Houston floods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 04:05 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston floods...

Anyone get stuck in the floods? I guess W.I.C. is canceled...

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-09-2001, 04:15 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
Anyone get stuck in the floods? I guess W.I.C. is canceled...

</font>
Not me, been on high ground so far.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Painted Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Pedals
Customed self-installed sound system with 5-channel Kenwood Amp and 10in. Pioneer sub. in Customized box.
(modified) CAI.
Meshed grill.
My Pride
Old 06-09-2001, 05:04 AM
3rd Gear

My cousin lives in conroe and his house is all flooded out and his legend is flooded up to the waist
Old 06-09-2001, 11:51 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sugarland hater:
My cousin lives in conroe and his house is all flooded out and his legend is flooded up to the waist</font>
Welcome to the board.

Hate sugarland? why so? I thought it's nice.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Painted Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Pedals
Customed self-installed sound system with 5-channel Kenwood Amp and 10in. Pioneer sub. in Customized box.
(modified) CAI.
Meshed grill.
My Pride
Old 06-09-2001, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Webtoker,

High and dry so far in NW Houston... Noticed quite a few stranded cars this morning down around Huffmeister. Must have been quite a bit of street flooding over night.

Cypress Creek is badly flooded. Drainage ditches are at a high water mark around 290. Very little street flooding though.

Your Cypress, TX weather summary today brought you by...

QuickSilver
'01 Acura CL-S (No Mods)

Old 06-09-2001, 01:53 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah man it sux! I wish it would have happened during the week so I could have missed work.

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 06-09-2001, 02:45 PM
Pro

It rained very hard here. Depressing how flooded the area is. Went to dinner at a friends house in River Oaks and my dads 2001 M5 and his friends 2000 M5 both flooded within 1 1/2 hrs parked next to eachother. There were a few inches in the car. Everything is soaked, leather seems ruined along with carpeting, electrical. Very depressing. A suburban stalled out trying to get us to another house, and we had to walk about half a mile through sometimes waist deep water. Spent the night in loadned clothes a house off of San Felipe. It was a very depressing night/morning.
Old 06-09-2001, 03:00 PM
watch the weather change

Location: Houston, TX - Uhhh, now what y'all know bout them Texas boys, Comin down in candied toys, smokin wee
well so far my house is ok, i know a couple of friends that their house got flooded... man i feel sorry for all the people that did get flooded, worst part is that it isn't over yet

------------------
2001 CL Type S w/ navi and factory spoiler
cltypes.com - soon...
Old 06-09-2001, 03:11 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

i just made it home after being stranded in a few places. man, it was so surreal driving around town at 5am trying to find a road to get home-houston became venice-i need to get me a boat!

kudos to xephyr and his CAI with the AEM bypass valve. i had to fulfill some 'search & rescue' duties with some friends of mine and drove thru some pretty deep water--no problems whatsoever!!

i am thankful tp xephyr for going the extra mile and including the bypass (and thanks to calvin for selling it to me!!).

hope all you guys and your cars are safe!

------------------
you are not your fukking signature.
Old 06-09-2001, 04:14 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

I got lucky too. I came back home from Austin around 10:30 pm and 30 minutes later, the street were flooded. An hour later, water was up bass the sidewalk.

------------------
2001 CL-S Satin Silver/Ebnoy
  • Spoiler/moonroof visor/20% Tint
  • PIAA 19173/19170
  • Mobil 1 Oil/Oil Filter
  • X-Pel/Upgrade Cup Holder
  • Clifford G4 Solaris Remote Start Car Alarm
  • AEM CAI/Denso Iridium Spark

On its way: Comptech Sway Bar/WS Apexi Coilover/AEM Pulley
Old 06-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Racer

Well guys, hope yall are fine, especially whoever near 45south, and NE part of town.... Whoever is fine right now, I would try my best to move my car somewhere else in the high ground tonight, cuz heard the eye of the storm is going back to the Gulf of Mexico, and with the storm this powerful, it will just go right back into a Hurrican and hit us again... Good that I live in the newer area of Suagrland (1st Colony), we are all dry and safe here.... Hope yall the best for now, and hang on guys....

------------------
Edward
99TL, 01 CLP with stuff.
Houston(Sugarland),TX
Old 06-09-2001, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry to hear the bad news guys, hope no one's engine got hydro locked.

Toker your car okay?

