H@lp! Should I buy a 03 Acura CL Type S? <Need Advice>

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H@lp! Should I buy a 03 Acura CL Type S? <Need Advice>

I've been really looking at a clean Acura CL Type S.

Its a Dark Grey w/Ebony Leather Seats. The car is original and clean inside and out. The vehicle has a complete Carfax and all scheduled maintenance records done at the dealer.

The car has been garaged kept from day one. The car was loved and cared for.

The car has 92,860 miles as of today. The car drives very smooth and quiet. He had it taken to the Acura dealer to get a complete check.

Acura stated it needs the following done on it.

1. Leaking Water Pump
2. Oil Pan Gasket Leaking
3. Driver Belt Tensioner Needs Replacing
4. Timing Belt Needs Replacing
5. Adjust Valves
6. Sparks Plug Needs Changing

I can do some of the things above as I've worked on Hondas and Toyotas before. However, is some of that service above expensive?

Its not a big deal above as thats normal wear and tear. However, if there is something above thats very expensive. Let me know.

My main concern is.
I drove the car in the city and on the freeway to test it. The cars transmission runs so smooth. I've been reading online on most forums state the transmission issue.

I want to buy this car as I've always loved it but I can't afford a new transmission. Its passed the 7 years now. So Acura is out of the loop on the extended warranty.

I'm thrown off by how many guys have the Tranny issue. What can I do?

Can I take it to Acura to have it looked at? Anything?

Change it to the Honda AFT fluid every 10-15k?

I'm so torn and sad right now.

Please help a new member out and hopefully be apart of this great forum. Thanks in Advance!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
umm, well to answer the expense, it is gonna cost around 1200-1500 to get all of that done at the honda/acura dealership and about 300 if you do it yourself pending you are good at it.

the autos are okay if well maintained, but not the prize to get as the 6spd as far as reliability goes.
if its in good shape, then the price is the only unknown to us, and that would have to be shared for us to give the best advice...since all of that work is needed, i wouldnt pay more than 7500 for it
Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 PM
10th Gear

^Thanks for the kind advice.

I can do a lot of work on the vehicle and I'm pretty good at following directions.

I'm offering 7K for the car and it looks Like New inside and Out.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Automatic transmission? The answer is NO if you can't afford a new tranny. If you can afford a new one (of later reliable make) and have access to a backup car for when the CL is down than maybe. Life is a gamble, but why stack the deck against yourself w/ buying a strongly known tendency for unreliability?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
Basically, you're looking at a regular 105k maintenance. That's expensive, but it has to be done eventually.

The main concerns are:
-Transmission
-Oil Pan (wtf)

The oil pain gasket is gonna be some labor. I remember a thread about a member trying to replace it. It wasn't fun, and I wouldn't recommend you to DIY. I would get an estimate on that before buying the car. Nothing you do can prevent the tranny from dying. If it wants to die, it's going to die. Ask if it has the newer Post Feb 2005 transmission case design. If it doesn't, be prepared to spend ~3k on a new transmission. Even if it is the new case design, the tranny still might fail. It's just less likely to.

However, if the transmission was replaced before 2005, or is an original transmission, I wouldn't buy the car. It will auto suicide guaranteed.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM
10th Gear

^ You're right. I was all the way in for this CL until I review and found about the Transmission issue. Thats the hard part. I really spent a long time looking and searching for the right CL Type S. Now that I've found one.

Its hard to walk away from this car but you're right. Its better to walk away now and not be out 3-4K on a new Transmission.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Why not get a 6MT? They're harder to find than bin Laden, but they avoid the transmission issue, and are presumably more fun to drive. Good luck with your search
Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 PM
10th Gear

Thanks so much for the advice guys. . .

I just need to find out about the transmission more. Like most of you have said. This CL is a complete Huge Gamble.

I do have another vehicle but I can't justify spending more money on fixing this daily driver.

My other vehicle will be a weekend Off-Road Beast. So I have to save $$$ for it. I can't have 2 money pits.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Aman
Why not get a 6MT? They're harder to find than bin Laden, but they avoid the transmission issue, and are presumably more fun to drive. Good luck with your search

My girl will need to be able to drive the car also. I'd love to get a 6MT as thats what I came from but she can't drive stick shift. No, she can't learn as she needs to just focus on driving and making it home safe.

Trust me. I'd want a Type S 6MT. I came from a 6MT Accord 7th Gen Coupe and those too are hard to find. Those however had issues.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 PM
10th Gear

I searched some more on this forum and one of the stickies state the effected ones are as stated by Acura from VIN#

The Vin Numbers state from Acura on Tranny Issues are. . .

2003 3.2CL (all models):
From VIN 19UYA42…3A000001 thru 19UYA42…3A005203

My VIN ends with 6489.
So its not the included effected ones. Does that mean this TYPE S is safe or its going to happen anyways.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Rad
I searched some more on this forum and one of the stickies state the effected ones are as stated by Acura from VIN#

The Vin Numbers state from Acura on Tranny Issues are. . .

2003 3.2CL (all models):
From VIN 19UYA42…3A000001 thru 19UYA42…3A005203

My VIN ends with 6489.
So its not the included effected ones. Does that mean this TYPE S is safe or its going to happen anyways.
The VIN number stuff is BS. ALL automatic transmissions have the issue and all will eventually fail. 92k is pretty high mileage for that price too even if the car is mint otherwise plus the 105k service that needs to be done should knock some off that price too.

When I looked at CL-S', I saw the automatic transmission issues and there was no way I'd buy one. I had to get a 6-speed MT or nothing. Read through this forum and you'll see people with multiple transmission rebuilds or replacements. One guy went through 3 in under 10k miles. Don't let the dealer tell you that they've resolved the issues or have made changes so it will no longer happen, as many others here can tell you, nothing has changed.

That tranny goes out and you're looking at $2000 or more to have it rebuilt. I'd look at another car if a manual transmission is out of the question.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM
10th Gear

^* * * SIGH * * *

So Sad. I will be calling the owner (Such nice people) and advise them I will not be buying it.

I'm so bummed but its for the best.

Thanks everyone who took their time to help.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,460 Likes on 4,980 Posts
Originally Posted by Karanx7
The oil pain gasket is gonna be some labor. I remember a thread about a member trying to replace it. It wasn't fun, and I wouldn't recommend you to DIY. I would get an estimate on that before buying the car. Nothing you do can prevent the tranny from dying. If it wants to die, it's going to die. Ask if it has the newer Post Feb 2005 transmission case design. If it doesn't, be prepared to spend ~3k on a new transmission. Even if it is the new case design, the tranny still might fail. It's just less likely to.
We technically dont have an oil pan gasket. They use Hondabond (or any other sealant you spread out of a tube.

As far as walking away from this car, good choice. The auto trannies are time bombs.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 AM
zac
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
The automatics are not reliable! Good choice to walk away

Too bad you couldnt get the 6speed.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
10th Gear

It was a hard phone call to do but I felt it was right.

It was love at first sight with the car to be honest. Inside and Out. Its so sad the owner had taken so well care of it to only have a Flaw caused by Acura's poor design.

The family had babied it from day one and it showed. . .

* * SIGH * *

Thank you guys for everything. These kind of forums are what makes car buying much easier. I couldn't imagine how they did it before.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an automatic, but he just replaced the tranny. Woo! It's a lot of fun, and I am sad that you can't join us in the CL fun. It's a great car, and it has it's flaws, but the V6 power totally makes up for it

EDIT: He being the previous owner.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Elephant in the room.