how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002 | 11:51 PM
Banned

how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

i dont mean to start shit or anything but i think some people on this board smoked some serious shit lately...how can anyone in their right mind justify trading in a car thats not even 2 years old for something new?? and not only that...BUT FOR THE SAME DAMN CAR BUT WITH A MANUAL???? be honest here, i mean lets say you buy a 2001 for 30,000 and then trade it in now for 23,000 so now youve lost 7,000 PLUS....not to mention any mods you may have done (e.g. tint, springs, body work, stereo stuff, etc) now you just lost another 1,000 PLUS...so all you really get is the SAME car with cheesy headlights, wheels, and fake aluminum trim but WITH a manual for a loss of no less than $8,000 and thats being MODEST!!! how can anyone justify this??? $8,000 for a friggin 6 speed transmission???? Insane with a capital I.....i just cant even begin to fathom how anyone can find this to be a wise choice...
Old 03-16-2002 | 11:56 PM
Team Owner

It’s like a TOTALLY new car with the 6-Speed.
If you like the Slush-Box you will NEVER understand.

Shawn S
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:02 AM
Banned

Re: how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

Originally posted by jimcol711
i dont mean to start shit or anything but i think some people on this board smoked some serious shit lately...how can anyone in their right mind justify trading in a car thats not even 2 years old for something new?? and not only that...BUT FOR THE SAME DAMN CAR BUT WITH A MANUAL???? be honest here, i mean lets say you buy a 2001 for 30,000 and then trade it in now for 23,000 so now youve lost 7,000 PLUS....not to mention any mods you may have done (e.g. tint, springs, body work, stereo stuff, etc) now you just lost another 1,000 PLUS...so all you really get is the SAME car with cheesy headlights, wheels, and fake aluminum trim but WITH a manual for a loss of no less than $8,000 and thats being MODEST!!! how can anyone justify this??? $8,000 for a friggin 6 speed transmission???? Insane with a capital I.....i just cant even begin to fathom how anyone can find this to be a wise choice...
Do you have a point? Whatever floats your boat....
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:04 AM
Banned

the point is simple...this type of transaction is simply not logical or financially prudent...unless you are a person that wipes his ass with $100 bills or something...i would just like to understand how anyone could justify losing 8-10 thousand dollars just for a tranny in the same car
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:05 AM
Banned

Explaining why we like manuals like like explaining why AOL sucks. You either understand, or you don't. And if you don't, no amount of talk will make you understand.
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:08 AM
Team Owner

...unless you are a person that wipes his ass with $100 bills or something...
I’m not quite THAT rich, I only use 50’s.

Shawn S
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:09 AM
Racer

consider the 8k loss as you were leasing the car for 2 years @ 400/mo. Now why don't you go rag on the ppl that are leasing. :P
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:09 AM
Instructor

They DIDN't trade for the 'same' car at all!

Drive an 03 and you'll know. The G2 CL should have had the manual option from day ONE as it was intended as a sporty car. I guess you'd approve of me, I've waited for the stick and didn't buy a CL auto, seemed like a waste of the tech engine, IMO.

I drove an auto 02 CLS last week, and a 6-peed 03 CLS today. I'd trade in the slushbox for the stick or just be frustrated as hell.

If you knew how many of my fellow Legend owners have considered switching out their auto for a manual you'd know why, except finding a treasured G2 Legend with a 6 speed is near impossible. The 6-speed 03 CLs are on the lot.

Why trade for the same car you ask? Exactly that! It's NOT the same car at all!
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:11 AM
Banned

its one thing to like manual transmissions, hell, i prefer them myself, im not going to deny for one second its a better transmission or more fun to drive...theres just no way anyone can honestly say its worth 8-10 thousand dollars in the toilet for a transmission...
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mdaniel
Explaining why we like manuals like like explaining why AOL sucks. You either understand, or you don't. And if you don't, no amount of talk will make you understand.

Exactly...

To know why someone might go the other way (with an auto) -- force yourself to commute 50-miles in two hours (on a good day) in stop-and-go freeway traffic for two years.

