HELP!!! Should I buy this...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 08:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Should I buy this...

I looking to buy a new 2002 CL-S sometime next week and I was wondering if I should buy a new one off the lot or should I buy the demo model the dealer has in the showroom? The demo is a satin silver with spoiler, locks, and muds. What should I pay for a demo model? (how much should I make them discount the car)

Would you buy a demo? There's nothing wrong with the car except that it will need to be cleaned before I take delivery of it.

I'm thinking $2000 off would be fair or is that too much?

PLEASE GIVE SOME INSIGHT.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:07 PM
Ain't No Other...

If you can get the Demo for 29K, I would get it, but make sure you check the car allllllll around to ensure that there are no noticeable scratches from people going in and out...places I would check is the top of the trunk, hood (where the latch is and on the top surface), then I would check near the door handles on all four doors, and the edges of the door, those places have the most scratches, otherwise, the car was on the showroom floor, so nobody probably test drove it, which is a good thing...well good luck!
Old 11-10-2001, 09:47 PM
Banned

For 2 grand, I'd rather have a brand new car. Who knows how many times that demo was redlined with 10 miles on it. Or how many jerks did neutral drops. Remember Soopa and Phil's story about their RSX test drive?
Old 11-10-2001, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Liket he 2nd poster said, It was a showroom car. Therefore it was probably never test driven. Just sat there on the lot its whole life.

-defrag
Old 11-10-2001, 10:58 PM
Drifting

It depends how many miles the demo has. It should be cheaper than 29K. Seriously I bought my CLS brand new for 26500. I mean w/o taxes and tag and all but still grand total was below 29K. Then again I bought it 9/12 so I guess the dealer was desperate to sell.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:59 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SinnedTL
... then I would check near the door handles on all four doors, and the edges of the door, those places have the most scratches, otherwise, the car was on the showroom floor, so nobody probably test drove it, which is a good thing...well good luck!
ummm ... I just went outside and checked my CL. It has only 2 doors . Maybe the other 2 are the mysterious doors mentioned by Soopa I need to start searching my car for those 2 doors
Old 11-11-2001, 12:32 AM
Ain't No Other...

Originally posted by SilverKnight

ummm ... I just went outside and checked my CL. It has only 2 doors . Maybe the other 2 are the mysterious doors mentioned by Soopa I need to start searching my car for those 2 doors
I guess I was thinking about my car...mine is a TL, hey man dont low ball me here, at least the TLers got a bodykit out for us...you guys are the orphaned child of Acura...
Old 11-11-2001, 12:49 AM
TRELOS

Go for the Showroom model. You'll get it cheaper and still be able to go through all the defects that Acura has to offer .

'Well Johny lets see what Acura has to offer. Well mabey our lucky customer would like to take his CLS to the dealer every 5K to have the rotors turned. Or if that doesn't please our lucky buyer then mabey a months paid rental of a Brand New, Used Chevy Metro. And if that doesn't satisfy our swavy shopper, hows about a rock soild cock in the ass when the warranty expires and this lucky leaser has to cough up the cash of the next new tranny'.
=Aplause=Aplause=Aplause=
And the crowd cheers.

TRELOS

PS mabey u should consider getting the extended warranty
Old 11-11-2001, 02:56 AM
10th Gear

dealer profit

I'm from Toronto so prices are obviously different here but before I bought my car I found out, which you may like to know, that there is a 4000 dollar profit on the CL. Meaning if the dealer sells it for cost (in Canadian would be 36,000) then the dealer pockets 4,000!

