Heat out Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat out Again

I have the same problem again... I get a blast of air out of the vents but no heat even after 15 minutes. The repair said the heater motor was disconnected. Where would that thing be located? I found the A/C pump, and its fine. It kicks on when I turn on the AC. Where is this mystery motor?

------------------
2001 CL Type S. No mods.
No mods planned. I don't know anything about cars...
Old 01-14-2001, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Nevmeirnd... I found the housing and the single electrical connector going to it... its secured. But still, no heat. Where would the connector on the other end of the wire be located? Under the hood somewhere? Maybe its not gettign any power... and got disconnected ont heother end...

------------------
2001 CL Type S. No mods.
Old 01-15-2001, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

LuckyCL...

You need to change your username, perhaps?

Regardless, you don't need to find where the blower is; at least not at first (its buried deep inside the dash).

Try this 1st...
Can you force the 'blower' fan to go up then down in speed with the manual override knob? Either in a/c or ANY mode?

If you can control the speed of the fan then your coolant flow control valve (or what causes it to open/close) is my next candidate for examination.

Realize that the temp control knob, with the a/c manually set to OFF, will let in the outside air with NO attempt to change its temp IF the degrees are set to 60 (sixty).
IF the a/c is ON (or set to Auto) then 60 will get you Maximum a/c with no attempt to control interior temperature.

It sounds like the 'water control' valve is not opening much if at all. I'm not sure where it is on the coupe but (& I don't have my svc manual in hand), as a rule for water-cooled engines, it is a metal fitting somewhere in the hoses running from the firewall to a fitting on the engine block.

This fitting should appear to have a shaft running thru it with a short arm (maybe 1") attached to this shaft. This arm will have something that pulls on it to rotate the shaft (which has a 'butterfly'-shaped disk attached to it on the inside of the fitting) and thus allow more or less hot coolant to flow into the heater core.

If you are lucky , the control attachment on the valve has 'slipped off' and you can put it back in place. Of course, if you don't fix the reason it came off it will do it again.

There could be other reasons you have no heat: inaccurate temp sensing of the outside or inside temp, for example.

If you had a Svc manual (highly recommended) and wanted to spend the time, you could determine exactly how the 'heat' side of the HVAC functions (engineer-speak for Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning). Then you could go from component to component and see which ones are loose, missing, on vacation, etc. There ARE electrical tests described that can be conducted with fairly trivial instruments (eg. a DVM, Digital Volt Meter).

Regardless, the most important thing is to make sure your dealer knows what he is doing...questionable at this point it seems to me...or find one who does. Good luck.

------------------
'01 Acura CL-S Black/Ebony, Nav-free
Old 01-15-2001, 10:02 PM
Instructor

About that username... it's supposed to mean I'm lucky to be able to get a CL.
I can change the speed of the blower, but just no heat. The guy at the dealer said he had to take off the front dash to get at it... But... if it happens again, I have to start making threats... what can I say to Mr. Machanic to get his butt in gear and fix the problem correctly?
I have a resident mechanic at work, and he told me to check that out... we both went outside and checked all that.

------------------
2001 CL Type S. No mods.