How to do a burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to do a burnout?

How to do a burnout @ the track with FWD automatic running on slicks?
BTW how manuals do it? I'm sort of kind of noob at that
Old 11-09-2004, 05:05 PM
...if I had the money.

I guess just try a brake stand. Oh, there was a thread somewhere else about doing burnouts with an automatic and someone suggested revving it in neutral and putting it into gear...this is BAD, you should NEVER do it like that.

Anyway, with manuals all you basically do is rev it up and drop the clutch. Where you rev it to depends on the car. Assuming the clutch can handle 100% of the engine's power, the tires will break loose because the tires cannot handle the immediate transfer of power. Some FWD racers use the handbrake to keep the car stationary to prevent the tires from hooking up. This heats the tires up before the run and lays down a patch of rubber to help at the start. Probably more info than you needed...
Old 11-09-2004, 05:55 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Old 11-09-2004, 06:05 PM
givin the business

can the auto even handle a powerbrake on slicks...seems like the thing would
blow up by time you got it up to 2k
Old 11-09-2004, 06:45 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by jz-97-c7
can the auto even handle a powerbrake on slicks...seems like the thing would
blow up by time you got it up to 2k

the axles most likely couldn't
Old 11-09-2004, 07:49 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 6 speed would just hop like crazy, even in the water box on drag radials. On stock tires if the ground is wet and I fully lock the e-brake I can dump the clutch at 4k and it'll leave 2 smoky lines. I kind of doubt you'll be able to do a burnout, especially on slicks because the tq converter locks up at 2k rpm, and you dont have enough low end tq to overpower sticky slicks, unless you have a blower or turbo.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I was at a car meet a few weeks ago at a park, and the parking lot had just been repaved. Perfect for burning out, yeah?

So I decided to do it. I turned the VSA off, put it in D1, applied the parking brake all the way, and gave it gas.

I've always said that the stock tires suck, but oh, boy, the front tires gripped and the rear tires started dragging.

When I parked it and got out, my buddies were just about dying laughing. I was pissed.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:47 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I was at a car meet a few weeks ago at a park, and the parking lot had just been repaved. Perfect for burning out, yeah?

So I decided to do it. I turned the VSA off, put it in D1, applied the parking brake all the way, and gave it gas.

I've always said that the stock tires suck, but oh, boy, the front tires gripped and the rear tires started dragging.

When I parked it and got out, my buddies were just about dying laughing. I was pissed.

that must of been embarassing...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CLpower

Share, Share

THANKS ALL
Old 11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jtkz13
My 6 speed would just hop like crazy, even in the water box on drag radials.
Unless you're running slicks, do NOT pass through the water box. Cars w/ street tires and drag radials should go around the water box and do a minimal burnout - long smokey burnouts (although they look cool) w/ either of these will be both a waste of time and rubber, and you will not improve traction. You'll have to play w/ the tire pressure and find the right psi for your car when using street or drag radials.

As far as a burnout w/ an auto trans, just floor the brake and hit the gas....not too much because your stock brakes won't hold you (may need to use the ebrake too).

Manual burnouts are pretty easy too - clutch in, give gas, dump clutch and get on break. Depending how much power you have.....you'll want to either be in 1st or 2nd.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:58 PM
TQ > MPG

Well unless you have a 6 speed you cant really give that advice out. If you try to just dump the clutch on a dry burnout box all you're gonna do is bang your head off the roof due to wheelhop. Trust me, I tried it a couple times, and I wont ever do it again. Even in the water it hopped, but not as violently.

And drag radails are fine to do a burnout in the water box, and I always back into the box with my mustang. With a fwd car you dont really have a choice but to drive through it. The trick is to dip your tires in the water & pull forward, just to the edge of the puddle. That way when you do your burnout you dont fling tons of water into the wheelwell, which drips back onto the tires when you get to the line.

edit: and with both my Nitto's & BFG dr's on my mustang I cant get enough tire speed to really heat up the tires without the aide of the water box. Sure if you have 400hp you dont need the water, but I would argue its much easier on the drivetrain instead of trying to do a burnout on a patch of dry VHT.

another edit: And your advice on getting on the brakes with a manual tranny is for rwd cars ONLY. Try to do that in a CL-S6 and all you're gonna due is stall immediately or spin the clutch. Engaging the e-brake is all you can really do to try not to roll forward.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Racer

Well unless you have a 6 speed you cant really give that advice out. If you try to just dump the clutch on a dry burnout box all you're gonna do is bang your head off the roof due to wheelhop. Trust me, I tried it a couple times, and I wont ever do it again. Even in the water it hopped, but not as violently.

