Good recommendation on lawyer in Houston to get out of a speeding tick..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good recommendation on lawyer in Houston to get out of a speeding tick..

Just got a ticket today, she quoted 16 over and I believe the limit for defensive driving was 15 or under (81 in a 65). Can anyone recommend a good lawyer to contact to help me get out of this situation?

Damn, it's been two years since my last ticket (everyone watch out, it is the end of the month!), didn't need it today but it happened. Now I just need a way to resolve it, so I would greatly appreciate a PM me on someone who will be able to resolve this.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can still take defensive driving course as long as you are 25mph or under. I got a ticket last month too.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:18 AM
Banned

Why spend all that $$ on a lawyer? Just pay the ticket, and go to driving school. Way cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,220 Likes on 3,668 Posts
Old 10-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Katana18
Why spend all that $$ on a lawyer? Just pay the ticket, and go to driving school. Way cheaper in the long run.
Katan18,
How do you figure?? I would love to take a defensive driving class, but I was figuring it was 15 and under the posted speed limit. I'd ratehr have a lawyer get me off (if I can't take defensive driving) and pay the fine and have it on the sparkling clean record that I have (+ the damn points that Texas started implementing)

Mike,
Thanks for the info, I thought it was 15=< to be eligible for defensive driving, and I thought if you were doing 25+ they would haul your ass to jail . EIther way everyone watch out, it is the end of the month so those quotas are coming into play
Old 10-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Retired. Not available.

Johnny,
read your damned ticket, bro
Old 10-25-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

...and now Texas uses the points system.

RIDICULOUS!
Old 10-25-2003, 10:22 AM
-S namyaC-

You guys need to move to TN! I got caught doing 91 in a 55 (first ticket ever too!). +36 over at 1pm, just a ticket - went to court - def driving (which was a joke anyway). No points or anything.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Re: Good recommendation on lawyer in Houston to get out of a speeding tick..

Originally posted by JSuppi
Just got a ticket today, she quoted 16 over and I believe the limit for defensive driving was 15 or under (81 in a 65). Can anyone recommend a good lawyer to contact to help me get out of this situation?

Damn, it's been two years since my last ticket (everyone watch out, it is the end of the month!), didn't need it today but it happened. Now I just need a way to resolve it, so I would greatly appreciate a PM me on someone who will be able to resolve this.

I sent a PM before I read the entire post. Anything over 24mph OVER the speed limit is the cut off for D.D. If your at 16 over you have nothing to worry about, just go to court clerk and tell you want to take D.D.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In Texas if you are above 20-25MPH your are not allowed to take defensive driving. Also, that is to the discretion of the court judge.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Need more pwr!

In TX the limit was previously 25mph and under you would qualify for DD. Now the rules have changed since we've moved to the point system. I heard the court is becoming more lenient with 100+mph tickets. Depends on where you where caught (Interstate / City Street). The faster you go the more you pay of course, and that's what the powers that be care about anyway.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Don't know about other states, but in NJ, if you go to court, they will usually plea bargain any speeding ticket:

If it is a 2 point ticket (< 15 over the speed limit), they will reduce to a zero point violation with a higher fine

If it is a 4 point ticket ( > 14 < 30 over the limit), they will reduce to a 2 point speeding with a higher fine

If it is a 5 point ticket ( > 30 over the limit), it depends....sometimes a 2 pointer, sometimes a 4 pointer. I had one of these once and got it dropped to a 2 point "careless driving" offense.

In NJ courts, it is usually an all day thing....you go in and wait...the judge does all the Guilty pleas first...then they break and have people wait to meet with the prosecuter who will try to get you to plead guilty to a lesser offense.....if you are unwilling to plea bargain, you then have to get rescheduled and come back on another day for them to hear your case......most people end up doing the plea bargain....it is their way of speeding up the process, get more money from you, and give you a bit of an insurance break at the same time.

In my case of the 5 point ticket, a cop wrote me for 69 in a 35.....it was a totally bogus ticket....he didn't even have me on radar....he saw that I had a radar detector and said that since I obviously speed all the time, he was writing me a ticket. He picked 34 over the limit because in NJ, you can just pay a fine if it is up to 34 over without going to court. If it is 35 or above, you MUST show up to court (and so does the cop), and there is much more involved.

I was going to fight it until the end, but after taking off of work without pay for 2 different days and still not getting my case heard, I didn't want to take another day off....so I just plead it down to the 2 point ticket and paid the higher fine.