how hard is it to drive stick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how hard is it to drive stick?

i never droven a stick stift car b4.. i know the basics how to drive it... im telling my brother to get an is300 or the new maxima with stick. since he goes to work everyday he and me could switch off cars... he knows how to drive a stick but i dont how hard is it??
questions:
1. do you switch gears at redline on the rpm.? or do you just feel it or something??
2. when do you press the clucth? right b4 you switch gears or at the same time.?
3. what does holding your clutch mean?
4. when your stoped at a red light your gear should be on what? rev.?? or 1.??
5. how long does it take to learn to drive stick.?(fast learner)
6. i heard if you fu*k up the clutch how much is it to fix.??
7. hmmm what are the downside of getting a stick instead of auto.??and why.?

thank you

-----------------------------
ACURA 3.2 CL TYPE-S
--black/black
-navi.system
-spoiler
-mud guards
-v1
Old 06-23-2001, 05:47 PM
White Lightning

Tell your brother to teach you. Its not so hard. I just learned it and it was pretty easy to learn.

------------------
NightHawk Black CL-S
Black Interior
Clear Headlights
Nokyo Halogen Bulb Artic White
AEM Cold Air Induction
NaviLess
Now Working to Get Springs
Old 06-23-2001, 05:49 PM
Pro

1. Most of the time, you get used to driving the car, and can tell when you need to shift.
2. Press clutch in, change gears, let clutch out
3. Not sure, I think it just means pressing the clutch in and keeping it in
4. You can put it in neutral or 1st. Reverse would confuse other drivers
5. an hour or so
6. depends on the car
7. Stop and go traffic is the only downside
Old 06-23-2001, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not answering your question, but maybe this will help (possibly).

See if you can get a rental car as a test mule.

A lot of people, who are at first intimidated by trying a "stick", feel a little more at ease using or trying the stick in a rental car.

Sounds brutal, but it is easy, and like most things, the less pressure, the better.

(just a thought...)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-23-2001, 06:22 PM
Pro

after driving for a little bit everyday driving stick will be cake
Old 06-23-2001, 06:31 PM
Instructor

The downside of driving a stick is that you'll never want to drive an automatic again! Once you really learn how to DRIVE one (heel and toe, etc..) it is real hard to have fun driving an auto.

------------------
2001 CL Type S Silver
unloaded
1999 Corvette Convertible Sebring Silver
6 speed BPP 394+ HP package
Eclipse HU, AMP, Changer
Diamond HEX silk speakers
JL Audio Stealth with MTX THUNDER
Ripper with VooDoo shift knob
2001 BMW X5 Black
WeatherTech Mats
Old 06-23-2001, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Your question on how hard is it to drive stick will seem positively ridiculous to you once you do it. Sure, you may stall once in a while on hills getting the timing but its cake. It's all second nature in an hour OR LESS. Thats is unless your a klutz from birth.

The correct question is how hard CAN I drive a stick.

Try it but, as already mentioned, unless your a bit older (doubtful) or drive constantly in traffic than you may never go back to auto.

Questions
1 - redline or below, depends on how you want to drive at the moment. And yes you just feel it.

2. Unless your in neutral you shift and clutch at the same time. In first gear your releasing the clutch slower so as not to stall. Unless your taking off quick.

3. Pressing the clutch and keeping you foot on it.

4. Usually in neutral but it can be in any gear since your stopped anyway (holding the clutch). You usually want to leave from stop in first gear but depending on stuff like snow or kicks you might try second gear but its a bit longer on letting out the clutch if your not accelerating out of first.

5. average = 18 minutes for 4 cyl.
23 minutes for a 6, 25 minutes for an 8cyl.

6. depends on your car and if you have a mechanic named Louie. My old and somewhat rare 914 Porsche used to cost me about $300 way back in the 70's.
My Lancia was so rare I have since forced myself to forget the price. Oh that Louie.

7. sticks are mucho fun but sometimes you want to relax a bit so an auto is fun.
Remember if you buy a manual trans then you guaranteed a clutch job every so often.

Have fun.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
17x7.5 BBS RX Rims
K&N Dropin AF
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
DOM 5/00 #9177
My Car
More Pics
Old 06-23-2001, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WildWolf:
The downside of driving a stick is that you'll never want to drive an automatic again! Once you really learn how to DRIVE one (heel and toe, etc..) it is real hard to have fun driving an auto.

</font>
Well.... yes and no (heel and toe, and every crash box trick you can think off...)

I would never buy a Porsche with an auto (but then there is that old saying about never say never...) I remember saying that after learning to really drive a stick well. (I drove a stick 20 years more after knowing how to drive one VERy well.)

