HID protection

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID protection

Hey guys. Pretty new to the thread here. I know this is a CL forum, but this should work on CL's as well. I've had my '03 TL-S for about a week now, reaching the 600 mile break in mark tommorow. Anyway, a concern I've had was the HID theft I've been constantly hearing about. I am an EMT in NYC and have lights and sirens in my car, that were all professionally installed. I also have an alarm/remote starter. I was at my installer this morning and we were discussing a way to protect the headlights. We were talking about maybe putting some sort of chain around it or a cable, but decided that if someone wanted the lights, it's not too hard to just snip the chain or cable. I have my alarm connected into the siren, so that if the alarm is set off, the 100 watt siren goes off(very loud). We worked something out where he put two pin switches on the corners under the hood so that if the hood is lifted even 1/4" it will set the alarm off. The point being that if a potential theif sticks a crow bar into the hood, as soon as that happens the alarm will go off, which means he'll have 100 watts of siren right in his ear(the speaker is right behind the grill), plus the factory alarm. It won't be a deterent but I hope it will be effective that if someone starts, they won't be able to get too far. What do you guys think? By the way, the name of the Shop is Securely Yours, and it's located on Avenue I and McDonald in brooklyn. If you need a number or contact person, let me know. This guy does unbeleivable work and is very reliable and always backs up his work. I've had two or three cars already done by him and was very pleased each time. We were thinking of maybe putting some sort of LED into the light, but thought it would look cheesy and also it might draw more attention to the lights or might even challenge a potential theif. Again, just curious what the thoughts are with this and if you guys think it will be effective. Thanks.

Donny

You can email me at Hatzq68@aol.com with any questions.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Racer

not affecive because as soon as they open the hood and cut a wire to the battery alarm will sto going off, and trust me one will ever look outside because they'll think its an emergency car passing by, and trust me no one will hear the original alarm because siren will kill the sound of original alarm.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:44 PM

i got my HIDs stolen a few months ago and they never popped the hood.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Advanced

how did they get them out? Where was the damage?

Donny
Old 05-28-2002, 01:53 PM

they went from the side fenders, they tried to pop the hood but wasnt successful i guess. Cause I only had a little bent on the hood on one side, but both side fenders were dented in. I have pics of the damage at home, i'll post them for u to see if u want. I dont really recall how they stole the lights, was too pissed off to think at the time. $5700 and 3 weeks to fix.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Well I hope not to have to experience this, but I would think the easiest way to do it would be to crowbar the hood and then pop the lights out, and if they do that, they're in for a surprise.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:57 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's Paul's thread with the pictures...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=64944

It looks like they don't have to pop the hood or remove the bumper to swipe the lights.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:44 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by vsokolov
not affecive because as soon as they open the hood and cut a wire to the battery alarm will sto going off, and trust me one will ever look outside because they'll think its an emergency car passing by, and trust me no one will hear the original alarm because siren will kill the sound of original alarm.
Another option would be to get a secondary alarm w/ it's own internal battery hooked up to your sensors. That way if they cut the power one alarm horn is still going.

I had it on my Clifford and it was a direct plug and play deal. Cost me an additional $100.

I think you should also tell your installer to put two motion sensors on each of the lights (or one in the front bumper). That may be the best way to detect any movement up front.