How can I tell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I tell?

I just picked up an 01 CLS. I took it in for 60,000 service. I'm not a fan of dealerships but I think I'm gonna trade this in for a 03 manual so I figured I'd have the service done because the car has been dealer serviced to this point. It'll be a good way to get a little more money when I sell it to say it's been all dealer serviced. Took it to Radley Acura by the way. Anyways, of course they came up with a rack of things wrong with the car. Quoted 695 for three tires, 89 for alignment, 230 to change a CV boot, 139 for brake fluid flush, 139 for power steering flush, 150 to decarbonize the throttle body, 170 for rear pads, 152 for a new battery. Thanks but no.

Most of the stuff I kinda do need but I know some people who'll do it cheaper.
So my question is how do you know when you need to flush brake fluid, power steering fluid. Never heard of that before. Also can I decarb the throttle body myself. Would Radle have just used a throttle body spray or is it worth having somebody do it? Thanks much for any info...
Old 09-11-2005, 03:28 PM
The new ride

idk what the dealer does but seafoam makes a spray for cleaning out the throttle body and intake manifold, like $8 a can or something, can't hurt. you can get a die hard batt. somewhere else for like $80-90... heck if the batt.'s not dead dont bother unless its like 4+ years old. brake pads and fluid flush are pretty easy if you have some experience and want to DIY, otherwise i'd say dont worry about the back pads or the fluid unless the fluid is really dark. idk about the power steering fluid
Old 09-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Racer

for the best fuel injection cleaning i use the 3m fuel system cleaning products, i use the 3m 08962 cleaning kit, it includes the tank additive, the throttle body cleaner and then intake cleaner, for the first time you will also need the 3m 08960 intake system adapter kit so you can use the intake cleaner, here is a link http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
Old 09-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Just your carb cleaner to clean the throttle. Easy stuff. And fuel injection cleaner can be bought anywhere.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

I pretty much thought I could go the carb cleaner spray route but wasn't really sure. It's what I used for all my hoopties but didn't know if the CL needed somethin special. The battery, brake fluid and steering fluid sounded like BS too. I do need brakes and tires though. Have to check the cv boot myself to see if it's really ripped...
Thanks folks.