HID theft prevention (long) ..Shawn S need your input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 11:11 PM
do it yourself, !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID theft prevention (long) ..Shawn S need your input.

I took a ride to my shop today because I was bored and wanted to wash the car since I thought it would rain. Anyway..I saw 2 TL's in there with headlights stolen. ANd I just saw the post with the dude that had them stolen on his CL.

The scoop is..it actually is a $6000+ job because the light bulbs for the ballast ALONE cost 300 bucks EACH. If you get shitty bulbs, they will shine yellow and not have the bluish white to it.

I was thinking of how to prevent this and I was looking at the setup of new bulbs. I mentioned if there was a way to not have the ballast attached to our headlight assembly. So you'd have to take it off and attach it to the walls on the engine bay. That way if it stolen, the Ballast which is the rest of the BIG $$$ besides the bulbs won't be taken.

Rumor has it that Acura has done this with their 2003's. Shawn..is it this way on your car?? Or did Acura hold off a redesign for another year to save money since not enough people are getting their stolen?

He did this to one TL and low and behold it works!! And pretty much, if a theft is attempted and the headlughts are ripped off, the ballast stays but the bulbs will still probably be ripped off. But it will disappoint the stupid ass thief. And save you a bit more on damages.

Bottom line is..our cars are targets..can't help prevent that..any alarm or anything wont stop it. The only thing you can do is cover some of your costs. I see how its done and all I can say is..I or anyone can steal your headlights with one hand and use the other to scratch my ass.

-jeremy
Old 03-25-2002, 01:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought one of the main reason's the CL's headlights get stolen is because it's pretty easy to pop the hood if you know what youre doing? In the other post today I wrote about how this guy really messed up his car...because in previous pictures, i've noticed very little body damage. In one of the first pictures of a TL with stolen headlights I think the person just popped the hood and unhooked everything that way.

Something about it just being a easy pull of a cable..so maybe you can install a hoodlock? If they can get to the hood, then relocating the ballast won't really do much...if they know what they're doing.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ll check it out, but I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for.
Do you have a picture of the parts ???

My opinion:
There’s really no way to totally prevent this.
Even if Acura DID make this change, there will already be 2,000-dollars damage to your car by the time they get it “pealed” open to look.
Unless the module you speak of is mounted in a spot they can’t get to, they’re going to find it anyway.

Even if you have some type of alarm hooked to the lights, your body is still damaged by the time it goes off.

SAD BUT TRUE

Shawn S