And drag radails are fine to do a burnout in the water box, and I always back into the box with my mustang. With a fwd car you dont really have a choice but to drive through it. The trick is to dip your tires in the water & pull forward, just to the edge of the puddle. That way when you do your burnout you dont fling tons of water into the wheelwell, which drips back onto the tires when you get to the line.

edit: and with both my Nitto's & BFG dr's on my mustang I cant get enough tire speed to really heat up the tires without the aide of the water box. Sure if you have 400hp you dont need the water, but I would argue its much easier on the drivetrain instead of trying to do a burnout on a patch of dry VHT.

another edit: And your advice on getting on the brakes with a manual tranny is for rwd cars ONLY. Try to do that in a CL-S6 and all you're gonna due is stall immediately or spin the clutch. Engaging the e-brake is all you can really do to try not to roll forward.
I've never driven anything other than a rw car @ the track, so I have to admit that I could be wrong w/ the correct fwd procedure.

I guess you could be right about dumping the clutch on a dry burnout w/ fwd cars, but if wheel hop is a real issue why not do some suspension work to prevent the problem?

As far as the DR's I'll have to disagree w/ you. FWD or RWD, no matter how you go into the water box, completely in or dip-in in reverse, you're never gonna get all the water out of the treads or stop the water from dripping down from the wheelwell onto the tire while your staging. I've seen it done both ways by all different cars and the cars w/ DR's that make the mistake of getting wet have poor 60' times.

You don't need 400hp to do a dry burnout either......250 @ the wheels would be more than sufficient to get the wheels moving on dry blacktop.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:53 PM
TQ > MPG

I pulled two 1.85 60's, and I always back into the edge of the water box and do a 2nd gear burnout, and I carry the burnout ~ halfway to the staging beams. If the track officials are smart then they will only put down a layer of water, not a deep puddle. I CAN do a burnout on dry pavement, but it seems much easier on the drivetrain if I start in the water. I dont have a line-loc, so it makes it pretty difficult to start the burnout w/o having to really stomp on the brakes, which is not healthy for the clutch.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Racer

I pulled two 1.85 60's, and I always back into the edge of the water box and do a 2nd gear burnout, and I carry the burnout ~ halfway to the staging beams. If the track officials are smart then they will only put down a layer of water, not a deep puddle. I CAN do a burnout on dry pavement, but it seems much easier on the drivetrain if I start in the water. I dont have a line-loc, so it makes it pretty difficult to start the burnout w/o having to really stomp on the brakes, which is not healthy for the clutch.
1.85 is a great 60' for an acura, but if that was what you pulled in the stang, there's room for improvement.......and I'd say the improvement would be going around the water.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:01 PM
I SMELL NAWZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not sure about the 2nd Gens but for the first gens 3.0 auto,

E Brake up

Foot on Brake and rev up to about 2k "like if you were racing" when ever ready foot off brake and down on the throttle. works everytime for me try not to do it in a really rocky street or road tires will bite and u just drag the rears.

if you brake stand the brakes lock up the front tires and your trying to spin them so i dont know how that would work.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by fiveoh-tl
As far as the DR's I'll have to disagree w/ you. FWD or RWD, no matter how you go into the water box, completely in or dip-in in reverse, you're never gonna get all the water out of the treads or stop the water from dripping down from the wheelwell onto the tire while your staging. I've seen it done both ways by all different cars and the cars w/ DR's that make the mistake of getting wet have poor 60' times.

I have made 150+ passes at the track in my CL-S. I go through the water box almost every time and I achieve the best and most consistant 60' times of anyone on this forum. I've only ever gone around the water box twice and those were some of my worst 60's ever.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:41 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

steve i dont know if your the best im pretty damn good and consistant myself
so i think me and you are a toss up
Old 11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ga2000
steve i dont know if your the best im pretty damn good and consistant myself
so i think me and you are a toss up

Consistant 2.1's with 5 or so 2.0's
Old 11-29-2004, 01:25 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

steve not with stock tires, and you have mods a 2.0 i dont think my car will do lol... not enough mods
Old 12-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Racer

drive through

Originally Posted by av6ent

How to do a burnout @ the track with FWD automatic running on slicks?
BTW how manuals do it? I'm sort of kind of noob at that
the water hole... you'll spin like your driving on ice.... Pull the e-brake if you don't want to move forward...
Old 12-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

That's pretty funny.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

How to do a burnout?

Install S/C with HBP. Press VSA button. Smash the right pedal to the ground.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:41 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Install S/C with HBP. Press VSA button. Smash the right pedal to the ground.
If only we were all so fortunate.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Team Owner

Old 12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro

Thanks all for your input
Steve, good time