Homelink Lights (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 02:26 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink Lights (revisited)

Well I finally did it! Using Shawn's great instructions, I managed to get my LEDs installed. It took three grueling hours and I only got half the job done.

I did everything like Shawn except I did not install the one LED over the driver's side button that has the strip right under where the hole is suppose to be drilled. I would have liked too do this, but I chickened out. One careless move and I could ruin my assembly. So I passed on that for now, maybe next weekend. So I'm using a power drill and the hardest part was drilling the holes and threading the wires.

I also used 12v red LEDs and I connected to the fuse box. Didn't know which wire was which when looking up into the wire assembly (don't have a helm manual). So my LED comes on when I turn on the car and stay on always until I turn off the car. I want to see what it looks like during the day; looks fine at night, not too bright. Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it this way or not.

Otherwise the process was really straight forward, Shawn's pictures were more helpful than anything (don't really need written instructions) and if you know the basic wiring, soldering, and electrical taping; no problem.

Shawn, how exactly do I drill that other hole without destroying the strip underneath? What kind of manual hand drill do you use? Where do I get one?

The assembly is easy enough to revisit so I can redo this in about an hour or two next weekend perhaps. Also which wires in the assembly are the correct ones for connecting to the headlight-only switch (in case I want to change this)?

Thanks again for the instructions and pictures. The LED does look very nice and is useful in finding the buttons. The hole I drilled is like yours, nice and just big enough to insert a bulb snuggly.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-07-2001, 02:34 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
pics? and what exactly does this do now? just put a light in the homelink buttons?
Old 05-07-2001, 03:00 AM
Race Director

My digital camera is at the office, sorry. The red LED light is not actually in the rubber button, but slightly in front of it; next to the red light arrow that's in the center (that lights up when you press one of the buttons). It's really for show more than anything else.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-07-2001, 08:36 AM
Fastdriver

If you go to http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm you can buy the X-10 stuff to make use of the other two buttons to turn on the lights in your house before you get in. I've had the X-10 modules, timers and controls for years. Pretty cool with NO wires!

------------------
fastdriver
2001 San Marino Red w/parchment interior. [*]No nav.[*]No spoiler.[*]Lojack[*]Four coats of Zaino Z2/Z6 and two of Z5/Z6 so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01
fastdriver's CL without Zaino!
fastdriver's CL with 3 coats of Zaino and the last two with 4 coats of Z-2/Z-6
Click here if Yahoo photos don't work.
fastdriver's previous cars. The 300M has Zaino.

Accept mediocrity and that's all you'll ever get!
Old 05-10-2001, 09:10 PM
Race Director

Well since I have been unable to find a 5mm 12v non-red LED, I'm going to have to go with the POTENTIOMETER solution and dial down the voltage on a blue 2v. Also I've borrowed a friend's slow drill for the delicate work required.

Do you have a RS part # for the Pot?

It looks good. During the day you can't see the LEDs even though they are on. Sunset and dusk, the light[s] slowly come alive. I'll post pics this weekend.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 05-10-2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Sorry Ken, I didn’t see this post on Monday.

I’m glad to see someone else besides me actually tried this.
I am SO glad I did it because it is VERY helpful in the dark.

I live on a rural road and the nearest streetlight is about 5-Miles away.
When I pull into my driveway at 10PM I don’t have to fumble in the dark for the buttons any more.

As for your question about the drill, I used a small jewelers drill to put the holes in mine.
I wouldn’t go near that assembly with an electric unit.
One trick I have used in the field when I didn’t have a jewelers drill is to TAPE a drill bit to a small screwdriver.
Works great in a pinch and if it’s sharp enough it should go through thin plastic without a problem.

I didn’t even know about the ribbon cable inside until I broke through the plastic on mine.

As for the wires to power the assembly, use the ones that go to the driver’s side vanity mirror.
There are only two wires, so you have a 50 percent chance of getting it right.
If it doesn’t work, switch the wires.
LED’s usually only work when connected in the proper +/- orientation.

Any other questions let me know.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS