Hi-Beams.. there's a lot..... is Solaris the best??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 11:54 AM
dynamic Duo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi-Beams.. there's a lot..... is Solaris the best??

what about Hiper/Hyper or whatever...
Solaris is kinda expensive, but if u guys say its the best, then i guess i'll stick with it..

I wanna buy a good Japanese brand...
What's that site that carries Solaris
Old 01-09-2001, 11:59 AM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Akim711:
what about Hiper/Hyper or whatever...
Solaris is kinda expensive, but if u guys say its the best, then i guess i'll stick with it..

I wanna buy a good Japanese brand...
What's that site that carries Solaris
</font>

I've got the PIAA's and are satsified with them. Since the high beams are expensive there has been little comparison on the brights and I have not seen pictures comparing the two - have simply taken some opinions and bought the PIAAs - I am told they are whiter than the Solaris - don't know if this is true or not. What is true is that they are brighter than OEM.

Got them at autobulbdepot.com

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-09-2001, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I have the PIAA Superwhite's for low and high beam. I plan on transferring the PIAA high beams over when I "upgrade"......

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(
Old 01-09-2001, 12:08 PM
dynamic Duo!

I kinda want something BRIGHT!!! and BLUE!
haha

Solaris or PIAA? or maybe Hyper? or maybe some ghetto trademark?
Old 01-09-2001, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

If you want a perfect match w/ the HID's go w/ solaris, if you want a blueish tint go w/ the cheap brand. I had Nokya super whites about 15 dollars each (had them on my old maxima) and give a good white w/ a hint of blue. A lot of local performance shops carry both the Nokya (cheap brand) and either piaa's or rayburgs and some others i can't thnk of in my area.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech . may be more mod'z after when i get a job.
Old 01-09-2001, 04:49 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Akim711:
I kinda want something BRIGHT!!! and BLUE!
haha

Solaris or PIAA? or maybe Hyper? or maybe some ghetto trademark?
</font>
For the bluest and brightest, that would be Solaris.

The problems with Solaris could be significant for you, though.

1.) They are higher powered and based on complaints on other boards (though not this one) they seem more prone to burning out within the first year of use.

2.) They are "sold for offroad use only."

3.) The only source for Solaris (as far as I know) is autosupermart.com. Based on my experience and some others on this board, doing business with autosupermart.com is problematic. They are definitely flakey and fly-by-night. I don't know them to be dishonest, but they are very difficult to contact by email, and it was impossible to talk to anyone by phone. They do not process orders for weeks sometimes, or notify you of backorders, or do anything in the time promised.

If you have to have the Solaris bulbs though, they are your only choice and you will probably get them in the mail, eventually. I can't see why you'd want to take your chances ordering anything else from them, though; lotsa luck getting their attention if anything goes wrong.

I've had a good experience with the PIAA Platinum superwhites. You get an assurance from PIAA that they are legal in 50 states. I understand that some Police don't like the PIAA "Blue's" though, and it's a pricey fix-it ticket if a cop feels like giving you one.

If you still want something that looks blue, I'd suggest buying something cheaper than the Solaris's or PIAA's, that way it doesn't hurt so much if they blow out or you get cited.

Remember never to touch your bulbs with your hands because the palm grease will make them blow out sooner, and save your old bulbs, just in case!

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2001, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't want to pay all that much for the bulbs, then I would go with Hiper. I personally like them. I have PIAA's too, but the Hipers gave off a little more of a blue color. Check out My Car...in my signature. The low beam lights are hiper.

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.