help: TYPE-S IM vs. unichip

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
help: TYPE-S IM vs. unichip

so the basic background story here is b/c of parents and some other reasons, i have to keep my car until after college. im studying architecture=5year program and im a freshman now. I AM VERY satisfied with my car, but a little more power would be nice. BOTTOM LINE: im planning for the "far" future...like in 2-3yrs...meaning im saving money now...

ok to the point! I have the J32A1 with Comptech Headers and Comptech CAI. I want to stay N/A also, so I'm looking at either a type-s intake manifold OR a unichip. from what ive seen, the unichip is $730, and the intake manifold and the parts required i believe was something like $500ish. if im gonna spend anything around there, those numbers become the same for me (+garage cost of course). unichip = 12.8% increase i believe (my 265hp [H/I] x 12.8%= 299HP), and type-s IM would give the 35hp difference between cl-p/cl-s = 300HP (ROUGHLY! lol)

so which is better? more practical? gives the better results (in reality)? maybe a big $$$ difference im not aware of? etc...what do you guys think?

p.s. ive been reading about them, but no direct comparisons that ive seen...

THANKS A LOT!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UHH dude where did you get 300hp that does not make sense at all the Type S IM does nto give you 35 hp if im correct. On top of that I think you have a CL-P so yea I dont know the clp hp but I am pretty sure its lower then 200 whp I would guess if you add those 2 ons maybe around 245whp so around 270 crank HP.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Based on your math I think the 5 year architecture program is going to take you 7.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Team Owner

The Type-S manifold is not the only difference between the CL-S and the CL-P. The compression ratio, increased redline, and ECU all play a factor here.

The best bang for the buck you can achieve based on what you already have is a lightweight under drive pulley from Unorthodox Racing.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
umm, cl=p have 225 hp and cl-s have 260 hp to the top....sooo, you are a little off with your numbers man...but back to the point, get the unichip if its a stick, if not, just get the pulley kit for $200
Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VinceBlkCLS
UHH dude where did you get 300hp that does not make sense at all the Type S IM does nto give you 35 hp if im correct. On top of that I think you have a CL-P so yea I dont know the clp hp but I am pretty sure its lower then 200 whp I would guess if you add those 2 ons maybe around 245whp so around 270 crank HP.

headers, UR crank pulley, UniChip, CAI, and deleted mufflers only achieved me 206 whp.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 PM

i used to love the sarcasm on this forum, but not when its against me...lol.

225HP stock (yes, at crank asses) + 25HP headers (yes at crank asses, 20@wheels) = 250HP, then CAI gives bout 10 (yes at crank asses6-8 @wheels) = 260HP. oh and i claimed 265crank HP to piss you guys off. lol...it worked.

now for you idiots, lemme clearify: with type-s IM, the comptech headers GET MORE POWER! = get 32hp @wheels and 43 at crank (instead of 20/25 respectively)...NOT to mention what the Intake would add if i didnt even have the headers...

so 225hp stock + 15HP (we'll estimate low for the IM) + 43hp (headers @ crank) + 10hp (for CAI @crank) = AN ESTIMATED!!!!!!!!!! 293HP @crank!! c'mon people...
AT WHEELS: 180HP stock + 10HP [IM] + 30hp [headers] + 5 [CAI]= 225HP @ wheels.

ok so im probably wrong...this is ALL theory = POINTLESS, right? sdo lets calm down, but that was my reasoning.

Biglizard's numbers dont match up to what the COMPANIES CLAIM, which is what i follow. biglizard is showing reality and not just trying to rip on me [asses].

the UR pulley sounds good tho...might as well go with that and later, the unichip...IM is too complicated i guess.

thanks guys!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 PM
03 Anth Type S 6 Speed

Hp at the crank is pointless imo, all that matters is what you puttin to the ground.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:09 PM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
adding things the way that you think is not going to give you hp the way you want it to. It it was that easy, then I should be over 350hp with my car. Mind you I have the CLS6 with Comptech headers, no cat and 2.75 inch pipe to the back, a CAI, and a bored throttle body and IM.. I have not dyno'd yet, as that will be coming soon when it gets cool outside anywhere around 65-70 degrees as this is where my car loves it.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AARONSredTYPE-S
umm, cl=p have 225 hp and cl-s have 260 hp to the top....sooo, you are a little off with your numbers man...but back to the point, get the unichip if its a stick, if not, just get the pulley kit for $200

1) The CL-P was never offered with a manual transmission.

