HID headlight out..anyone else have this happen too??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID headlight out..anyone else have this happen too??

I have an 03 CL and about a week ago my right headlight went out. Anyone else have this problem too? When I turn on the light, it lights up briefly (maybe 1/2 a second) and then turns off.

I took this to a mechanic that I trust and he said that it's a problem with the high voltage and not the bulk itself. He said I need to go back to the dealer and get it replaced there.

I went to the dealer yesterday and spoke wit hthe service guy and he said it will take a few hours to check out the problem itself.

I have the 7 year/100k extended warranty and he said it should cover everything. The only thing it doesn't cover would be the bulb (if that needs replacing). However he said that since it lights up briefly and turns off that it's most likely not the bulb itself.

Since it's an HID bulb and could be costly I don't want to go in there having to pay for one especially if I don't need it. I need to go to the Riverside, CA dealer since that's the closest to where I go to school. (usually I go to the Alhambra dealer). I usually get good service at the alhambra one, never been to the Riverside one so I don't know anything about them. I just want to be informed enough so that they aren't blowing me smoke about what the problem is.

So if anyone had this problem before, does it sound like just the high voltage problem like I stated earlier?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man, hell yea! My 02 CL light did that, it was the inverter. I bought a light bulb, no fix...then took it to the dealer, inverter....$600 plus.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lilnate
Man, hell yea! My 02 CL light did that, it was the inverter. I bought a light bulb, no fix...then took it to the dealer, inverter....$600 plus.
oh yeah that's what the service advisor called it..the inverter. Your warranty didn't cover it at the time?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its a inverter at the DLR the part is $300 + (very easy to install)
I had 3 go bad over the 9 years I owned this car..
My ACURA extended Warrenty was giving me a hard time to cover it saying it is a wear and tear item, they go bad..Just like light bulbs, they will not cover light bulbs cuz they go bad... I found 2 whole headlights (inverter,bulbs,caseings) for $200 on www.car-parts.com ( they search junk yards ) most jusnk yards charge $150 for the part i called many and found 1 in texas where the guy had no clue the car even had HID's so i told him I wanted both.. Now i have 2 extra bulbs and 1 extra inverted and a headlight all for $200.. So if I where u , call the DLR and asked then if the warrenty u have covers Ballasts , inverters before you think it is covered, it might be, but like I said ACURACARE deneid warrenty on it for me!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
The inverters are wierd like i said I had a few go on my seems like they have a service life of 5-6 years (or more i used to have my headlights on all the time day and night)
Sometimes the light will flicker and stay on, sometimes it will not stay on. I had it flicker for a week then no problrms for 6 months then start flickering and not stay on.
I had to keep turning lights off/on till i got lucky and they stayed one..
I bought new bulbs and that helped for like 3 days ( i though i got lucky and had a bad bulb once) but 3-4 days later started up again!
If its not under warrenty then it is very ease to replace but you have to take the front bumper off to get the light out.. The light is like 3-4 bolts) and the inverter is screwed to the bottom of the light.

part #13 but try the DLR first they might cover it!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

hey civic why dont you take that L E D and stick it up ur ass hole B
Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

All Moderators are booty
Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,238 Likes on 4,860 Posts
Originally Posted by number1blood
hey civic why dont you take that L E D and stick it up ur ass hole B
Hahahahaha, this guy is hilarious.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Hahahahaha, this guy is hilarious.
Sounds like a friend of yours?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,238 Likes on 4,860 Posts
He must think so, but I have no idea who he is. He obviously has a hard on for me.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, my warranty covered it, but i was s.o.l. on the bulb.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:32 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by lilnate
Yes, my warranty covered it, but i was s.o.l. on the bulb.
The bulb is prob still good!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuck the dealer...i don't know about you but i like my money...$600 is crazy money...in all likely hood it's the ballast/inverter..its all one piece on the cl...i bought a complete headlight that included the ballast from a local junkyard $150.00...thank you car-parts.com...the only bitch about it is removing the front bumper to get to the headlight... But its easy.. Took me about an hour and a half to do..just do a little searching on here...you'll see how easy it really is to replace.. D.i.y.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
B A N N E D

Screw the Dealers they do nuttin to help us why help them...
www.car-parts.com like I said i bought 2 whole headlights (case,ballast,bulb) for $250 shipped to me , 1 headlight case was cracked though. so i replaced the ballast and have 2 bulbs and 1 case and 1 ballast just in case... Buy the helms manual or search here and you will save thousands of dollars.. when my engine was throwing codes for 3 cylinders misfiring the dlr said a rod or something was bent and wanted like $1600 turns out i bought 4 coilpaks on ebay for $75 and replaced 1 and problem somlved... i saved $1500 for something that didn t need to be replaced!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM
10th Gear

we call em stealerships fo sho. i was told vibration or water or poor ground wires will kill those things all day
Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 AM
eh

When mine went a lot of people mentioned checking for a bad ground as s2knky. Do a search, you might be able to do an easy fix and save some cash.

My dealership in Canada wouldn't cover the ballast under warranty and they quoted $1000 CND for part. Ebay saved me $850 and I learned how to remove the front bumper ...
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

On friday I took my car to the dealer and after they tested it, it indeed was the inverter. They covered it under my warranty and now light works great.

I would've had to pay $440 for a new inverter without my warranty.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Photoshop Junkie

Crazy...

I JUST dealt with this exact thing this Saturday. My headlight went out a few weeks ago then came back on...then off for good. Took it in and they were talking $900 for this damn inverter! Before the tears started flowing, I realized I didn't mention my extended warranty. Took care of that bitch for free! (minus the $150 for the bulb...which now doesn't match the other one? The new one is more yellow, the old one is blue. Dammit!)

Me <heart> my extended warranty. It's paid for itself a few times over now.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
B A N N E D

I garentee the bulb DID not need to be replaced, i went through 2 inverters and still have the same bulbs that came with the car!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SirSixSpeed
I JUST dealt with this exact thing this Saturday. My headlight went out a few weeks ago then came back on...then off for good. Took it in and they were talking $900 for this damn inverter! Before the tears started flowing, I realized I didn't mention my extended warranty. Took care of that bitch for free! (minus the $150 for the bulb...which now doesn't match the other one? The new one is more yellow, the old one is blue. Dammit!)

Me <heart> my extended warranty. It's paid for itself a few times over now.
yeah man, your bulb probably didn't need to be replaced. You said it would go on and off. A few days before I took my car to the dealer, I noticed that it would stay lit for about 1-2 seconds and turn off, which is a sign that the bulb is still functional. I hope that your bulb really was bad if that was the case.

$900 for the inverter alone? man the dealer i took it to told me it was $440. They also told me someone else brought in their TL to get the a new inverter, new bulb, plus labor which would put thhem at $800.
sounds like the dealer is a major rip-off. I would look to go to a different dealer next time for any problems
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Photoshop Junkie

Yeah...

I thought it was slightly BS that I would need a new bulb AND inverter, but what can I do a this point? Looks like they got me. I still need to at least contact them and ask about the different colored bulb.

I think I was just so damn relieved that I didn't have to pay that outrageous price. AND they told me my motor mounts were broken (!) so they did those for free too. $150 for a bulb didn't even phase me at that point.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine did this for the 1st time about a week ago. I guess time to start looking for an inverter.