Then to understand the people who wanted a manual in the first place (and are willing to get what they want), get in a manual for a year or two up in some nice twisting hills, with plenty of changes in elevation; finish off at a driving school (to learn all of the neat tricks you can do with the manual tranny on a “serious” road coarse.

Until the auto maker's come out with a true sequential manual (a real 6- or 7-speed manual box with "auto clutch", it is going to be a "two camp" mentality...

Question:

People do pay $$$ for new electronics and gadgets that can be purchased at 1/10th the price in a few years... Do you think they regret it? What price for happiness?
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:20 AM
Banned

Hey mdaniel I just saw the sig update...you going for it?
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bioyuki
Hey mdaniel I just saw the sig update...you going for it?
After my test drives today I have no choice.

I think I'll wait a couple of months for the rollout raping to die down.
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

its one thing to like manual transmissions, hell, i prefer them myself, im not going to deny for one second its a better transmission or more fun to drive...theres just no way anyone can honestly say its worth 8-10 thousand dollars in the toilet for a transmission...

Hmmm... Ride in Concorde? Ride in first class? What price for contentment?
Darth Chocolate

Well, if I were to trade mine in, I'd only lose about 5k, so your 8-10k thing is a little off... Most of us didn't pay sticker for the '01.

Not that I'm gonna trade in right now. But I might after the IPO is over and the prices are back to normal.

PS: Shawn

Banned

Anyone have ideas what the cost/feasibility/availability of swapping the tranny is?
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

I can agree with the manual as I would have bought one if it was avail. BUT I totally agree with what jimcol711 has said. It's a huge waste of money. The CLS still isn't a sports car with the manual. It still *near* luxery, even farther off with the plastic aluminum interior now... and now you have taken the bad resale hit twice... Doen't make any sense to me either... financially...

Why not get the 350z? Near 50/50 balance, more HP, arguably better looks, manual tranny... ? (im skeptcial of 1st year cars myself now...) but im confused... the CLS to me isn't a head turner of a car... why waste all of that $ for a manual?

Guess I don't have the passion for this car as some of the other board members do... This car doesnt inspire much sport to me. Speed yes, sport no... It's just to heavy in the front and FWD. Plows along in corners... Especially after I have been test driving a M bmw and my buddys C5 vette.

But to each his own... Enjoy the 6MT!

I paid about 34 for my 2001, and I was offered 21k for it last week as a trade in...

The resale on the CLS sucks bad! And your going to pay more for the 03 6MT if you did get a deal on the 01 because you bought it late. I wouldn't want to take the hit twice... Even if you bought it at 29 you still took a hit!
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Pull_T
Anyone have ideas what the cost/feasibility/availability of swapping the tranny is?

To Jens, acura_service, etc? (A direct post to them will probably return results when they get “into” them)

1. Cost of manual box/transaxle.

2. New PCM.

3. Possible harness change ???

4. Disable VSA

5. Internal facia

6. If in Cal, possible CARB complications (if every certified engine/drivetrain part is not 2003 smog equivalent)

I'm guessing, but if and when the "got to have it know" rush to the showroom slows down, it might be cheaper to just get the new 2003...
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:37 AM
Racer

I'm guessing, but if and when the "got to have it know" rush to the showroom slows down, it might be cheaper to just get the new 2003...
It probably is cheaper already, not to mention the reliability of things its best to get the '03.
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:39 AM
Team Owner

Don’t forget to add the cost of the interior modifications and loss of the entire Powertrain Warranty to your list.

Shawn S
Old 03-17-2002 | 01:20 AM
Powered By HONDA

they just want a 6 speed manual car...but for me..i prefer 5 speed auto..ss tranny..that is why i bought it ....
Old 03-17-2002 | 02:18 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Variety is the SPICE of life!!!!!!:P
Old 03-17-2002 | 02:30 AM
Race Director

Re: Re: how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

Originally posted by SiGGy

I can agree with the manual as I would have bought one if it was avail. BUT I totally agree with what jimcol711 has said. It's a huge waste of money. The CLS still isn't a sports car with the manual. It still *near* luxery, even farther off with the plastic aluminum interior now... and now you have taken the bad resale hit twice... Doen't make any sense to me either... financially...