I also remember cursing my stick in a sig altert one day. I pushed in the clutch about 1000 times one day to go about 3 miles (a truck knocked a piece of a freeway pedestrian overcrossing down into the road way). It took me more than three hours to exit the freeway. My knee, that had almost healed, needed another six weeks to heal up after the up-and-down workout on the clutch.

We try and maintain 2 cars -- one a stick and the other an auto -- so that "fun factor" is always around (You're right, there is nothing like rowing some gears in the hills ). By the same token, whoever has to hit the dreaded freeway at least can get stuck in comfort.

(Just something to think about from someone who love sticks and thinks that people would do themselves well to at least try them...)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-23-2001, 09:06 PM
Instructor

You really want to learn on some old beater car, but once you learn you'll probably not go back until you have kids(lots) or loose a leg and an arm.

The CL is my first non-manual car... and I am going crazy. Especially because I realize the potential of this car with stick shift.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-24-2001, 04:41 AM
Retired. Not available.

</font>
IMO, it's not necessary true. After driving stick in Houston traffic, I found true joy in my ex-Prelude with auto. With Houston traffic, "stop-and-go" doesn't describe it very well. I'd like to call it "stop-move 1 foot-stop" . Again I'm super happy with my CL-S and wouldn't even consider getting stick even I had a very good deal.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Silver Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Sport Pedals
Customed self-installed sound system with 5-channel Kenwood Amp and 10in. Pioneer sub. in Customized box.
(modified) CAI.
Meshed grill.
My Pride
DOM 01/2001 #31432
Old 06-24-2001, 11:11 AM
Instructor

After driving stick shift for more than 40 years, it's a pleasure to drive a CLS with auto and sport shift. It's a great combination. Stick shift does not work too well in NYC traffic.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:19 AM
Old timer

I would definitely buy a Porsche with an auto.... the one with the paddle shifters that shifts ungodly fast. Duh.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
50% tint sides, 35% back.
J&J RAP CAI
Old 06-24-2001, 11:41 AM
acurreo

</font>
Exactly... Also, you can also release a lot stress. Whenever I'm pissed or have something on my mind, I go for a drive. You can usually tell the persons mood when driving standard with them.

You can't become an expert in driving standard over night. You become better and better everyday. Its experience. Specially the heal/toe tricks, dam... Standard is so fun!

------------------
Confused Individual
Old 06-24-2001, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Think everyone covered it all above on technique. One link to try is http://www.learn2.com/06/0689/0689.asp and it covers the basics. Once you get comfortable with that, move on to double clutching, heel & toeing, matching revs correctly, etc (i.e., the fun stuff ). I hate autos but in monster traffic (e.g. rush hour Atlanta ) they do save your left leg. And sanity
Old 06-24-2001, 01:22 PM
Instructor

If I had to drive in traffic EVERYDAY- like in NY or LA or Houston (I've never experienced Houston personally) then I would probably get a automatic beater commuter car for the traffic (Accord, Taurus,etc comes to mind). In my eyes that is not driving- but commuting.

------------------
2001 CL Type S Silver
unloaded
1999 Corvette Convertible Sebring Silver
6 speed BPP 394+ HP package
Eclipse HU, AMP, Changer
Diamond HEX silk speakers
JL Audio Stealth with MTX THUNDER
Ripper with VooDoo shift knob
2001 BMW X5 Black
WeatherTech Mats
Old 06-25-2001, 12:51 AM
Banned

I learned how to drive stick in my friends 1984 Toyota Tercel station wagon . It was so f*cked up already there wasn't anything bad I could do to it. Hehe, talk about no pressure...

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony Interior w/out Nav
Old 06-25-2001, 01:12 AM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

try it...you'll like it!!! in a week or so you won't even look back. i'm going crazy with the automatic!!! and if you know what you're doing, rush hour ain't so bad

------------------
you are not your fukking signature.
Old 06-25-2001, 02:12 AM
Banned

Just got my clutch replaced yesterday (Saturday) for $1000 installed by BMW dealer.

I'm back to kicking ass on the road

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-25-2001, 08:03 AM
Advanced

I'm not going to answer specifics about your questions, but just to say that I learned to drive stick when I bought my '96 Integra (in '96)..yes I learned on my new Integra! A friend of mine showed me a couple of basics and I of course stalled a couple of times at lights or stop signs, but once you get the feel for your car and clutch it's like riding a bike. And about the clutch, I think they are much more bullet-proof than they were years ago...I learned on my car and when I traded in at 85,000 miles the clutch was still in good shape, so don't worry too much about that! Have fun with it....just not too much!

------------------
2001 Eternal Blue Pearl Cl-P
Old 06-25-2001, 07:57 PM
Banned

Having a stick is nice if you don't have a stop and go commute. If you lived in SF, where a lot of people do have sticks..you become one of the best stick drivers in the world...just because of the horrendous hills out here..

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter with Cold Air Funnel and Ram Air Attachment
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples