How do you guys MERGE onto a highway ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 12:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Postscript to earlier post. Even if your merging technique is flawless, you can be tripped up by another driver ahead of you on the ramp. If the driver ahead is one of those who thinks it's OK to merge at 35, you're in trouble. The solution is to hesitate at the top of the ramp, and let the slow traffic ahead (on the ramp) clear the ramp entirely. THEN, you have an opportunity to enter the freeway at the proper speed. This technicue may irritate someone behind you on the ramp, but don't let their impatience induce you to attempt a merge at 35 mph behind a slow vehicle. You may well be rear ended.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by EricS
I agree wholeheartly. Its my #1 driving pet peeve. #2 is people driving too slow & not passing anyone in the hammer lane. If you ain't passing anyone move the hell over.
I'm with you guys 100% on these 2 pet peaves. Another one is lane changes. I try to be courteous and signal a lane change. Problem is 9 times out of 10, the person in the lane will accelerate to close the gap I was trying to get into. I've learned not to use my turn signal for this reason. Now if I'm bored while driving, I will turn on my signal just to see if I can get some tool to accelerate, thinking their blocking me. Try it some time, you'll see I'm right.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I agree with Shawn all the way on this one.

While I do agree with everyone else that stopping on the merge ramp is not necessarily a good thing, it's usually the right thing if there no room for you to merge onto the highway (but, if you adjust your speed, you should find a spot). I'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but in NY (and most surrounding areas) there is usually a yield sign on the ramp. What that means is that you (the person merging onto the highway) have to yield the right of way to the traffic on the highway. If that means that you do not have a spot to merge, you MUST stop, period. If you gun it and cut someone off, that is a traffic violation and you can get a ticket (I've seen it). If you get hit or cause an an accident while merging... it's your fault, period. Even if there is no actual yield sign.... the traffic on the highway still has the right of way, so you're still wrong.

Now, I'll agree that while the law is absolute, some of the on-ramps around the country are tough.... that's not a question. But most of the methods on here, while they usually work out 98% of the time could get you a ticket. If someone rear-ends you should you happen on the on-ramp, it's their fault all of the way, b/c you were yielding the right of way to the freeway traffic, and they should have been doing the same thing. Remember, it's an on-ramp to merge onto the freeway... it's not a lane on the freeway.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Slam!

what the hell "shawn S"?!?!!??! never stop...dammmit man, only shitty drivers do that...good drivers can allllwwwwwwways get in
Old 04-11-2002, 10:40 AM
I Feel Too Old Here

cross my fingers and jump right in!

(kidding)

im usually not on the highway when traffic is heavy so usually there is a few fairly large openings. i get scared shitless when someone speeds up when you merge and ends up less than 1 foot from my ass. NO FUN. but hearing the engine when really accelerating makes it all worth while
Old 04-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Oh man !!!!!
Some PRICELESS comments in this thread.
I see a few agree with me and many others do not.

I think I’m going to have to archive this one on my hard drive so I can check it later for names when I see threads with titles like these:

“Just ran into the back of some idiot who wouldn’t move”
“Was on the highway and some A-Hole came off the onramp right into me”
“Wrecked it because traffic wouldn’t get out of my way”
“I was only doing 90 and......”
....and so on.

I wish everyone would fill in the “birthday” field in the profile section here.
I’m guessing many of the “get out of my way” drivers are in the 16-25 range and don’t have a lot of experience behind the wheel.

Shawn S
Old 04-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by Shawn S
Oh man !!!!!
Some PRICELESS comments in this thread.
I see a few agree with me and many others do not.

I think I’m going to have to archive this one on my hard drive so I can check it later for names when I see threads with titles like these:

“Just ran into the back of some idiot who wouldn’t move”
“Was on the highway and some A-Hole came off the onramp right into me”
“Wrecked it because traffic wouldn’t get out of my way”
“I was only doing 90 and......”
....and so on.

I wish everyone would fill in the “birthday” field in the profile section here.
I’m guessing many of the “get out of my way” drivers are in the 16-25 range and don’t have a lot of experience behind the wheel.

Shawn S
This is too funny, I'm just now seeing this thread. Well the fact of the matter is that Shawn is both right (in principal) and otherwise wrong is reality.

Let's talk about how he is right. You are familiar with meter lights. Those are the two or three traffic lights (with red/yellow/green) that are positioned either at the beginning of the on-ramp or mid-way up the ramp depending on the volume of traffic on that ramp. I have seen these meter lights in Texas, Minnesota, and California. What do they do? They bring ramp traffic to a complete halt while still on the ramp and then release cars one at a time onto the freeway. They are designed to decrease the flow of traffic onto the freeway and to properly space out oncoming cars. In reality, they stop you on the ramp and they let you go [when there is an opening in traffic]. When is there an opening? There's an opening when the light turns green (at least there better be). So what Shawn is doing is being done by millions of drivers everyday and it's the law in some places so it can't be all that difficult and it certainly isn't dangerous to stop first then speed up to merge.

The only part that might be wrong in reality is in the absense of these meter lights, you probably shouldn't stop because drivers behind you don't know what's happening and it causes confusion for most of the unexperienced drivers. You'll probably get people going around you or getting mad and honking or maybe even a rear-end job.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Ken,

Actually, the particular ramp I’m talking about HAS one of those RED/GREEN meters but it is rarely turned on.
There are sensors in the highway that monitor traffic and control if it is used or not.
The spot where I STOP is just a few feet beyond where the light is so I don’t give the impression that I’m waiting for the GREEN light when it isn’t running.

Shawn S
Old 04-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Slam!

heh, u think a 35 year old driver is better than a 25 year old driver? i think after you have driven for a couple years you sort of peak on experience...
Old 04-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by flipwhip
u think a 35 year old driver is better than a 25 year old driver? ...
In most cases....Yes I do.

I think it generally keeps getting better to a certain point when your eyesight and reaction time starts to fail.
Then it goes DOWNHILL fast.

Shawn S
Old 04-11-2002, 04:47 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to be honest. If I came on to a turn ramp and somebody was blocking the ramp which in turn would only allow 2-3 cars a light to get on the ramp, heres what I would do. Pull up right behind their parked ass, reach over to my glove compartment. Pull out my .357, simply walk up to your window, knock politely, and tell you to move. If you gave me the same BS response about merging at the same speed, I would say thank you. Walk back to my car, and on the way shoot out your tires. Finally, I'd give you a nice wave and smile when I pass you.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jwzzz
In Houston , several freeways have traffic signals on the entry ramps. They only let one car on at a time. You have to enter the ramp from a complete stop. It's the dumbest thing yet. They say it increases tfarric flow. It's a complete waste of money,and makes it difficult to merge with traffic.
I agree. I just ignore them and merge on WOT of course.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by flipwhip

heh, u think a 35 year old driver is better than a 25 year old driver? i think after you have driven for a couple years you sort of peak on experience...
I think so, but you could always look at the ages of professional race drivers to get a better idea. You could argue that older drivers just means it takes time to work up in the ranks, but to counter that you could say obviously a reasonable amount of age doesn't slow down your reaction time too much (or younger drivers would be constantly replacing older ones), and clearly the older one has more experience. So, I'd put my money on the 35 year old every time.

And anyone with insurance knows the 16-25 age group causes the largest number of accidents. Of course, part of it with older divers is maturity and realizing it's dumb to be a knucklehead behind the wheel (or at least pick your times to be a knucklehead more wisely).
Old 04-11-2002, 06:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by cob3683
Pull out my .357, simply walk up to your window, knock politely, and tell you to move...... Walk back to my car, and on the way shoot out your tires. Finally, I'd give you a nice wave and smile when I pass you.
Yea…..I’m really believing that.

