Have any of you all had your engine oil or transmission fluid analyzed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Master of Mountain roads

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have any of you all had your engine oil or transmission fluid analyzed?

I have a diesel truck that requires a lot of oil for an oil change. Not long after I got it (used) I had an oil analysis done on it by Blackstone Labs and then I have followed up with several tests since.

A little earlier I remembered seeing that they also did testing and analysis of transmission fluid. Thinking about the ever-present threat of transmission failure our cars enjoy it occurred to me that this could be a very good thing to invest in.

The testing for transmission fluid is the same as for engine oil, $25 per sample. As I said, I've had it done a number of times, both on my truck and on my wife's Audi. I think I'm going to go take a sample of both this weekend and send them in. Its well worth the money.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/transmission.php
Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i recommend Polaris Labs ... http://www.polarislabs.biz/store/tes...fm?page=single

BTW, you can purchase a 10-pack and save a bit of cash.

Definitely, testing is a good thing. Lubricant testing is a proactive, rather than reactive, approach. It is MUCH less expensive to practice preventative maintenance and much more convenient as well. You are doing the right thing. Of course, it is equally important to know what to do with the returned data.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Testing is a good thing, BUT it will be better if you actually have a "normal" result to go by with the subsequent tests
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Master of Mountain roads

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
fsttyyms1,

I agree that it would be very good to do the testing with oil from a 'normal' vehicle but for most of us that's really not possible. However when you complete the simple paperwork that accompanies a returned test sample (sample kits are free) you have to identify the oil you are using and the number of miles on it. From there the analyzing company, be it Polaris Labs, Blackstone Labs, or any other you might find, will look at what should be in the oil at that milage compared to what they actually find. So in a sense the normal condition they compare agains is fresh clean oil. They also set up a file for your vehicle and as you get successive reports they will note any trends, increases, or decreases in contaminants and the long term condition they see in the results.

I think the incident that made me a believer came around the third or fourth test on my truck's oil. The test noted a slight increase in two of the elements as contaminants in my oil, I think it may have been sulphur and chromium, and they suggested the problem might be coming from a failing injector. Darrell, my mechanic (and friend) took the truck in and sure as snot is green the number-8 injector was going bad and leaking down. A stitch in time saves nine, as they used to say, and the truck was fixed long before a much more serious problem would have developed.

In the case of the truck the analysis actually saved (and continues to save) me quite a bit of money in another way too. I was doing oil and filter changes in my truck at 5,000 mile intervals per the Owner's manual. Blackstone first suggested I could increase that to 7,500 and later 10,000 miles. The level of contamination of my oil did not warrant oil changes more frequently that that. That may not sound like much but a Ford Diesel requires 16 quarts of oil for a change and it has a filter about the size of a wheelbarrow. Even if you do you own changes, which I have always done, the cost of an oil change for one of the things is substantial and increasing the interval saves significant cash.

Anyway my point in posting this, and something the both of you reinforced quite nicely, was to inform fellow members that this service was available, that it was inexpensive, and that the information received is well worth the cost.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
In the paperwork that Blackstone gives you, they have "normal" readings and the readings from your car. They do take into account your location as well.

E30Cabrio had his done and they found silica in his oil - which they said is normal for a desert location and it wasn't a whole lot anyway.

Ive got a bottle here from them but Im too lazy to do it. Next oil change though, I will send it in.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Seems like a waste of money. Millions of cars on the road that run forever with no need to ever have their fluids tested. Sure it's cool to get the breakdown but by no means anywhere close to necessary. That's like saying you have to have blood tests every couple months or monthly credit reports.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Once a year never hurt. And when you have a built engine that sees more stress then the usual Camry or Accord on the road, oil analysis' are good. And it's only $25, which if you have an issue that you cannot see, can save you money down the road.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 10-04-2011 at 12:35 PM.