2) The UniChip was never offer for a manual transmission.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
i used to love the sarcasm on this forum, but not when its against me...lol.

225HP stock (yes, at crank asses) + 25HP headers (yes at crank asses, 20@wheels) = 250HP, then CAI gives bout 10 (yes at crank asses6-8 @wheels) = 260HP. oh and i claimed 265crank HP to piss you guys off. lol...it worked.

now for you idiots, lemme clearify: with type-s IM, the comptech headers GET MORE POWER! = get 32hp @wheels and 43 at crank (instead of 20/25 respectively)...NOT to mention what the Intake would add if i didnt even have the headers...

so 225hp stock + 15HP (we'll estimate low for the IM) + 43hp (headers @ crank) + 10hp (for CAI @crank) = AN ESTIMATED!!!!!!!!!! 293HP @crank!! c'mon people...
AT WHEELS: 180HP stock + 10HP [IM] + 30hp [headers] + 5 [CAI]= 225HP @ wheels.

ok so im probably wrong...this is ALL theory = POINTLESS, right? sdo lets calm down, but that was my reasoning.

Biglizard's numbers dont match up to what the COMPANIES CLAIM, which is what i follow. biglizard is showing reality and not just trying to rip on me [asses].

the UR pulley sounds good tho...might as well go with that and later, the unichip...IM is too complicated i guess.

thanks guys!
You're so far off it's comical.

Why on earth do you think that:

1) A stock CL-P makes 180whp? It doesn't. I makes about 165-170.

2) The Type-S manifold gives at least 10whp on the CL-P? It won't. At the most 5whp.

3) Why do you go off what the companies claim? And what company claims the Type-S manifold increases 15hp? Companies will claim the absolute highest improvement possible in order to market their product. You are being foolish.

225whp is not going to happen from a CL-P motor. Not without forced induction or nitrous.

My automatic CL-S with Comptech Icebox/Headers/B-Pipe/Exhaust/UR Pulleys/Mugen Thermostat/Fan Switch put down 222whp. After spending 2.5 hours on the dyno getting a UniChip custom tuned it put down a peak of 227whp.

Figures in this range have been backed up numerous times.

My car later went on to put down 295whp which is higher than any other supercharged CL-S figures I've seen posted here. In other words, my N/A numbers were not low by any means.

And finally, who gives a shit what the car makes on the dyno? Dyno numbers are only as good as the dyno they are on. Real world conditions will have a greater affect on the performance of the car. A dyno is only a tool used to provide a rough estimate of the car's performance.

Having said that, add the UR crank pulley and be done with this debate. For what you are looking for it will provide the best bang for the buck.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Team Owner

Also...

Companies will advertise the horsepower increase that is the greatest, not the peak. So the headers probably add 30 hp at 5500 rpm not redline where they probably only add 20hp. This is why your math is useless. The advertised horsepower gains are rarely given as the peak figures.

For instance. The UniChip only added 5whp at the engine's peak performance. However, in the middle of the powerband it added 5-10whp so UniChip will advertise a 10whp increase because it does increase wheel horsepower by 10.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
You're so far off it's comical.

Why on earth do you think that:

1) A stock CL-P makes 180whp? It doesn't. I makes about 165-170.

2) The Type-S manifold gives at least 10whp on the CL-P? It won't. At the most 5whp.

3) Why do you go off what the companies claim? And what company claims the Type-S manifold increases 15hp? Companies will claim the absolute highest improvement possible in order to market their product. You are being foolish.

225whp is not going to happen from a CL-P motor. Not without forced induction or nitrous.

My automatic CL-S with Comptech Icebox/Headers/B-Pipe/Exhaust/UR Pulleys/Mugen Thermostat/Fan Switch put down 222whp. After spending 2.5 hours on the dyno getting a UniChip custom tuned it put down a peak of 227whp.

Figures in this range have been backed up numerous times.

