H&R OE springs installed- pics of results

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2001, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H&R OE springs installed- pics of results

It's a beautiful thing when a project turns out exactly as initially envisioned. I finished the install on my springs the other night and I'm very pleased with the results. The drop was just a little over an inch but the car rides *so* much better now. No more floaty feel. The install itself was very straightforward. Just follow the step-by-step instructions in the Helm's manual and do a lot of wrench twisting. The most frustrating part was getting the back seats out. Everything else was just wrenching. I'm not a mechanic but I did read a little on the install and it seemed easy and in reality, it is (as long as you've got the time, the right tools and the Helm's manual). The drop was an even 1 1/16" on three corners while the left rear is about a 1/4" lower. Things are still settling into place though. Removing the rear deck also allowed me to tint over the annoying third brake, since the spoiler took over for that function. Here are some more pics of the results and of the install:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12731896&f=0

Old 04-27-2001, 03:56 PM
watch the weather change

Location: Houston, TX - Uhhh, now what y'all know bout them Texas boys, Comin down in candied toys, smokin wee
looks nice ... man i wish i had some money to kill...

------------------
2001 CL Type S w/ navi and factory spoiler
cltypes.com - soon...
Old 04-27-2001, 04:01 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Man, it looks great...I love the look...

Must have been a hell of a job to do...when I see seats and rear decks coming out, I start to worry

How much do the springs go for?

------------------
RUVZ
01' 3.2CL Type S - Satin Silver - Polarg M6 roadlamps
Old 04-27-2001, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Very nice... I look forward to seeing them in person tomorrow!!

Where'd you take those mountain shots??
Old 04-27-2001, 04:06 PM
acurreo

Nice!! Very nice.

Good thing that you did it yourself. Its a good feeling isn't it, after you done.

Its a simple precedure. I remember some guy broke his toe, or foot when changing the springs. His car was on the hoist and he was trying to get the stock spring to pop out. He did not realize that even though the wheels were off the ground, there's still quite a bit pressure on the spring. So he was playing around with a flat screw driver to get it to pop out. Then it just suddenly poped out! All that force just released and landed on this foot. Man!, that is gotta hurt!

------------------
Confused Individual
Old 04-27-2001, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ruvz:
Man, it looks great...I love the look...

Must have been a hell of a job to do...when I see seats and rear decks coming out, I start to worry

How much do the springs go for?

</font>
Thanks! I got the springs for $170 but I had to wait nearly three weeks to get them since the place had to order them.

The seats will be coming come out, if you're getting springs. Rear deck doesn't really need to but I wanted to tint the brake light. I figured that if I do it, I can take my time with things.
Old 04-27-2001, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
Very nice... I look forward to seeing them in person tomorrow!!

Where'd you take those mountain shots??
</font>
That's the upper lot at Squaw Peak. Got a nice hike in after those pics!
Old 04-27-2001, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by majeed:
Nice!! Very nice.

Good thing that you did it yourself. Its a good feeling isn't it, after you done.

Its a simple precedure. I remember some guy broke his toe, or foot when changing the springs. His car was on the hoist and he was trying to get the stock spring to pop out. He did not realize that even though the wheels were off the ground, there's still quite a bit pressure on the spring. So he was playing around with a flat screw driver to get it to pop out. Then it just suddenly poped out! All that force just released and landed on this foot. Man!, that is gotta hurt!

</font>
It really is a good feeling (since everything went smoothly ). Gives me a more "intimate" feel for the car.

That guy is lucky he only broke his toe since those front springs pack so much force that they literally could kill you if you're hit squarely. Yikes!!! Gotta be careful.
Old 04-27-2001, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
nice hahah ,,, we have the same spring now... oh by the way there is 1 inch gap right now, u will not see the gap anymmore after a few month =)
its very nice of u installed urself... but i suggest u to go to some shop and check ur shocks and etc and aligment.
cuz if it s not dropped professionally, u might messed up the front end.. shocks and etc...
just a suggestion, if u dont want to.. it s fine for now.
Old 04-27-2001, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oonowindoo:
nice hahah ,,, we have the same spring now... oh by the way there is 1 inch gap right now, u will not see the gap anymmore after a few month =)
its very nice of u installed urself... but i suggest u to go to some shop and check ur shocks and etc and aligment.
cuz if it s not dropped professionally, u might messed up the front end.. shocks and etc...
just a suggestion, if u dont want to.. it s fine for now.
</font>
You have the OE's (level 1)? or the Sports (level 2)?? The Sports drop it more- comparable to Eibach's ProKit.

Not sure what "dropped professionally" would entail that I didn't do... I just followed the Helm's manual, as I'm sure anybody that was being paid would do also. Everything was torqued to factory specs. I will get an alignment in a couple weeks after things settle more.
Old 04-27-2001, 04:52 PM
Drifting

tinman -- Nice job!

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
Red CL-S, non-Nav, 35% tint, M6 driving lights, M4 map and door lights
Old 04-27-2001, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by empeters:
tinman -- Nice job!

</font>
Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2001, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Tinman,

Why is one side lower then the rest? Does that cause any other issues? Do you have a pic of how the back looks without the brake light?

Thanks,

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 04-27-2001, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Tinman,

Why is one side lower then the rest? Does that cause any other issues? Do you have a pic of how the back looks without the brake light?

Thanks,

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 04-27-2001, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comment:

The weight on the various areas of a car are different. Does the car have any mods?

Some of the spring kits come with one spring for each "wheel". If the spring rate is just a tiny bit off, it wouldn't be to hard to image that the "gaps" for the wheels are going to be different.