Maybe you should add that in while talking to your dealer. Or you don't have too .. I'm just tryin to help!
Old 11-11-2001, 07:18 AM
Drifting

If you decide on the showroom model, take it outside in the daylight to look it over! Inside lights will hide scratches, and blems..
Old 11-11-2001, 09:38 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful about demos. I went to an Acura dealer and they tried to seel me a silver CL-S with 6k miles with navi and a spoiler for the same 30k I paid for a brand new White Non-Nav CL-S. I'm glad I did because I saw the guy that drove the "demo", and he was smoking in it like a chimney and he treated the car like shit. If that wasn't enough, when I took my car in for its first oil change, there was the great deal they were going to give me, with the trans out, and for some reason the whole interioir was out of it too. The moral of my story is you should realize that a guy that demos a car has no ties to it, so he probably doesn't care about it and beats it...wouldn't you!!!
Old 11-11-2001, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

I would never buy a demo. First of all there not broken in to right because everyother person who was test driving it was probably braking hard, and accelerating hard to test the car. Also my acura dealer was using there comptech cl-s demo car as a 'food deliviery' car. I saw numerous times where one of them would go out grab a bunch of food and bring it back using the demo.

buying a demo is like buying a rental car. well not really but still.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the replies. Now, I'm a little reluctant to buy because of all the problems CL-S owners have been experiencing. (Tranny, sunroof, rotors, lights, brakes, etc...) Do any of you feel that you wasted your money and with that you brought the Honda Accord Coupe instead? My buddy has the Ex-V6 and he has 15k miles and hasn't had one problem with it. Maybe I should buy the IS300 or the new A4 or anything German. If I experience any of the symptoms you guys' have been experiencing I think I would shoot the salesman who sold me the car and his manager.

I cannot believe that Acura has allowed this atrocity to occur with their products. How can you make an Accord almost problem free, but allow your luxury division vehicles to fall to Hyundai cars in terms of reliability. Hyundai has completely revamped their whole approach to making reliable cars. Acura has done just the opposite from what I see and hear on this forum. I'm losing my peace of mind and I'm starting to feel that I should buy the 2002 Maxima SE or the new Z car. Nissan vehicles do not have the high resale value that Honda products provide, but at least you do not have to worry about a blown tranny.

So, do any of you wish that you bought a Nissan or German product instead?

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:31 PM
Banned

I have to regrets from a reliability standpoint. I have 28000 miles since March 2000. My tranny is fine despite using SS 99% of the time and having somewhat of a lead foot. My sunroof did have the rattle. They fixed it on the first try with Acura magic tape and the sound hasn't returned. At about 20,000 I had the front rotors resurfaced and front pads replaced under warranty. From what I've heard, some of the early production CL's had front brake pads that were too hard. The newer ones are softer and less likely to warp the rotors. I also had a small suspension component break but the car was completely driveable until I got it fixed. Another post says that this component is shared with the Accord where they break all the time. I haven't heard of any problems with lights ofther than people who try to run aftermarket higher wattage bulbs in their road lamps and kep burning them out. No car is perfect. You just have to decide which car's faults will cause you more heartache.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:04 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Juker008
'Well Johny lets see what Acura has to offer. Well mabey our lucky customer would like to take his CLS to the dealer every 5K to have the rotors turned. Or if that doesn't please our lucky buyer then mabey a months paid rental of a Brand New, Used Chevy Metro. And if that doesn't satisfy our swavy shopper, hows about a rock soild cock in the ass when the warranty expires and this lucky leaser has to cough up the cash of the next new tranny'.

I wouldn't even buy the new CL. Or the Accord for that matter.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Old Fella

Demo Car

you know, I think every situation is different. It's probably not accurate to say that every demo car has been trashed, used for food pickups, or whatever. I bought one and it was (and still is) immaculate. Course, it was driven by the Acura Service Manager, who babied it and kept it in great shape. Not a ding or blemish....

So, as one of the earlier posters said, look it over carefully, talk to the dealer about who drove it. Talk to that person or persons.....

Course, I'm just one person who maybe got lucky.....

-Pete
Old 11-11-2001, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

Thank you all for your informative posts.

Take care.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:14 AM
Race Director

if the only way you can afford the car is to get the demo, then grab the demo.

if you can afford a new one then, get a new one.