You got some issues to deal with man. :shakehd:

Shawn S
Old 04-11-2002, 07:31 PM
Burn some dust here

Yea…..I’m really believing that.

You got some issues to deal with man. :shakehd:

Shawn S
I really do have a .357 in my glove compartment. For protection pal. Becuase when I go home to Atlanta its nice to feel somewhat safe if someone would try to take my car. I just made a remark that you are basically holding up traffic by stopping at the end of the merging lane if thats really what you are doing. I was kidding about my remarks by the way. Personally, I think if someone does that all you are doing is holding up traffic.
BTW, you keep attacking my driving abilities everytime I post. But you know whats funny to me? Is that I, if I am a "shitty young driver," I can at least merge into traffic on a highway with having to stop like my grandmother.
just my .02
Old 04-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by cob3683
I really do have a .357 in my glove compartment. For protection pal.
I believe you have one, but I don’t think you’re stupid enough to shoot out someone’s tires for holding up your precious commute for 15-seconds.

EDIT:
*** I had a nice long rant started, but I’m not going to let you pull my chain. ***

Shawn S
Old 04-11-2002, 08:12 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

hey dont be hatin on 16 year olds. a 16 year old driver is in no way as good as a 35 but i think that it is easily within the realm of possibility to say a 19 or 20 year old could be just as good as any old man (35) out there

ps. im kiddin bout the old man thing. being 16 it (35) seems so damn far.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Race Director

I believe you have one, but I don’t think you’re stupid enough to shoot out someone’s tires for holding up your precious commute for 15-seconds.

EDIT:
*** I had a nice long rant started, but I’m not going to let you pull my chain. ***

Shawn S
I know what you mean Shawn, I had a long one, too. Took me 30 minutes. Then I deleted because I just said to my "he's an idiot, I'm not going to waste my time."

But anyway, a student riding around Auburn University (I presume) about 22 years old (again I'm guessing) carrying a loaded 357 Magnum in his glovebox, commuting up and down the Interstate to Atlanta (I've been up and down that freeway several dozen times over the past 15 years and it's full of Alabama State Troopers, GHP, S.O., you name it and it's wide, wide open and prime for speeding), and these people want to debate whether a 20ish kid is just as smart as me (an "old man" at 37 who knows better than to tote a pistol in the glovebox without a license in the deep South).

Tell you want, I'm not so stupid as to land my ass in jail over a loaded handgun that's worthless and is never going to be used on a car thief. Face it, you're never going to shoot that weapon and then be around this forum to tell us about it. You outta concentrate on your studies and make a good life for yourself and put that damn handgun away where it belongs at home. You can't possibly have a legal reason to have a handgun in two different states; it will never fly. I'm telling you...I'm sure the "old man" in the State's Attorney office who prosecutes you for brandishing will think just like me. I'm sure of it.

Now back to lane merging and off this stupid topic on kids and guns.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally posted by kensteele

I know what you mean Shawn, I had a long one, too. Took me 30 minutes. Then I deleted because I just said to my "he's an idiot, I'm not going to waste my time."

But anyway, a student riding around Auburn University (I presume) about 22 years old (again I'm guessing) carrying a loaded 357 Magnum in his glovebox, commuting up and down the Interstate to Atlanta (I've been up and down that freeway several dozen times over the past 15 years and it's full of Alabama State Troopers, GHP, S.O., you name it and it's wide, wide open and prime for speeding), and these people want to debate whether a 20ish kid is just as smart as me (an "old man" at 37 who knows better than to tote a pistol in the glovebox without a license in the deep South).

Tell you want, I'm not so stupid as to land my ass in jail over a loaded handgun that's worthless and is never going to be used on a car thief. Face it, you're never going to shoot that weapon and then be around this forum to tell us about it. You outta concentrate on your studies and make a good life for yourself and put that damn handgun away where it belongs at home. You can't possibly have a legal reason to have a handgun in two different states; it will never fly. I'm telling you...I'm sure the "old man" in the State's Attorney office who prosecutes you for brandishing will think just like me. I'm sure of it.