Is this a quality control issue from the manufacturer *or* is this a problem with different cars having:

1. Different amounts of gas in them. The rear will change with differing amounts of gas.

2. Differing mods to the car. Is there a "Kicker" system or amps in the back.

3. Stuff in the truck

on, and on....

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Drifting

Great job, I vote that goes in the garage section!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs, Exhaust, Headers
AEM CAI, Pulleys
Denso Spark Plugs
Apexi V-AFC
Old 04-27-2001, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Spiro:
I measured the car before lowering and one corner was a 1/8" different height than the others then. Things are still fresh and settling into place so I'm not worried about a 1/4" difference right now. If the height is still different after a few weeks of driving, I'll look into more.

The brake light is still there; I just tinted over the area that wasn't tinted before. You can't see it now. There is a good picture of what it looks like at the link above the original picture (along with all the gory install pictures).

EricL:
The only mod I've done is to remove the resonator below the air filter. Everything is stock besides that.

According to the Helm's manual, there is a difference in the stock springs between the left and right sides. I called H&R before installing and they said there is no difference (left to right) in their springs. The trunk is empty.

The drop level has already changed in the 150 miles I've put on them. Things are leveling out. The difference was actually even more right after the very first drive so I'm going to give them a few more weeks to "season" and settle into place.

WebToker:
Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2001, 06:23 PM
Drifting

tinman,

Thanks!! These might be the springs I will look into buying.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps

[This message has been edited by spiroh (edited 04-27-2001).]
Old 04-27-2001, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

looks real sweet. must handle nice.
do you have a part number for those springs?
thanks
Old 04-27-2001, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the ride looks sweet. Most of the lowering springs I've bought "settled" a bit, the better ones only settled 1/8" - 1/4".

If you every need to "show" the car and are real fussy, just get a fat chick to sit on the side that is a little bit high

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-27-2001, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
good jon tinman worth the wait my order is in

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 04-27-2001, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

cl-driver:
The part # is 51858-55. It's listed for the TL and the Accord. The handling is so much improved that I feel it should be a factory option.

EricL:
Very good point! The car won't be entered into car shows so I don't really car if one corner is a just a *bit* lower than the others. My Mustang with Eibachs is the same way. I hardly notice it but I am watching it since the springs are new. Somebody who didn't know wouldn't even see it. I'll find out at the meet tomorrow. If it really bothers me, I can try your suggestion (how about two skinny ones instead? ).

typeR:
Well, after all the weeks of your searching, I'm glad you finally settled on your pick. Let me know if I can help with any questions once you get them.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:48 PM
Honkey

That looks really nice. Job well done. Nothing like the satisfaction of doing something yourself.

-Aaron

------------------
2001 CL-P, new project undergoing complete reconstruction. As of now: Custom CAI fabricated by SRD, Polarg M6 bulbs, 4 ProHopper Chrome hydraulic pumps with whammy tanks, 4 ProHopper dumps, 4 Optima marine deep-cycle batteries, 4 switches. Much much more to come...

1997 Accord coupe EX-L. Chrome suspension, Chrome motor, every bolt-on imaginable. One pump, 8 dump hydraulics with accumulators. Leather, Billet grills, 18" Neeper Shadows...etc..etc http://www.artofnoize.com/Cars/aaron.htm

1990 Toyota standard cab. Bodydropped 3". 17" KMC Nemesis', extensive suspension work. 4 wheel airbags.
Old 04-27-2001, 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Aaron:
Thanks. You're right, it feels good to see the results after all the sweat that went into it.
Old 04-28-2001, 01:28 AM
Intermediate

tinman,
i've been thinking about getting these springs as well!
however, i know that the comptech springs cause a little bouncing b/c the shocks can't dampen them as well. do the H&R's cause any bouncing over little dips/bumps? thanks!
BTW, why didn't you get the comptech's?

------------------
-Silver CL-S, non-navi (shoulda got it!)
-Comptech headers
-Comptech sways
-K&N drop-in filter
-Polarg M6 road lamps
-14% tint all around
-Viper alarm with Car Starter

Check out my sold 98 Honda Prelude:
www.hondaprelude.com/setups/setupsdsply.asp?id=5644&gen=5&orderby=
Old 04-28-2001, 06:33 AM
Burning Brakes

I have Eibach Pro-Kits in my Mustang and I'm familiar with the bouncing from that setup. I notice none of that with these springs. I should let somebody who has Comptech springs drive my car to get their opinion though.

I've heard good things about H&R previously. I'm open to try new things, I figured why not try them? As cheap as they were, I'd just chalk it up to experience if they didn't work out. Luckily, I really like them!
Old 04-28-2001, 01:54 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Word of caution to all of you considering spring installation and doing the work yourself!!! I think it is cool that some of you are doing this yourselves however please by all means respect the springs they can and will kill you if you do not use the proper tools to change them.Some years back I worked for a Mercedes Benz dealer that also had a bodyshop.One day one of the guys in the bodyshop had reason to remove the front springs from a Benz that needed some suspension parts replaced.He removed the spring using the proper tools and was fully trained in suspension work.After he used the tool to remove the spring he put the tool with the coil spring on the ground.He had not done anything wrong,suddenly the spring compressor violently exploded due to a failed shaft on it.The spring with all of it's energy shot off the compressor with a loud pop.After it was all said and done we found part of the compressor lodged on a wall the coil spring and the other half of the compressor were found outside in the parking lot.Needless to say the spring contained enough energy to bore a foot wide hole clean through a cement block wall.Noone was hurt but the experience left all of us with a much greater respect for the coil springs in cars.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on