How long do CL/TL batteries last?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long do CL/TL batteries last?

Owning a few hondas and an Integra before - noticed how their Delcos or whichever they used last for around 3 years.. after which they would slowly deteriorate... and right before the complete failure I had like couple of days... before being stranded.

Curious how often / when did you guys replace CL/TL's battery if ever ?? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How long do CL/TL batteries last?

Originally posted by patek007
Owning a few hondas and an Integra before - noticed how their Delcos or whichever they used last for around 3 years.. after which they would slowly deteriorate... and right before the complete failure I had like couple of days... before being stranded.

Curious how often / when did you guys replace CL/TL's battery if ever ?? Thanks in advance.
I'm closing in on 3.5-years, and I need to keep a good charge in mine. If I leave it for a few days, it powers-up, but I can tell that the starter is just a tad slow.

I’m now considering my options for a new battery, and I haven’t been stranded – and I don’t plan to be either!

I'd guess that the OEM battery is good for 2- to 4-years of life, depending on usage...
Old 04-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I had mine replace after 2.5 years....but I did leave my car on all night....so I got a new one under warranty...so I should be good for a while!
Old 04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Nikky.... GREAD IDEA.... EricL... you think we should do that ?? kidding.... If you or anyone get theirs, get them at Costco - I believe theirs is a year warantee... i.e. no q's asked... and then.. the regular prorate.. - just save those DAMNED receipts ... I also believe their 'kiosk' recommends more amps rating then the stocked one. Ironically, I didn't keep cars enough to test out how long the Costco's lasted... but more then 3 years.. now that I think about it..

After the new one is installed, not only the cranking... but the thing I notice most is how BRIGHTER all the leds/lamps, etc on the dashboards are.. vs. with the old one ...
Old 04-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Nikky.... GREAD IDEA.... EricL... you think we should do that ?? kidding.... If you or anyone get theirs, get them at Costco - I believe theirs is a year warantee... i.e. no q's asked... and then.. the regular prorate.. - just save those DAMNED receipts ... I also believe their 'kiosk' recommends more amps rating then the stocked one. Ironically, I didn't keep cars enough to test out how long the Costco's lasted... but more then 3 years.. now that I think about it..

After the new one is installed, not only the cranking... but the thing I notice most is how BRIGHTER all the leds/lamps, etc on the dashboards are.. vs. with the old one ...
I'm seriously considering getting the battery over at Costco.

And, by "charging" (at least with the car's own electrical system) I definitely mean keeping the RPMs up around town (2 - 4k rpm).
Old 04-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Instructor

EricL... do Costco - you cannot go wrong... and then... per my sources, just as with the motor belts - there are only 3 manufacturers that make batteries... even though there are hundreds of brands... so all are pretty much the same. Also, since Costco is a billion+ company - they do not care as much of the 'excuses' people use to return the stuff if something is of issue... .

one thing when I change batteries - I use a cheap charger/alternator checking device to ensure there are no electric leaks or shorts in the system - they are about $10 from Radio shack or any auto store... They are pretty nifty since 'sense' resistance/current variations in our electric systems - this will show is there is any wiring that gets 'exposed' over time...
Old 04-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Mine went ka-putt after 4yrs and some odd months, Came back from a long weekend break and it wouldn't start anymore.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

EricL... do Costco - you cannot go wrong... and then... per my sources, just as with the motor belts - there are only 3 manufacturers that make batteries... even though there are hundreds of brands... so all are pretty much the same. Also, since Costco is a billion+ company - they do not care as much of the 'excuses' people use to return the stuff if something is of issue... .

one thing when I change batteries - I use a cheap charger/alternator checking device to ensure there are no electric leaks or shorts in the system - they are about $10 from Radio shack or any auto store... They are pretty nifty since 'sense' resistance/current variations in our electric systems - this will show is there is any wiring that gets 'exposed' over time...
Exposed wiring:

Yeah, I have a friend that exchanges more than their fair share of merchandise over there. They never complain, are always friendly.

I've got a nice DVM (or two), and some large current probes and shunts, so I'm all set for electric check-up world.

The CLS is really hungry for power when sitting. (Feed me, feed me...)
Old 04-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont know i replaced mine in mid february... A year and 1 month old
Old 04-02-2004, 03:52 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally posted by KissMy_Type_S
I dont know i replaced mine in mid february... A year and 1 month old
Mine's 2 years and 1 month and it's still good. Could the colder weather in NY shorten life?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont think so... I think I just have real bad luck with batteries
Old 04-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Under 4 years

Mine just went out this afternoon (2001 CL-S). Had some slow cranks during the week: should have known!
I don't have a Costco membership, so what should I replace it with? And don't say Delco....

Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Racer

Hot summers are tougher on batteries than cold winters.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny Rad
Hot summers are tougher on batteries than cold winters.
That didn't quite sound right to me so I did a quick search and found:
If the temperature gets too warm, the chemical reactions within the battery are accelerated and its life may be shortened. If the battery gets too cold, the chemical reactions are slowed down which reduces the battery output.
Source: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...7336.Eg.r.html

I hate chemistry because I suck at it :o