Hail Damage, to Fix or not to Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 AM
jen
One Lucky Lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hail Damage, to Fix or not to Fix?

My husband and I can't agree. I have hail damage all over my CL. I had contemplated selling it before the hail damage. So, tell me what you guys think.

Should we:

A. Sell the car for a discounted price and apply that money along with the hail check to the loan. (he says)

or

B. Fix the car because it will be absolutely MINT, no joke, and sell it for a good price. (I say)

The hail damage is pretty extensive, one of the most highest checks written out so far for my town.

I still have to pay money to get the car repaired, I plan to replace the windowshield (two very very minor rock chips) and both front ( small crack on the very bottom of the bumper) and rear bumper (bubble in the bumper from being tapped, but the paint didn't spider). So if I was to get the car repaired, it would no doubt look like brand new. My husband thinks we could possibly make more money in the end, if we sold it damaged. On KBB, if i sold the car in "Fair condition" I could get $12,5K for it. If it was excellent, I could get 15K. So that is a difference of $2.5K My insurance check minus my deductable was $3.9K and I would have to spend an additional $1.5K if i was to replace both front and rear bumpers, and the windowshield. This price including paint, labor, etc.. The car only had very minor damage to each bumper before the hail damage. The car didn't even have a single door ding. No joke. The car has all so been serviced, no tranny problems, and every warrenty issue and been fixed or replaced. Car has almost 65,000.

So, if i sold the car with hail damage for 12.5K and added my 3.9K that would equal $16.4K towards paying off my loan.

Or, I could fix it completely and TRY to sell it for $15K. Which I quess would really mean I was making only $13.5K for it since I had to invest $1.5K of my own money. I'm starting to see my husband point. What do you guys think?

Jen
Old 03-22-2006, 09:14 AM
jen
One Lucky Lady

By the way tomorrow is my 21st BDAY.

Okay, very random, i know.

i'm sorry. i just can't help it.

jen
Old 03-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Ok, here's what you do... (as long as the paint isn't in bad shape from the hail-what color is the car?)

1.) Leave the windshield alone. A little chip won't be worth it, you'll never see any gains from it.

2.) Take the car and get a "paintless dent repair" estimate. More than likely, you'll save $,$$$.$$'s on that.

If you get the car repaird that way, the car won't be considered a "repaint". Buyers are scared of repaints because there is no way to be sure the car was not involved in a severe accident causing the car to be repainted. Repaints will ALWAYS reduce the value of your car unless it's a beater or a classic of some sort. Sorry but the CL is neither.

3.) If the bumbers are really noticable, then have those fixed either by a body shop or have a touch up up guy look at it. See if he can do anything with it. I used to know a guy that did some airbrush touch up and it looked perfect and he was cheap.

If you have the car completely fixed by a body shop, you will never get your money back out of it.

Oh, and happy birthday!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
derr, what he said. happy birthday. insurance will go down more too now that you can drink.