Holly crap...found this on the web :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holly crap...found this on the web :(

I know i'm probably putting this in the wrong category, but thought everyone and anyone should be made aware of this. I know we are all more than probably aware of the issue w/ the transmission; but i'll let you read this for yourself.

I don't know if this link will work directly, but if not do a search. This was just a query I did on the 01' CL at an NTSB website (I don't know in what perspective they are associated w/ the NTSB but it looked pretty authentic);

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...n/central2.cfm

These cars are going to depreciate like crazy if these findings can be substantuated, and Acura doesn't acknowledge a problem and give owners of Acura vehicles a remedy which is not a temporary fix.

Just wanted to let everyone know, unfortunately I have put so much into my car now that I will haveto hold onto it.

Old 04-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Old timer

Link doesn't work. Just tell us what you searched for and in which section of their website you searched and what you found.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:37 PM
Old timer

Btw, I just looked for 2k1 CL consumer complaints and there was one vague one about the transmission and then there was this one:

ODI ID: 785243 Make: ACURA Model: 3.2CL Year: 2001

Incident: No
Fire: No
Number of Injuries: 0
Date of Failure:
Component: VISUAL SYSTEMS:MIRRORS:REARVIEW:EXTERIOR
Summary: CONSUMER SITS IN DRIVER'S SEAT TO IT'S REAR MOST POSITION, THE DRIVER'S SIDE POWER MIRROR CAN NOT BE ADJUSTED TO BE ANGLED OUTWARD ENOUGH TO ELIMINATE DANGEROUS BLIND SPOTS FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE CLOSE IN THE ADJACENT LEFT LANE, CONSUMER HAS COME CLOSE TO COLLISIONS DUE TO THIS BLIND SPOT AND HAS MOUNTED ANOTHER MIRROR TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL VIEW. *SLC

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Consumer shouldn't be trying to immitate rap artists by jacking his seat as far back as possible so he looks like he's driving from the back seat.

My seat is all the way back because I have long legs, but I don't recline the seatback all the way back so I'm laying down while I drive like some retard who thinks he's cool.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:42 PM
War Eagle!!!

is that the recall or defect you're speaking of Jsuppi?
Old 04-13-2002, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

well..

I think it's probably better that everyone do their own searches (unfortunately i'm the type to want to read it myself, and it holds more water that way I feel as well).

Goto;
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/

Under the select type of research, click on 'Vehicles', from the dropdown list select '2001', then 'Acura', then select the model (you have entries for CL, TL, 01 CL , etc. and there are entries in different categorie; ie. if you search CL the query may not pull the same items that would be pulled from the 01 CL, etc.). You then can find all the information (some which may not pertain to the transmission), or can isolate to just transmission information. I did a search on 'CL' and it pulled something like 11 results back.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You think you guys have it bad ... I found this one on the RSX-S that I now own:

ODI ID: 8004199 Make: ACURA Model: RSX Year: 2002

Incident: No
Fire: No
Number of Injuries: 0
Date of Failure:
Component: VENTILATION
Summary: VEHICLE IS LEAKING TOXIC HYDROGEN SULFIDE AND INSIDIOUS POISON GASES THROUGH VENTILATION. THIS CAUSES HEADACHE IRRITATION WHILE IN VEHICLE. DEALER HAS NO WAY TO DETECT THE LEVEL. MANUFACTURER WAS CONTACTED. 27-NOV-2001 JH4DC54822C010955.*AK

I better pack some Advil in the glove box !
Old 04-13-2002, 04:40 PM
'Cooter

just when i was starting to give credit to the RSX, i read that!! check out clubrsx and see if they already know!!
Old 04-13-2002, 05:01 PM
Race Director

Yep, we found them. Probably 11 of the dozen or so complaint here. You can tell they were from ACL members because it's the same verbiage you find here about "disclosure" and "widespread" etc. Nobody is listening, nobody cares any more. What does that mean? From an individual standpoint, you should have all the benefits and care and compensation that's coming to you, no question about that. From an industry and collective perspective, who could give a rat's ass?

Why is it that when your water heater experiences "all kinds of problems", the same doesn't happen to Acme Heating Equipment? Is this merely about dollars and convenience and deep pockets?
Old 04-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kensteele
Yep, we found them. Probably 11 of the dozen or so complaint here. You can tell they were from ACL members because it's the same verbiage you find here about "disclosure" and "widespread" etc. Nobody is listening, nobody cares any more. What does that mean? From an individual standpoint, you should have all the benefits and care and compensation that's coming to you, no question about that. From an industry and collective perspective, who could give a rat's ass?

Why is it that when your water heater experiences "all kinds of problems", the same doesn't happen to Acme Heating Equipment? Is this merely about dollars and convenience and deep pockets?
Well, here is my opinion on this:
Manufacturing is an imperfect engineering art form.
Its hard to estimate the extent of the blown tranny population to the entire population as a whole. If the population was large enough and "identifiable," maybe there would be a recall. But for now, it looks like this problem will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Take, the food manufacturing industry for example. I saw a behind the scenes program on the Kit-Kat making process. Their ideal hope is that the taste, texture, crunch, etc of their Kit Kat will be the same throughout their entire production schedule. And they actually spend R&D for structural analysis in hopes of maintaining uniformity. Let's say that the Kit-Kat making process does acheive a 99.99% sameness in quality/characteristics, and if a FDA recall was issued, then an entire production batch would be in jeopardy (depending on when/where the fault was detected).
Interesting note: all Kit-Kat's go through a metal detector.

But for such a complex assembly-line process for automobiles,
there's so much that could deviate from factory specs. and so many variables that could cause mechanical discrepencies. And when the vehicle leaves the dealership, its being tested in all parts of the nation in different environments, another variable.
So yes, I would say Acura's approach is about the almighty dollar.
It's hard to identify which production batches and VIN#'s were affected. And certainly, a recall, is the very last option
Old 04-14-2002, 06:36 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No time for research, i'm too busy driving my car hard and enjoying it