Why not get the 350z? Near 50/50 balance, more HP, arguably better looks, manual tranny... ? (im skeptcial of 1st year cars myself now...) but im confused... the CLS to me isn't a head turner of a car... why waste all of that $ for a manual?

Guess I don't have the passion for this car as some of the other board members do... This car doesnt inspire much sport to me. Speed yes, sport no... It's just to heavy in the front and FWD. Plows along in corners... Especially after I have been test driving a M bmw and my buddys C5 vette.

But to each his own... Enjoy the 6MT!

I paid about 34 for my 2001, and I was offered 21k for it last week as a trade in...

The resale on the CLS sucks bad! And your going to pay more for the 03 6MT if you did get a deal on the 01 because you bought it late. I wouldn't want to take the hit twice... Even if you bought it at 29 you still took a hit!
I thought this board was for Acura CL enthusiasts...hence..acura-cl.com...not sure why you're here if you don't like your car.
Old 03-17-2002 | 02:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Re: how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

Originally posted by zeroday

I thought this board was for Acura CL enthusiasts...hence..acura-cl.com...not sure why you're here if you don't like your car.
ya, good point...

But I was lurking on here when it was still 260hp.com. I liked the car before it fell apart on me... What can I do now?

I like the car still, just not mine personally... And I guess I'm not biased to the Acura brand.... I like a bunch of different makes... So I don't put it on a high horse all by itself...

Plus the conversation on here isn't 100% CLS
Old 03-17-2002 | 02:45 AM
Race Director

i dont mean to start shit or anything but i think some people on this board smoked some serious shit lately...
You didn't mean to start something... now I don't mean to start anything... but you're obviously not a true car enthusiast, otherwise you would understand. It's just not all about the money dude.
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:24 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

well....you know what. I had a hell of a time trying to get my White Pearl/Ebony TL-S....everytime I almost had it..it slips away. My chance of getting it was so slim. and after two months ....i just settled for a parchment interior. BUT! 3 weeks after that....all the dealers got a butt load of TL's...and I saw TWO White/Ebony sitting in front of my face! BOY WAS I PISSED! i was SERIOUSLY considering trading in my 4 week old...not even past 700 miles TL-S for the exact same car...just for the different interior. But I know I'll still take a major hit....even tho my car is "still new" But in this case....The manual just takes the cake.
Old 03-17-2002 | 08:51 AM
Got BOOST????

To each is own

unfortuneatly,(can't spell, but anyway) i'm going to stick to my automatic. Reason being, I don't think the aftermarket companys that make turbos and stuff are going to make more performance parts for the car. Unlike the honda civic and honda accord. (damb, those cars are fregging everywhere and are a dime a dozen. Just like the mustang in the 90's) The Acura CL is a sports/luxery car, just not a sports car. It's going to cost big $$$$ to put a turbo or a supercharger in it. Don't get me wrong, i'm a big car person and love the CLS, but you have to relize the fact that's it's no mustang or corvette or even a supra TT. If your looking for speed, the new mustang SVT Cobra with 390 horses(supercharged) for about 39 g's and you'll have a 12 second car. About the price for trading in ur 2001 or 2002 for a manual 2003. It'll cost u way over that to do the same to a CLS. I know a lot of people are going to be mad about this, i had to put my 2 cents in. It takes me a long time to save up $10,000. But, some people have money trees in there back yard. I gonna stick with my original plan of the H22 engine swap in a honda civic and keep my 2001 Type S automatic. Good luck to the guys that are going to trade in there cars and good luck to the guys that are going to keep there automatics.(Damb, This is longer that the essays i wrote in High school.LoL.) Don't hate the player, Hate the game
Old 03-17-2002 | 09:31 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Let me take a stab at this...

On resale value - Our cars hold their value better than most on the roads. You wanna get raped on resale value??? Go get a GM or Ford. With the exception of a few models, any car you go out and buy gets hammered in the resale department in the first few years. Think about it. Once the car is titled, you instantly lose 3-4K on our car. So we're now down to 28-27K (non-nav). Add a few miles and a couple years and you're down even lower. How can you be surprised??? And besides... most of the people who got quotes on their cars, got them from a dealer, whom we all know doesn't give a flying flip about you. Try to sell your car privately. I'm sure '01s will go for 22-24K privately, easily; you just have to find a buyer. Didn't Shawn have a potential buyer for his '01 at 25K??? You want a car that will be worth something in a few years, go buy a collectable. Face it. A car is just another money pit.