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Who's Your Daddy

I live on the 2nd floor of my apt. complex so I was dry last night but the street and parking lot in my complex got to my bumper lights but about 1 a.m. in the morning I went out to the car before the water got real bad and believe it or not drove my car onto 4 wheel ramps I had... My car was sitting about 6 inches higher than if it was sitting on the ground....the water still touched the bottom of my tires on the ramp...so i'm sure if I didnt do it there might have been carpet damage...

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 06-09-2001, 10:53 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QuickSilver:
Webtoker,

High and dry so far in NW Houston... Noticed quite a few stranded cars this morning down around Huffmeister. Must have been quite a bit of street flooding over night.

Cypress Creek is badly flooded. Drainage ditches are at a high water mark around 290. Very little street flooding though.

Your Cypress, TX weather summary today brought you by...

QuickSilver
'01 Acura CL-S (No Mods)

</font>
Hey man, my mom lives out there off of Huffmiester and Kluge. I have been trying to call her but the phones are all tied up.

Thanks for the update!!!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 06-09-2001, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Mike,

Didn't drive past the intersection of Huffmeister and Cypress North Houston coming from 290. Kluge is about two or three intersections further down. Heard from a grocery store clerk that creek flooding had made parts of Huffmeister impassable.

Having driven these back roads in similar conditions in the past, I can tell you that Little Cypress Creek always floods with this much rain. The problem may have actually been worsened to some extent by road construction on Huffmeister. If I had to take a wild guess, I would bet that the portions of Huffmeister and Kluge near the bridges over each creek are flooded. The last time this happened, the entrance to the subdivision at the intersection of Kluge and Huffmeister also flooded.

On the plus side, the aftermath of the last flood resulted in the county installing wider drainage pipes. Past experience may not be a perfect guide as a result of these improvements. There is also plenty of high ground only a block or two away.

Hope your Mom came through everything ok....

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)

Old 06-10-2001, 01:34 AM
3rd Gear

How much would the Aem bypass valve elped if you pused it through the water? Just wonderin
Old 06-10-2001, 01:38 AM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QuickSilver:
Mike,

Didn't drive past the intersection of Huffmeister and Cypress North Houston coming from 290. Kluge is about two or three intersections further down. Heard from a grocery store clerk that creek flooding had made parts of Huffmeister impassable.

Having driven these back roads in similar conditions in the past, I can tell you that Little Cypress Creek always floods with this much rain. The problem may have actually been worsened to some extent by road construction on Huffmeister. If I had to take a wild guess, I would bet that the portions of Huffmeister and Kluge near the bridges over each creek are flooded. The last time this happened, the entrance to the subdivision at the intersection of Kluge and Huffmeister also flooded.

On the plus side, the aftermath of the last flood resulted in the county installing wider drainage pipes. Past experience may not be a perfect guide as a result of these improvements. There is also plenty of high ground only a block or two away.

Hope your Mom came through everything ok....

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)

</font>

Thanks again!

My parents have live on Kluge since 1976, and I grew up there. That damn creek used to overflow all the time.... and still does. I can't believe they built houses down there by it.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 06-10-2001, 02:10 PM
ACME sucks!

Finally got throught to my mom last night. Fortunately, her property has remained dry, but she said the creek was way out of its banks. She also said it's been a real pain for my stepdad and brother to get to work. They both work for the Sheriff's Dept.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 06-10-2001, 02:11 PM
Instructor

i was thinking of moving there and picked the worst possible weekend to visit.. though i kinda lucked out cause my hotel was near the galleria mall area so i was ok..

the place seemed nice.. the only thing that really sucked was i had to drive an Alero there and the bastards at ABC pre-empted the Stanley cup finals game 7, and instead continued the 'flood of a lifetime' coverage like every other channel..

so what other areas weren't affected? don't wanna move into a ex-flooded out apartment.. hehe

Old 06-10-2001, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

I moved from indiana 2 weeks ago and all this rain really is starting to make me homesick! I live in the medical center and unlike most of you guys I have gotten lucky. The rain only got a couple inches up on my tires. Since it looks like most of this is over if you guys need anything yell.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Still waiting to get stuff done!!!!!
Old 06-10-2001, 04:17 PM
Advanced

nt5k, Eddy1234,

Suggest you obtain a copy of a flood map for any area you are considering. These maps are usually available from your insurance company, although there are also copies available at the Houston Public Library.

Generally speaking, if you're looking at a residence in Houston near a bayou, a creek, a natural lake, etc. you are at a much greater risk for flooding than everyone else.

There are also articles available in the periodicals section of the public library which may be of assistance. If you see a neighborhood "flood control" association in the area you're considering, chances are you're looking at an area that has flooded in the past.

