Headers install on 6-spd

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Not Fast Enough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers install on 6-spd

Hey guys i have a qustion for you that have installed their own headers expecially allmotor and scalbert. To access the back side of engine is it a good idea to to unhook the motor mounts and lean the engine forwards by using the e-brake and putting it in gear to torque the engine forwards. would this work or do you think it would free up some extra room on the back side or not

your opinions are appreciated

thanks

kevin
Old 09-28-2003, 10:55 AM
East Coast Boost.!

damn bro, you like to make work for yourself. it's easy to get the back header off, just feel around for the bolts and undo them. Also, it's the same on the auto and the 6 speed for the back header, so maybe some of the other guys will give you some tips.

If you're desperate, or just have huge hands, see if you can get some child labor.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to do any of that. In fact the first time I was going to install my header I was wondering if I needed to remove the upper strut brace etc. to make more room. The folks here had done it without doing so. After three installs, the easiest way is as follows:

(1) Remove front manifold cover - easy
(2) Remove rear manifold cover - use a open-end wrench and/or swivel ratchet
(3) Remove front manifold self-locking nuts - easy
(4) Remove rear manifold self-locking nuts - use 3" #12 socket with a small ratchet. Three of the nuts you have to do from under the car... its easer that way
(5) The next part is to remove the A-pipe from under the car - easy
(6) Just remove everything and install again

Now... just make sure you DON'T tighten the self-locking nuts in the manifold (front only) before semi-tightening the A-pipe. Have the rear manifold tightened all the way as you don't want to be screwing with that one. After everything fits and is in order, tighten-up!!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:49 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great tips gus. I'm doing mine next w/end.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
You don't have to do any of that. In fact the first time I was going to install my header I was wondering if I needed to remove the upper strut brace etc. to make more room. The folks here had done it without doing so. After three installs, the easiest way is as follows:

(1) Remove front manifold cover - easy
(2) Remove rear manifold cover - use a open-end wrench and/or swivel ratchet
(3) Remove front manifold self-locking nuts - easy
(4) Remove rear manifold self-locking nuts - use 3" #12 socket with a small ratchet. Three of the nuts you have to do from under the car... its easer that way
(5) The next part is to remove the A-pipe from under the car - easy
(6) Just remove everything and install again

Now... just make sure you DON'T tighten the self-locking nuts in the manifold (front only) before semi-tightening the A-pipe. Have the rear manifold tightened all the way as you don't want to be screwing with that one. After everything fits and is in order, tighten-up!!
Exactly. just make sure to oil the bolts first! I used a bar to push down on the wrench while trying to loosen the rear headers.