Help! Should I get springs with my sways?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Should I get springs with my sways?

I want to improve my handling without affecting my ride. I know for sure I want to Comptech sways, but I'm not sure about the springs. I don't want the added cost of having to upgrade springs because I got new springs.

Anyone out there that just has sways? Will the springs add the performance.....rougher ride?

Hellpppp!
Old 04-08-2002, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

I only have the sways. You will get a stiffer ride with springs. The car will ride a little bit harsher, but it's not supossed to be that bad at all. Some have not even noticed it. I have better wider tires & the sways, & love how my CL-S rides.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Think of it like going from gym shoes to Nike. Things are just tighter.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:54 AM
phuck your CL race my F4

Re: Help! Should I get springs with my sways?

Originally posted by keniwc
I don't want the added cost of having to upgrade springs because I got new springs.
SEE IF YOU GET SPRINGS THEN YOU DEFINITELY NEED SPRINGS ALONG WITH THEM.......

my suggestion is if you get springs then upgrade to new springs with it, you will enjoy the ride.........
Old 04-08-2002, 09:00 AM
'Cooter

first of all, if u get springs, u'll wish u got them sooner just goin by looks alone.

yes, the ride is rougher, and it's more sporty, but that's what getting springs is all about...how much rougher depends on the tires, b/c the tires' noise will intrude more, so in a sense, road noise is amplified...my Pilot Sport A/S's have minimal road noise vs. stocks, so for me, it was worth getting springs, b/c my quality of ride is more positive than negative...compare that to let's say the Toyo Proxes T1-S...they're more sporty b/c they're 3-season tires only, therefore the ride is rougher, and u'll feel it/hear it...the tradeoff is u get an even better handling ability from the tires alone, so in this case the positives and negatives more cancel each other out.

bottom line is can u tolerate the feedback from the road noise that is amplified by getting springs??? only way u'll know for sure is to find someone who has the setup and try it out for yourself...that's how i did it...i tested Mercury's ride with sways and Proxes only, then sometime later springs, sways, and Proxes...springs make a difference, believe me...for and aft support is much greater...car just feels solid all around with the spring/sway/tire combo...the way it should have been
Old 04-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro

I agree with Scooter. Springs and sways make a significant difference to the handling of the CL-S. The car just feels tighter in corner and less floaty over transistions. The tires do contribute to the perceived harshness of the ride with the springs; especially with the 3 seasons type, like the Toyos; however, I wouldn't have it any other way. Every corners and s-curves is pure cornering bliss...hehehe.