And in response to people trading up their '01s for an '03. Who the hell cares??? More power to them.

I'd consider most of us in here having one major thing in common, and that is a passion for cars. Some with different tastes, but it still all comes back to the fact that we all love cars. If a member wants a 6-spd, let him get it. No one certainly has the right to tell him that he's out of his mind for getting rid of a car that is only two years old. I've driven an automatic 'Vette and I've driven a manual. And before you say, "There's no comparison between a Vette and a CL-S", let me finish. There is similarity and it's called a manual gearbox. There is NOTHING like driving a car with three pedals and a stick in your right hand. It's a no brainer when I see all these people going out and trading up. The CL-S is a kick ass car, and a manual tranny made it that much better.

And about the comment about getting a 350Z instead. I've never sat in one, nor driven one, but it's a Nissan and EVERY Nissan I've ever sat in or driven was crap. Build quality, overall comfort, etc. Maybe the 350Z will turn some more heads, but people who understand cars better than others recognize the CL as a car that is a wonderful blend of luxury and performance. I really don't care if a Maxima or a 350Z can beat my car. If I wanted a FAST car, I'd go buy an M3 or a Z06. It's quality and the Acura/Honda name that got me to buy one. The performance is just icing on the cake.

So take the Acura/Honda name and a CL-S and drop a 6-spd in it. DUH!!! If I wasn't taking a nice vacation in June, I'd go out and trade my '02 up for an '03. And oh no... That's just one year!!!
Old 03-17-2002 | 11:28 AM
Intermediate

how can anyone justify this??? $8,000 for a friggin 6 speed transmission???? Insane with a capital I.....i just cant even begin to fathom how anyone can find this to be a wise choice...
For some of us it would be more like $10,000 to $15,000 to trade up to '03 6MT NAV - believe me, I've looked into it...:shakehd:

My solution: use that sum for downpayment on S2k (heck, I'm halfway there)
Old 03-17-2002 | 01:00 PM
Red X

Originally posted by Pull_T
$50 shipped. let me know.
Old 03-17-2002 | 02:11 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by gmilian

$50 shipped. let me know.
What does that mean? I see it a lot but I must have missed something. Was it something that Amir said? :P
Old 03-17-2002 | 02:20 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

Originally posted by zeroday

Stop hating...if people don't like their car then thats their problem. Plenty of current owners get opinions on possible future cars here...
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kensteele

What does that mean? I see it a lot but I must have missed something. Was it something that Amir said? :P

A very special late night auto deal, perhaps...
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:14 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: Re: how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????

Originally posted by bioyuki

Stop hating...if people don't like their car then thats their problem. Plenty of current owners get opinions on possible future cars here...
Hating? No, that takes way too much effort. I was just curious about why he frequents the board. He responded and now I understand..No hate here man.

...the guy that started this thread did annoy me a little though cus he basically insulted alot of people who spent their hard earned money on their car... and really targeted ShawnS. I really don't hate him though; not by a long shot. This isn't exactly serious subject matter around here...I reserve my hate for terrorists who's sole purpose in life is to kill Americans.
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:28 PM
Banned

