Here is some Info on the 2G CL/TL transmission .. ATF filter change .. Solenoids..ect

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009 | 08:29 AM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
StonedCL put up a DIY on changing out the switches and its on the service manual too, i believe. I ordered the 3rd gear switch and it was about 58 dollars.
The switches are easy, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and take off the plastic in the wheel well. You will see the switches, unscrew them and pull them out , u might lose a little fluid when u do the one thats lower so be ready to pop the other one on right when u take the old one off.
I think someone posted better instructions with pics if u search!
Old 11-24-2009 | 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

well you posted the service manual instructions at the beginning of the thread so thats good enough.

Thanks for the heads up on the fluid. I didnt know if there would be any coming out and the manual didnt say anything.
Old 11-28-2009 | 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

Hell they changed mine tranny and there was nothing wrong with it. Im thinking about installing that comptech cooler on the rebuilt one. What do you guys think bout that idea?
Old 11-28-2009 | 05:36 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

cooler wont help the trans much, unless u race ur car.
Old 11-28-2009 | 08:35 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

which switch controls the 1st shift??? mine is a lil wierd only at a certain throttle position. I think it's the tranny pcm but this is worth a shot i guess.

So which one is it..?
Old 11-28-2009 | 08:38 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

is it the automatic pressure control valve switch A????
Old 11-28-2009 | 08:43 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Originally Posted by StonedCL
The switches are easy, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and take off the plastic in the wheel well. You will see the switches, unscrew them and pull them out , u might lose a little fluid when u do the one thats lower so be ready to pop the other one on right when u take the old one off.
I think someone posted better instructions with pics if u search!
y would u want to change the switches? did u verify that they were bad? how did u verify that?
Old 11-28-2009 | 08:46 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

anyone know which switch(s) control the 1st shift?
Old 12-20-2009 | 05:14 PM
Safety Car

Damn, the pics are gone Anyone have any of the pictures saved? I mostly just need the number for the ATF filter..
Old 12-21-2009 | 12:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Name:  Photo0263A.jpg
Views: 3544
Size:  10.5 KB
Old 08-08-2011 | 10:32 PM
3rd Gear

Is there another filter in the transmission?
Old 08-09-2011 | 08:56 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

the answer is yes and u'd know that if u read the thread skip
Old 03-22-2013 | 03:00 PM
kik
Intermediate

Is changing the external ATF filter a good idea? I've called several shops and they say no. I haven't seen any posts showing the dirty guts of an old filter, sounds like we're replacing it because we can? Logic does tell me that a filter should be changed every now and then... my trans is going strong at 170k miles (Except bearing noise and click when shifting into reverse). Since I'm trying to stretch my tranny's life out - I suppose I'll do it. Does anyone REALLY know if it's matters though?
Old 03-22-2013 | 03:07 PM
I Wanna Beer

Why would it ever be bad to change a filter? All filters have a finite lifespan. Changing it can't hurt anything and will only help to trap additional particulate.
Old 03-25-2013 | 02:07 PM
kik
Intermediate

I found this information on this page, in short it says that the ATF filter is not a typical free-flow filter, but rather a magnetized backwash filter. So someone like me with 170k miles should probably change it. Maybe i'll cut it open once changed-out.

Below excerpt is from: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tec...glifeautotrans

WHAT ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION FILTER?

Logic would seem to dictate that if there is a removable filter in the transmission that it should be replaced periodically. In actuality, this is not always the case. When most people think of a transmission filter, they apply the same logic as they do towards an oil filter. The difference between the operational characteristics of a transmission filter and an oil filter are so different that they cannot be compared. An oil filter is considered to be a ‘full-flow’ filter, meaning that the entire amount of your engine’s motor oil passes through the filter on each pass through the oil pump. The oil filter will trap any particle of about 10-15 microns or larger, which is roughly the thickness of a human hair. Eventually, the filter will become so filled with particulate matter that it can become too restrictive, causing it to go into ‘by-pass’ mode, which simply allows unfiltered oil to circulate through your engine. Obviously then, frequent oil and filter changes are necessary.

In contrast to that, a typical transmission filter is NOT a full flow filter. Only a small portion of the transmission fluid passes through the filter as it makes its way through the transmission. In fact, most of the fluid flows around the filter and up into the valve body. The idea is that eventually, most of the fluid will find its way into the filter, and any particulate matter that may be ‘swimming’ around in there will be held in the filter. When the engine is turned off, all of the transmission fluid that is being held up inside the valve body and filter will drain back into the transmission pan. This all has somewhat of a ‘backwashing’ effect on the filter, as a lot of the debris in the filter will be forced down into the pan. Many manufacturers put a magnet in the bottom of the transmission pan to collect and hold these metallic-filings and debris, to keep them from traveling through the transmission. This design is what allows manufacturers to make claims of anywhere from 50,000 miles for a filter change recommendation, all the way up to 100,000 miles.

The best recommendation for a classic muscle-car owner is to flush the transmission as often as described above, and to change the transmission filter about every 30,000 miles.

Last edited by kik; 03-25-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: formatting
The following users liked this post:
Sundj01 (12-29-2019)
Old 03-26-2013 | 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kik
I found this information on this page, in short it says that the ATF filter is not a typical free-flow filter, but rather a magnetized backwash filter. So someone like me with 170k miles should probably change it. Maybe i'll cut it open once changed-out.

Below excerpt is from: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tec...glifeautotrans

WHAT ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION FILTER?

Logic would seem to dictate that if there is a removable filter in the transmission that it should be replaced periodically. In actuality, this is not always the case. When most people think of a transmission filter, they apply the same logic as they do towards an oil filter. The difference between the operational characteristics of a transmission filter and an oil filter are so different that they cannot be compared. An oil filter is considered to be a ‘full-flow’ filter, meaning that the entire amount of your engine’s motor oil passes through the filter on each pass through the oil pump. The oil filter will trap any particle of about 10-15 microns or larger, which is roughly the thickness of a human hair. Eventually, the filter will become so filled with particulate matter that it can become too restrictive, causing it to go into ‘by-pass’ mode, which simply allows unfiltered oil to circulate through your engine. Obviously then, frequent oil and filter changes are necessary.

In contrast to that, a typical transmission filter is NOT a full flow filter. Only a small portion of the transmission fluid passes through the filter as it makes its way through the transmission. In fact, most of the fluid flows around the filter and up into the valve body. The idea is that eventually, most of the fluid will find its way into the filter, and any particulate matter that may be ‘swimming’ around in there will be held in the filter. When the engine is turned off, all of the transmission fluid that is being held up inside the valve body and filter will drain back into the transmission pan. This all has somewhat of a ‘backwashing’ effect on the filter, as a lot of the debris in the filter will be forced down into the pan. Many manufacturers put a magnet in the bottom of the transmission pan to collect and hold these metallic-filings and debris, to keep them from traveling through the transmission. This design is what allows manufacturers to make claims of anywhere from 50,000 miles for a filter change recommendation, all the way up to 100,000 miles.

The best recommendation for a classic muscle-car owner is to flush the transmission as often as described above, and to change the transmission filter about every 30,000 miles.
The big difference Here is A). There are 2 filters on this trans. 1, an internal non serviceable and 2, the one above an External serviceable filter. and B). these trans have a design flaw. The more you can keep the filter and solenoids clean the less wear they will have.
Old 05-28-2013 | 10:11 PM
7th Gear

I have a hard shift from 2 nd to third but I think this is the problem. I took it to Aamco, but they're not trustworthy mechanics the told me I had no problems with trans just mounts. My car jerks only when it gets to about 29-31 mph. It feels like my transmission. If I knew I would have d fixed so I'm looking for advice from more exp. cl ers
Old 05-29-2013 | 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

hard 2-3 ishift is the death song for the trans
Old 06-04-2013 | 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I've been having a firm 2-3 shift for a while (50k?) and it's still going. Just baby the trans and change the fluids often. I do every 8-10k or oil change.
Old 05-07-2014 | 12:40 PM
2nd Gear

Smile Transmission Fixed!!

I figured I would make a thread about our trannies and keeping them alive for you newbies.... I replaced the trans 3 times from ACURA and recently had it Rebuilt but a independent transmission shop.. I changed the ATF filter (which most dlrs dont even know about0 twice and fluid and many occasions so here it goes....

First off changing ATF filter.. Part #9 in this diagram..

Some of you guys with a older transmission have this oil jet I have a newer (suposidly fixed tranny so DO NOT have the oil jet just a NUT there (this is where u fill the transmission fluid. If u have a oil jet there I belive u have a older transmission (this was acura's band-aid to the problem)

Make sure that while removing the steel fluid line not to damage the o-ring. I replaced mine when I replaced my filter. Be sure to coat it with trans fluid before installing the line.

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this info. My TL would occasionally 'miss' the gear when downshifting to accelerate, instead of downshifting it would feel like the car switched into neutral and it would redline. If I let off the gas it would then find the gear and continue as normal.

I didn't know this filter existed before reading this, and the Acura dealer insisted when I bought it that the filter NEVER needs to be changed and I was waisting my time.

Anyways, did a drain and fill with the new ATF-DW1 fluid, used car for two oil changes, put the filter in and did another drain and fill. After putting the filter in its like a new transmission! SO crisp, smooth and confident in it's shifting. I didn't realize before how sluggish the shifting really was. And I haven't had it miss once since the filter change!!
Old 06-02-2014 | 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have the part numbers for the pressure switches? My car is shakes from 3rd to 4th.
Old 06-03-2014 | 06:32 PM
2003 CL

ATF Filter.. Part # is on the bag..
Thanks a lot for this info. Glad you posted the photo & I was able to find an equivalent replacement in Rockauto.com for less than 1/2 price what the Acura dealer charges.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...462&cc=1410286
Old 11-11-2018 | 04:33 PM
10th Gear

Where is the 2nd clutch switch on 2g tl? First post

OK so I have replaced the 3rd and 4th switches bt CAN NOT find the 2nd. Does anybody have a picture or nething that could help plz?
Old 10-07-2019 | 02:14 PM
5th Gear

This is where you fill the new fluid if you have a oil jet this is how it will look if you do not have a oil jet then they will be a bolt that says ATF on it!

Attachment 86179
Ate fluid , can you pour it through the dip stick or speed sensor rite next to oil jet?