included the shaved door handles and loads of clear coat. Cant remember off hand...but it looks sweet. Heres the link

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=76262
Old 08-22-2002, 08:31 AM
The Creator

sidemarker...

you have totally ruined your credibility on this matter by claiming that our paint job is the same as BMW or Lexus.

and that our hood material is SOFTER then theirs?!?!?! steel is steel buddy.

Acura uses a 3-coat 1-bake paint process on all but the MDX and the RL which get better 4-coat 2-bake paint jobs.

BMW uses a 7-coat, 7-bake paint processs...

Lexus uses 8-coats, im not sure how many times that paint is baked and cured.

Mercedes is 8-coat as well.

while you made valid assumptions... there is no way of arguing that an aftermarket paint job CAN exceed a factory job.

yes, after accidents cars typically look worse. why? mainly because insurance companies are cheap, and after accidetns people dont want to get on a waiting list like most GOOD body shops have. two, the car usually isnt FULLY sanded/repainted... it is simply blended, which means you have to color match.

plenty of good body shops have "clean-rooms" which are air quality and enviromentally controlled for optimum painting conditions.

now, i dont know how to prove this to you other then to say SEE AN ACURA WHICH HAS HAD A QUALITY FULL REPAINT!!!

you will change your tune.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:37 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

thus my post above

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=76262
Old 08-22-2002, 08:38 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by sidemarker
take a look at a honda civic it should have 3 times more rock chips. the car is made out of paper.

again... totally discrediting yourself and proving others points.

the Honda Civic has the same 3-coat, 1-bake paint process as our car.

same method, same paint, same damn thang.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:39 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are gonna repaint it..........do something different, which will probably cost like 4-6 grand.......but your car would be totally unique!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:47 AM
The Creator

repainting in your factory color and repainting in a new color are also totally different stories.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:42 PM
go like hell

a lot depends on the kind of paint you want but I'm not a paint shop so don't hold me to this price but I'd budget ATLEAST 3000 bucks but I wouldn't pay more than 5000 unless #1 you have a lot of dings(which i hope you don't) #2 Your having a unique unique paint shot onto your car(like Dupont's Chromolusion) #3 The guy doing is known for bad ass paint jobs
but whatever you do don't take it to those sucky paint shops that are like 300 or 400 buck specials. they only apply one good maybe 2 thin coats of paint.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:26 PM
:)

has anyone chromed their entire car? (not talking about just CLs of course) is this even legal? Your car would just be one big mirror.... i wonder how it would look on the road...
Old 08-22-2002, 11:54 PM
The Creator

Originally posted by pofi
has anyone chromed their entire car? (not talking about just CLs of course) is this even legal? Your car would just be one big mirror.... i wonder how it would look on the road...
its illegal...

overly reflective... blinding to other drivers.. etc etc.

however... it is NOT illegal to have a chrome bike
Old 08-23-2002, 03:29 AM
Senior Moderator

i've seen an astro van w/ chromed front fenders and hood