Of course, the easiest way to tell is to drive by immediately after a flood like this and look for tell tale signs of damage. The most common indicator is the presence of dirt or mold on the outside walls of dwellings at or near the water line from the most recent flooding.

Don't be afraid to ask your prospective apt manager or realtor for flood data or maps.

I lived in apartments near Hwy 6 and US 290 for a couple of years with no flooding problems. The only downside to apartments in this part of town is that your commute into Downtown Houston is subject to quite a bit of traffic.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No mods.)

[This message has been edited by QuickSilver (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old 06-10-2001, 04:33 PM
Instructor

I stayed pretty dry, couldn't find a side street to get to san felipe if my life depended on it though! on top of that, the whole fucking SRINT pcs network is down!! anyone else with a sprint phone not working? i went to those bridges above Lake 59 and it was amazing! Maybe we should just keep it like that and have a riverwalk like San Antonio! well shit.

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One
Old 06-10-2001, 04:36 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nt5k:
...so what other areas weren't affected? don't wanna move into a ex-flooded out apartment.. hehe

</font>
get an apt on the second floor and make sure the units have a parking garage

stay inside the loop (610)--the highways to the 'burbs seem freakin scarey!!!!

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 04:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">originally posted by davemathewsguy ...on top of that, the whole fucking SRINT pcs network is down!! anyone else with a sprint phone not working?
</font>
yeah daveyboy, my sprint phone is offline too. get this--i fucking got a new phone and signed another year contract with sprint on FRIDAY afternoon!! damn, if i would have known...my friends with verizon and worldcom are all up and running (and letting me borrow their phones ) WTF!?

------------------

[This message has been edited by silverESS (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old 06-10-2001, 04:43 PM

**WARNING**

gonna be moved to 'ramblings' alert!

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 05:40 PM
Who's Your Daddy

My POS Sprint PCS phone is still down....I think my Sprint phone should have a Ford badge on it...

------------------
Acura loyalty
AEM CAI
Clear Headlights
Old 06-10-2001, 05:53 PM
Instructor

hey, if you have a dual band phone, you can go to the phone options and pick automatic instead of SPRINT PCS only mode and your phone will work in analog mode, but it will suck your battery.

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One
Old 06-10-2001, 06:05 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Been there, done it and MOVED FAR from TEXAS !

Best to you folks !

------------------
"We're spoiled rotten"
Waiting for 6 speed manual CLS !
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, Comptech Sway Bars,Kyocera Smartphone/Palm powered otherwise pure stock/PIF (Paid In Full)
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock/PIF (Paid In Full)!
Old 06-10-2001, 06:09 PM
Who's Your Daddy

mine asks for a credit card # when I try to analog roam...WTF???? forget that

------------------
Acura loyalty
AEM CAI
Clear Headlights
Old 06-10-2001, 06:17 PM
6 speed...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
Been there, done it and MOVED FAR from TEXAS !

Best to you folks !

</font>
like california isn't subject to natural disasters...

of course, we texans haven't had any rolling blackouts in a while...

Old 06-10-2001, 06:22 PM
Racer

So, speaking of the floods.... I wonder is the World Import Challenge still going on or what? I wonder how people can get to Baytown without going through water or mud!

------------------
Edward
99TL, 01 CLP with stuff.
Houston(Sugarland),TX
Old 06-10-2001, 06:25 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
yeah daveyboy, my sprint phone is offline too. get this--i fucking got a new phone and signed another year contract with sprint on FRIDAY afternoon!! damn, if i would have known...my friends with verizon and worldcom are all up and running (and letting me borrow their phones ) WTF!?

</font>
I also have sprint and it really pisses me off that those fuckers don't update there website with info about what the fuck is going on in Houston. Being down for 3 days in not acceptable. If they didn't have such a large network I would drop there ass.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-10-2001, 06:26 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do molbile/exxons in houston and MOST are out of commissioon and flooded!
Old 06-11-2001, 03:19 AM

hey guys-if you got near any water in your cars, i would recommend checking your oil dipstick as a quick precaution. make sure that the oil looks as it should and not like chocolate milk.
my buddy's beetle got water in the oil pan and he was told NOT to drive it. they are towing it in and changing all the filters, fluids and brake lines. if you have a stock paper filter, i would replace it. if you have a K&N type filer--time to do a 're-oil' job.
his wife has an old civic that took water in the car--neither her car nor mine had any water in the oil--guess honda makes 'em right!! (actually, i'm feeling pretty lucky)

------------------