Headlight Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Problems

Ok, I've done a bit of reading up through sifting through a few older threads and I still have a question or two to ask.

My passenger side light just went out while my driver's side works perfectly fine. As I understand it there is usually a problem with the ballast which would require an expensive repair at a shop.

I've also noticed that some people suggest to buy a HID kit, would this fix my problem for sure? And are there any cons to going that route other than I would be straying from the stock look? It seems that you can order a kit of Kaixen from the sponsor group for 300 bucks, would that be cheaper and solve the same problems as replacing the ballast from a dealership.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

If your light just went out and there is no sign of life, then it's probably just that... your bulb is out. If you have some hesitation where the light flickers but doesn't come on then you may have a ballast issue.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM
skaiiz tha limit

It is always better to work with OEM HID then aftermarket. But even though thats my opinion I still like the aftermarket HID kits better cause of the options like deep blue or light blue. I've worked with HIDs for a few years now and I realize most of the time its just the ballast. Buying the ballast and switching them out is your best bet (well you must check if its the bulb is burnt out first). Buying the ballast on ebay is your cheapest route and best in my opinion. For the safe side, take it to dealership and let them replace it. Good Luck!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your ballast went out, spend $325 at acuraoemparts.com and install it yourself.

Done.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

Look, it is not automatic that the ballast needs to be replaced just because the light went out. One thing I've found about this site is that there are people who jump to conclusions. There are some symptoms with our cars that indeed have defiant solutions. This is not one of them. When there could be several solutions always start with the cheapest first. In your case check your bulbs first THEN check your ballast.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice, the way to check the bulb is to switch them around correct? and bumper removal is NOT required for this?

I'm an absolute car newb, but I've been reading this site diligently so hopefully I can figure a thing out or two on my own and save a few bucks.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:28 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Yea check the bulbs but 99% it's the ballast. The ballast design is faulty in that it isn't sealed from moisture and this problem has been corrected in the new models but I'd be extremely surprised if it was the bulb. Let us know!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if you didn't notice any flickering, it's probably the bulb. i pulled mine out and swapped it, and yes, it's really easy to do. you need a torx bit to get at the security screw, though.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 AM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my pass headlight would flash like a strobe then come on dim for a few seconds then stay off... thats a ballast issue.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Okay, so I don't know whether my Acura dealer is full of shit, or I am just... unaware to the prices of our headlight bulbs. But I called and asked how much for these two parts:
Headlight Bulb : 200$
Ballast/Inverter : 700$
Seems... excessive to say the least. Any comments? Suggestions?
I'm pretty sure it's a bulb burnout, I haven't had the opportunity to check since I've been crazy busy with midterms and such.

However if it is just a bulb, 200/ea seems ridiculous, either the guy I was taking to was looking at the wrong part, or they are attempting to bend me over. I also asked if I was to bring it in just to check what was wrong with the passenger headlight if it would be free, but they said it would cost 100$ just for the diagnosis of the problem. I'll be the first to admit I'm not car savvy, but that seems like theft to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
03 CL-S MT

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently had the same problem and it was the ballast. It cost me 75 bucks for one aftermarket ballast. Everything is working in good order now, but I did end up buying two new kaixen bulbs thinking it was the bulb and I ended up burning one bulb with the aftermarket ballast so be carefull of that happening.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
666 Speed

Originally Posted by Koskinator
Okay, so I don't know whether my Acura dealer is full of shit, or I am just... unaware to the prices of our headlight bulbs. But I called and asked how much for these two parts:
Headlight Bulb : 200$
Ballast/Inverter : 700$
Seems... excessive to say the least. Any comments? Suggestions?
I'm pretty sure it's a bulb burnout, I haven't had the opportunity to check since I've been crazy busy with midterms and such.

However if it is just a bulb, 200/ea seems ridiculous, either the guy I was taking to was looking at the wrong part, or they are attempting to bend me over. I also asked if I was to bring it in just to check what was wrong with the passenger headlight if it would be free, but they said it would cost 100$ just for the diagnosis of the problem. I'll be the first to admit I'm not car savvy, but that seems like theft to me.

You can get replacement bulbs on ebay for $50 a set...

D2R is the size that you are looking for.
D2S is for projector's and since we do not have projectors, do not buy these.
D2C is a D2S bulb with a D2R cutout so that it fits both housings.

Oh and you can go with different colors too.
3000k = yellow
4300k = stock
6000k = more blue
8000k = more blue
10000k = light blue
12000k = purpleish

There might be colors between them which are mixes

Best bet is between 4300k-8000k for best light
you go any higher than that, and you will not see a damn thing in the rain. trust me, i'm running 10000k for the blue color only

BTW, the "k" is Kelvins which is the color temperature.

Search Akinaboy (or something like that) on ebay. He has good bulbs for good prices.

Please note, stealerships always charge an arm and leg for the bulbs because they can.

Last edited by artbran; 11-03-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
666 Speed

BTW, I just buy bulbs when I need them for as cheap as I can. My most recent set laster 2 years with them on all the time day and night. I started the car with them on which would make them flicker which is bad for the bulb. BTW, I drove 50000 miles in 2 years so thats a hell of a lot of burn time if you ask me...

What I mean is that I look for the cheapest 10000k D2R bulbs on ebay and buy them.

But thats just me.