H&R's or Comptech Springs, that is the ques.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
H&R's or Comptech Springs, that is the ques.

if I'm looking for a comfortable ride quality and stock smoothness, would i go with comptech springs or h&r stage 2 drop(1.75" front, 1.5"back)? I had the comptech's installed and the ride was kinda harsh, but they were used when i bought them. Should I just buy brand new one's and get them installed at PAA, or get the H&R's installed at PAA? anybody help, I am in need of a smooth ride with the droped look.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harsh??? Comptech sport springs harsh?! With stock shocks even??

Pussy! :P

I really don't know what else to say because I didn't find the CT springs harsh new or after 14k on them, so I dunno that getting new ones would change their ride quality. If anything springs tend to get looser over time so getting new ones would just be stiffer aka "more harsh" and you don't want that, right?

I'm pretty sure H&R sport springs are at least as stiff as the Comptechs so maybe you should just stick with stock suspension if you find the Comptechs so harsh.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
sorry rondog, but the comptech springs offer the best ride quality imo. and getting new ones is not likely to change anything either. your car is never gonna have the stock cushy ride when it's lowered. you have to be willing to make some sacrifice, or else live /w a 4x4 stance.

i suggest you get some koni sports or tokiko illuminas, that would be money better spent.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:44 AM
Mugen Racing Team

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about comptech, i went Eibach before and didn't like it and changed to HR Sport and look it now, give a car a perfect drop, doesn't rub or go into fender about alittle over 1inch wheel gap around so it looks like the head it tilted down looks sweet to me.

Old 05-28-2002, 01:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I don't really mean harsh, but I have a few new rattles and a few new suspension noises, so I want to get brand new springs and install them at the dealer so that my car will ride a bit quieter. I just wanted to start fresh with some brand new springs with the isolaters and a preffessional install with a warranty covered by the dealer. Does anybody have any suspension noises after installing springs at the dealer?
Old 05-28-2002, 04:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
if you don't have the rubber isolaters, that's your problem. and they don't come w/ the springs either. get them from the dealer and have them put them in.

rondog, getting new springs is a waste of your time and money, unless yours' are somehow damaged.

spend your $ on struts man.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:44 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Rondog...

I just did my own coilover install over the weekend. There are absolutely no noises at all and the ride comfort has not been sacrificed as I have the struts set at a medium-soft setting.

Like the others are suggesting here, I would go w/ Koni Yellows and set them to their softest setting. I personally don't have any experience w/ them but I can't imagine it would be too much stiffer than the OEM struts.

chikai
Old 05-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Old timer

Any noise with comptech springs is most likely the isolators or something, not the springs themselves but where they connect to the car. Just have the suspension re-greased or whatever. You gotta accept a little noise if you go modding your suspension. If it's a lot of noise, it wasn't installed with the proper lube. Getting a new set of springs isn't going to change the noise.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i recently (3 weeks ago) had comptech springs installed and i had the installer put the rubber sleeves from the factory front springs on the comptech springs...ive had NO new rattles and NO suspension noises at all...also, the ride doesnt seem much different at all, just around turns when it hugs better