Now back to lane merging and off this stupid topic on kids and guns.
My point was to talk about the stupidity of stopping at the top of the lane. You wanna talk about the fact that I have a gun in my car, go ahead, I could care less. My point was that I believe stopping at the top was stupid because you are holding up traffic. Now argue that statement guys, not the gun issue.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kensteele
Let's talk about how he is right. You are familiar with meter lights. Those are the two or three traffic lights (with red/yellow/green) that are positioned either at the beginning of the on-ramp or mid-way up the ramp depending on the volume of traffic on that ramp. I have seen these meter lights in Texas, Minnesota, and California. What do they do?
But, these lights are only activated when the traffic is heavy and slow already. It is meant to keep only a few cars at a time on the on-ramp to ease the traffic congestion on the freeway & to keep the freeway traffic moving. They are only used in big cities, not hickville PA :P jk of course.

Some quick links I found & excerpts:

From the US DOT site:

"TIP: The only time you should ever stop on an entrance ramp is when there is no acceleration lane and a yield sign instructs you to wait for a safe gap in traffic. Never back up on a ramp!"

From Tennessee online guide: "Good judgment and good timing are necessary to merge smoothly with the fast-moving traffic. Upon entering the interstate on-ramp, stay to the right and increase your speed in the acceleration lane to allow your car to merge with the traffic when the way is clear. Drivers already on the interstate should, for their own safety, make allowance for those entering. However, it is your responsibility to yield the right-of-way to other cars on the interstate. Unnecessary stopping on interstate on-ramps causes many rear-end collisions and also obstructs the even flow of traffic. Heavy traffic conditions sometimes create a “slowdown” at an entrance ramp, but unless it is absolutely unavoidable, it is best to keep your vehicle moving at least at some slow pace."

Online Driving Instruction:
"Common Mistakes Entering From Acceleration Lane

Many inexperienced drivers have a difficult time in judging the speed and distance of vehicular traffic on the freeway while attempting an entry. They'll slow down or even stop before merging into the traffic flow. Such a maneuver is dangerous and likely to result in a rear-ended collision or multicar pileup. You should get up to the speed of the traffic and smoothly merge into the flow."

And I'm sure I can find plenty more that say never stop on an on-ramp.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Burn some dust here

I know that Atlanta doesnt have these ramp lights. But then again, ATL drivers are as bad as they come.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:00 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by EricS
these lights are only activated when the traffic is heavy and slow alreadyThey are only used in big cities, not hickville PA
PA has Ramp Lights in certain high traffic areas like I mentioned a few pages ago.
The intersection in question does too, but it’s hardly ever turned on.

......allow your car to merge with the traffic when the way is clear. Drivers already on the interstate should, for their own safety, make allowance for those entering. ........You should get up to the speed of the traffic and smoothly merge into the flow."........
I guess in an area where drivers are courteous, don’t tailgate, never speed and obey all other traffic laws this would work.
I’ll remember that next time I’m driving in FANTASY-LAND.

For the “record”, I rarely do this. It’s only when traffic is really bad.
People who stop at the FAR END of the ramp are the BIG problem.
They screw up ALL attempts to properly merge.
I see we have a W-I-D-E variety of opinions here as usual.

Shawn S
Old 04-12-2002, 07:23 AM
Intermediate

This thread is a trip....

Down here in FL it's much easier. The entrance ramps are a good 1/8 mile long. So you just wait for the TRD Corolla with the 200 pound wing on the back and some punk ass 16 yo holding himself up by the steering wheel because his seat is reclined so far he can't see over the wheel. Then you line his dim-ass Xenon wannabe's up in your rear-view and slide in. Ricers are good for something down here besides the laughs.

And when all else fails, wait for the huge gap in traffic because a tourist family in a rented mini-van doesn't know which exit they should take and as such drive 45 mph while looking at a map.

Don't get me started on the q-tips!