look guys, i didnt mean to make any enemies over here or anything i mean its just simple math...-10,000 dollars for a 6 speed transmission in the same car is insane and no one can have a logical argument to deny that. sure, personal preferrance or whatever but ask the same person if they would take 10,000 and burn it in the fireplace, and they'ed undoubtedly say no, and essentially, thats what people are doing, and dealers are laughing all the way to the bank..if you want to drop all that money for nothing more than a tranny, go right ahead, i was merely just looking for someone to shed some light on how this could possibly be a prudent thing to do. i got my CL-S a few weeks ago on a discount because its a 2002 and i love it, im on this board about 2-3 hours a day and i am very enthusiastic about the car...i also happen to like the fact that a 6 speed is now available, however i think the new front end and interior are a step down from the luxury look of the 2001-2002...and i just wanted to know if anyone could make some sense to how this is a wise choice in the logical sense...dont think im hating anyone because im not, i just wondered how a person could justify this transaction...i dont want to single anyone out here because its not about any one particular person, but the picture and post that really made me start this thread was the picture from Shawn S that had his 2001 CL-S next to his new 2003 at the dealer...its the same freakin car with a new tranny!! i mean, his red car had a few grand in mods, nice tint, nice wheels, very well taken care of, etc...no one can deny that his 2001 looked alot better than a bone stock 2003...it was and still is one of the nicest CL-S around and to trade it in for a bone stock new car of the same model at a loss of thousands upon thousands of dollars just doesnt make sense to me...shawn, im sure you are going to read this so listen, im not trying to flame you or anything, i was just using your situation as an example, if you like your new car, and in your mind, if you can justify the financial loss, then thats great and by all means, ignore me and my opinion, im not putting you down just trying to see things from the opposite point of view.
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wouldn't you pay say, $10/day for two years to double the enjoyment when you drive your car?

Well, maybe you wouldn't, but maybe you would. $8K is a good hunk of change, but when it's something you use EVERY day, why not?
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:33 PM
Banned

just think guys...lets say you have a 2001 or 2002 with a few simple mods like the intake and the headers and springs/sways...maybe some rims and new tires...now lets say you have $10,000 in cash to spend on mods or asthetic improvements on your existing car. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO TO A 2001 OR 2002 WITH 10 GRAND?!?!? anyone with the right know-how and connections could easily make a CL-S that already has intake/headers/springs/sways into a 12-13 second car with $10,000....can anyone honestly say they would rather have a bone stock 14.9 second 6 speed 2003 than a COMPLETELY modified 2002 auto that runs in the high 12's low 13's with some type of body kit, rims of your choice, tint, stereo, etc, etc???
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:34 PM
Banned

Buying the 6 speed is not the same as throwing money in the fireplace. If you burn the money, you get NOTHING in return. If you sell an 01/02 and get a 6 speed, you get a new car with a manual transmission.

Have you ever gone to the movies or a concert? Why? 2 hours later you have nothing to show for your money. Unless you count the EXPERIENCE. For those of us who really like manual transmissions, we are paying to increase our happiness and enjoyment. Its economics 101.

As for prudence, why don't you just ride the bus or a moped? Economically, that's a lot more prudent.
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:46 PM
Team Owner

the picture and post that really made me start this thread was the picture from Shawn S that had his 2001 CL-S next to his new 2003 at the dealer...its the same freakin car with a new tranny!! i mean, his red car had a few grand in mods, nice tint, nice wheels, very well taken care of, etc...no one can deny that his 2001 looked alot better than a bone stock 2003...it was and still is one of the nicest CL-S around and to trade it in for a bone stock new car of the same model at a loss of thousands upon thousands of dollars just doesnt make sense to me...
Thanks for the complements, but the only Mods I left on the car were the window tint, Homelink LED’s and acura-cl.com stickers.
I think the total of those items cost me under 200 bucks.
It had stock wheels with tires that needed replacement, and ZERO suspension work.

I removed the following items from the car:
V1
V1 Remote
Sub-AMP
SubWoofer Box
Circuit Breaker on the battery (Sub AMP)
Line level adapter
PIAA road Lamps
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Cell Phone kit

All these items will be going on the new car over the next week or two.

One thing you fail to comprehend is just how much I FUCKING HATED that Slush-Box.

Shawn S
Old 03-17-2002 | 04:03 PM
Racer

jimcol711, like I stated before; how is this not unlike leasing the car for the past 2 years?
Old 03-17-2002 | 04:09 PM
Old timer

I think it's clear this issue revolves around personal preference and funds available.

To me it's not worth it to trade up for an '03 M6 for several reasons:

*My car is a daily driver. In nine months of driving I've put 23k miles on it.

*It's a FWD car and
*The weight distr. sucks

Even with a manual you're still not driving a car primarily meant for performance. Performance cars start with RWD and good weight distribution.

The only reason I see getting it would be for peace of mind because you wouldn't have to worry about the tranny problem any longer. That's not worth $8k+ to me.

Quick Reply: how can anyone in their right mind trade a 2001 car for a 2003 of the SAME car?????