Homelink Programing. Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Homelink Programing. Can I do this?

Can I program the homelink in the car to open a gate that uses an access card? My complex has a gate & I need to swipe my card at the sensor everytime I go in, or out. Maybe do the programing right when I use the card?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
most apt. complexes have some kind of system so you can't do that. even the ones where you can get a pager remote usually won't let you copy the signal with homelink. I've tried a bunch of times with no success.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:40 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Homelink Programing. Can I do this?

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
Can I program the homelink in the car to open a gate that uses an access card? My complex has a gate & I need to swipe my card at the sensor everytime I go in, or out. Maybe do the programing right when I use the card?

Thanks
Technically speaking, you're talking apple and oranges. Homelink uses a coded RF signal to talk to the garage door opener. But the card key is probably a passive smart card (build-in IC chip) that needs to be powered by the card reader via an RF signal and/or magnetic field. The key card could just be the old magnetic strip type. Completely different technologies.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Re: Homelink Programing. Can I do this?

Originally posted by cls6sp03
Technically speaking, you're talking apple and oranges. Homelink uses a coded RF signal to talk to the garage door opener. But the card key is probably a passive smart card (build-in IC chip) that needs to be powered by the card reader via an RF signal and/or magnetic field. The key card could just be the old magnetic strip type. Completely different technologies.
yeah but the way my old apt. complex worked was you slide your card through a card reader, and then that card reader sends a signal (RF I guess) to open the gate. so you obviously can't copy the card reader part, but it might be possible to copy the signal that the card reader sends out to open the gate. If the card reader is hard wired, then your screwed, but if it just transmits a signal then you could possibly copy it.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:26 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Homelink Programing. Can I do this?

Originally posted by Beetroot
yeah but the way my old apt. complex worked was you slide your card through a card reader, and then that card reader sends a signal (RF I guess) to open the gate. so you obviously can't copy the card reader part, but it might be possible to copy the signal that the card reader sends out to open the gate. If the card reader is hard wired, then your screwed, but if it just transmits a signal then you could possibly copy it.
I thought the old card readers were hardwired to the gates. But I see what you mean.