Homoglation

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 04:02 PM
A-CL Omicial Fember

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homoglation

hey, can anybody please explain to me what the word homoglation means? No, it has nothing to with being gay. I think it has to do with haveing a stock or street legal car, not sure. Please explain!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

I'm not 100% sure but in racing they have to make and sell a certain amount of vehicles before that particular model is eligible for racing. Otherwise, people would just be building one-offs and racing them. In motorcycle racing they have to make at least 50 bikes to be considered a real motorcycle. Thats why there are so many limited editions, like ducati 998sp, sps, the old 996. if they make 50 they can race it.
anybody have a better explanation?
Old 11-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Originally posted by bullaculla
I'm not 100% sure but in racing they have to make and sell a certain amount of vehicles before that particular model is eligible for racing. Otherwise, people would just be building one-offs and racing them. In motorcycle racing they have to make at least 50 bikes to be considered a real motorcycle. Thats why there are so many limited editions, like ducati 998sp, sps, the old 996. if they make 50 they can race it.
anybody have a better explanation?
That's exactly right. The word actually is "homologate" which means to sanction officially. Ergo, different sanctioning organizations have various limits to be homologated.

It's been used in some car names. The Ferrari GTO was "omologato". Pontiac copied the moniker.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Instructor

homologation

2. transitive verb automobiles officially recognize car model or component: to give official recognition to a prototype car or car component, thus allowing it to be used in a race

bullaculla
your explanation is good
Old 11-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Grammar Police

Well according to all the dictionaries I checked, there's no such word.....

I think you mean this group of words:

Homologate: To sanction and approve officialy, to certify.

Homologation is the noun form of that, which means "approval" or "certification".

With respect to cars, it would mean the government approval or sanctioning of certain modifications, and whether your car in its current state is "legal" or not.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:17 PM
A-CL Omicial Fember

great that really helps guys, thanks alot. I've heard that the Mclaren F1 Gt (the sweetest car in the world) was only a homologation car for the GTR race version they won so many races with. Do you guys think it's true? There were only 3 made, and nobody really talks about them. I'm guessing they are faster that the normal Mclaren F1 road cars, the airodynamics are better, with less drag.