H.I.D. question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H.I.D. question?

I know from your posts that some of you are also bike enthusiasts, what I'd like to know is if your motorcycle is equipped with H.I.D.'s. I know several manufacturers are now offering this as an option on some of their bikes, I think it's a great idea, if nothing else, it may get you noticed by more drivers, that and scare the shit out of small animals...

Can the same benfits transfer over to two wheeled transportation?

The reason why I'm asking is that there was an article in American Motorcyclist several months ago detailing the negatives of H.I.D. headlamps on motorcycles. Now, I can't even recall the gist of it. But if H.I.D.'s are so good in cars why wouldn't they be great on our bikes too?

The only negative thing I can think of off the top of my head is that other drivers would get irritated from the glare. Otherthan that I can't think of anything else. I'm having a dissussion about this on another msg board and could use some help here, thanks.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:21 PM
the last one alive

I can't think of any drawbacks on a bike. I don't think they take draw more power than normal lights. But what would suck is replacing your HIDs after a crash. Ouch, that's $$.

My headlights suck on my ZX6. I'd get the HIDs if I could. The better you're seen, the less likely you'll get squished.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, H.I.D.'s have approximately 1/3 of the power drain that conventional light systems use. You raise a very good point about the cost value of replacement. Brighter lights are like loud pipes, anything that gets you noticed in traffic when you're riding is a GOOD thing.