My car later went on to put down 295whp which is higher than any other supercharged CL-S figures I've seen posted here. In other words, my N/A numbers were not low by any means.

And finally, who gives a shit what the car makes on the dyno? Dyno numbers are only as good as the dyno they are on. Real world conditions will have a greater affect on the performance of the car. A dyno is only a tool used to provide a rough estimate of the car's performance.

Having said that, add the UR crank pulley and be done with this debate. For what you are looking for it will provide the best bang for the buck.
OMG, YOU ARE A GENIOUS!!..LOL
I AGREE WITH YA MAN
Old 09-15-2007, 03:22 PM

again lovin the sarcasm...lol. ok you guys make a lot of sense...wait except this last guy...lol... and wait isn't 225HP@ crank x 20% loss through drivetrain = 180HP @ wheels? (also 260 x 20% loss = 205HP@ wheels for stock CL-S) hmmmm...

basically im a product of the recent horsepower race especially with smaller Jap engines...the companies are too, so we definitely claim the greatest number seen in any dyno...EVEN THO ITS USELESS.

my main objective here was not to watch you guys go nuts b/c a CL-P is closer (and yes NOT equal to) [and yes in fact <) a CL-S, but to look for future mods since i have the more popular mods now, and i struck a dead end in terms of where to go.

to end this, yes crank pulley sounds good. see i learned about another mod which i didnt initially consider...IM is a lot of work and requires many parts, maybe too complicated (like you guys tend to make forums). also the unichip will be more expensive by time Fall-Line Motorsports of Northbrook, Illinois tunes it charging $110/hr...CRANK PULLEY it is...and ill be humble and say:

thanks for knocking SOME sense into me, but i will always claim higher HP numbers...its all relative, and reality will only matter when im lined up next to some car who's driver is also out to prove b/c he got ripped on by the forum he calls home...lol.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by AARONSredTYPE-S
"get the unichip if its a stick, if not, just get the pulley kit for $200"

"1) The CL-P was never offered with a manual transmission.

2) The UniChip was never offer for a manual transmission."

lets do our research before we get so cocky...i was cocky above b/c i did mine!!...but i guess i trusted companies too much, and of whom only care about their profits...
Old 09-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Racer

MRSTEVE IS CORRECT dont argue with OG members sorry 206 whp h/p/i/e lol I was thinking about a cls and on top of that I was thinking if he did a TYPE S conversion and listed at the very top you said around 300HP!!!!

"type-s IM would give the 35hp difference between cl-p/cl-s = 300HP (ROUGHLY! lol)"
Old 09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
again lovin the sarcasm...lol. ok you guys make a lot of sense...wait except this last guy...lol... and wait isn't 225HP@ crank x 20% loss through drivetrain = 180HP @ wheels? (also 260 x 20% loss = 205HP@ wheels for stock CL-S) hmmmm...

25% drivetrain loss on the automatic transmission. Either that or our engines are over-rated from the factory.

CL-S w/ 5AT usually put down 190-200whp bone stock.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VinceBlkCLS
MRSTEVE IS CORRECT dont argue with OG members

I make mistakes all the time. Feel free to debate with me.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:51 PM
slobalt defender

Received 349 Likes on 186 Posts
having done the type S manifold swap on my car before i sold it, it was definately worth it if you have all of the other boltons, but it won't give you the numbers you are expecting. I definately felt it in the butt dyno but i'm sure it was not that significant. Keep in mind i also had a typeS bored TB and i hand ported my manifold so i felt a bit more than you would if you just swap manifolds including the IMRC.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill agree with you guys. I have a CL-P with I/H/E, Pullies, Unichip, Type-S IM and IMRC. The mods that made the biggest noticeble difference were the crank pulley and the headers. (intake and pullies were pretty close power wise)

I removed the Uni-Chip since I was running a Type-S map and was told by a couple of people on here that it could cause problems down the road. There was a huge power difference. However i am not sure if all that torque is going to come back once i get it customed tuned as the timing might not be as aggressive.

I would still listen to Mr.Steve (Knows his Shit) and get the Pullies. Well see what she is putting down when I get the unichip tuned. Ill be happy if it is over 200WHP down here in the hot florida sun.