God Damn USAA Insurance!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God Damn USAA Insurance!

Dammit!

USAA is trying to screw my family over. My Mom has been a member since she was 16 (she now is 42) and now my brother (16) and I (17) are on her policy for 2 cars. We have been on the policy for about 1/2 year. But us kids are not part of this problem!

Out of the blue, we get a letter from USAA today that they are CANCELING us! WHAT THE FUCK! They claim that since my MOM has had 1 at-fault accident (backed up into a car at night 1.5 yrs. ago), and 2 moving violations: Illegal left turn during a certain time of day, its a cash-pot for the city - happened 2 years ago and ran a BLINKING red light at 2AM a year ago, another cash-pot!

They claim that if a person has one at-fault accident and 2 moving violations (which we specifically have) in a 3 year period, we are TOO RISKY for the company! They say it is to be FAIR to the other members ?!?!?

But here's the fucking kicker. They say that if WE PAY approx. $2200, us KIDS can stay on, but MOM has to sign she is NOT covered on either vehicle! They are only keeping us KIDS (who have only been on the policy for less than a year) paying a shitload of insurance and screw MOM who has been on the policy her whole life!

I don't understand this bullshit. When she had the accident and violations HER PREMIUM skyrocketed (not to mention her insurance doubled when she traded in a minivan for a Toyota Solara!) so how is she still a risk? Another interesting thing is that the amount they want us to pay to stay on ($2200) is within a few cents of the amount of my car's (CL-S) premium!

We are not sure what we can do about staying on/complaing, but we are looking into other insurance companies. Is there anything we can do? USAA are a bunch of fucking gangsters! They have gotten sued a number of times by states for their practices. Do you guys suggest any other insurance company to change to (such as GEICO, Progressive...)? Thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Go with GEICO!
Old 02-05-2003, 05:14 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
This is pretty standard stuff in the insurance biz... They love taking your premiums for years and years until your loss ratio or underwriting critera changes.

I'm not familar with the laws in Maryland. However, in Jersey, your mom would be considered a high-risk driver with one at-fault accident and two moving violations within the past three years. She would most likey be denied regular voluntary market insurance and placed in the State's assigned risk market for non-standard drivers.

Check with a local independent insurance agent... Go with another insurance company.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:37 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by IntegraVT
This is pretty standard stuff in the insurance biz... They love taking your premiums for years and years until your loss ratio or underwriting critera changes.

I'm not familar with the laws in Maryland. However, in Jersey, your mom would be considered a high-risk driver with one at-fault accident and two moving violations within the past three years. She would most likey be denied regular voluntary market insurance and placed in the State's assigned risk market for non-standard drivers.

Check with a local independent insurance agent... Go with another insurance company.
Yeah, what he said. I too have USAA Insurance. I have been with them for 26 years. I have filed a few claims with them and never had a problem. As far as I am concerned you cannot get better auto insurance.

I am sorry to hear that your family has had problems. That's the way the insurance business is these days. When I was on active duty in the USMC, I only heard of one person who was cancelled. He got a DWI and totaled three (3) Corvetts in a three year period. He was not surprised.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Most lower cost insurance companies will not touch a high risk driver. I'm with Erie. It takes 2 years for an at-falt accident to go off the record. I'm suprised the 2-year moving violation is still on her record. Erie can cancel me if I get caught doing +15 over the speed limit (high-risk). I would try another company for 6 months to a year. Maybe GEICO. Then go to Erie or even back to UUSA

Insurance companies can suck, they are out to make $ like everyone else. After having my insurance go down last year, it went up $100 this year (with no claims or tickets, and my car is now 2 years old). If you don't like paying a lot, you can't do much except buy a vehicle that is cheap to insure.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:28 AM
www.drippinwet.com

state farm waives first ticket
Old 02-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
USAA is brutal. I hate those mother fuckers. My girlfreind has been with them for 10 years and they all of a sudden cancel her policy saying she didn't pay. They cashed her checks just fine. What a bunch of motherfuckers. They take a long time to process claims, or to even come out and see the damage for that reason. AND they are frickin expensive!! She was paying 2400 a year for a frickin 98 Honda Civic!! can you believe that shit? Switched her over to Allstate for like 900 a year. What a bunch of assholes.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
running a blinking red light is pretty serious shit my mom almost got killed that way.

I have USAA i pay a little over 2700/yr
Old 02-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Instructor

I have USAA insurance. been with them for 3 years. I have 3 cars. a 01 CL-S, 99 Civic SI, amd a 93 Civic SI.........(Full Coverage)all for 130 bucks a month...thats with 2 speeding tickets. I never had a problem with them.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Advanced

damn that sucks. i've been with USAA since like 97 and i've never had any problems with them. since i've been with them, i've been in like 6 or 7 accidents (only one my fault), had my license suspended twice (one for a racing conviction and the other for a DUI) and have gotten like 2 tickets. USAA has never dropped me or raised up my premium or anything. i recommend them to everyone i know. i don't know, maybe i've been lucky. but to me they're the best.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Banned

Re: God Damn USAA Insurance!

I love State Farm. It was rated the best recently. Lowest rates compared to everyone I have found.

Originally posted by AgentDSS
Dammit!

USAA is trying to screw my family over. My Mom has been a member since she was 16 (she now is 42) and now my brother (16) and I (17) are on her policy for 2 cars. We have been on the policy for about 1/2 year. But us kids are not part of this problem!

Out of the blue, we get a letter from USAA today that they are CANCELING us! WHAT THE FUCK! They claim that since my MOM has had 1 at-fault accident (backed up into a car at night 1.5 yrs. ago), and 2 moving violations: Illegal left turn during a certain time of day, its a cash-pot for the city - happened 2 years ago and ran a BLINKING red light at 2AM a year ago, another cash-pot!

They claim that if a person has one at-fault accident and 2 moving violations (which we specifically have) in a 3 year period, we are TOO RISKY for the company! They say it is to be FAIR to the other members ?!?!?

But here's the fucking kicker. They say that if WE PAY approx. $2200, us KIDS can stay on, but MOM has to sign she is NOT covered on either vehicle! They are only keeping us KIDS (who have only been on the policy for less than a year) paying a shitload of insurance and screw MOM who has been on the policy her whole life!

I don't understand this bullshit. When she had the accident and violations HER PREMIUM skyrocketed (not to mention her insurance doubled when she traded in a minivan for a Toyota Solara!) so how is she still a risk? Another interesting thing is that the amount they want us to pay to stay on ($2200) is within a few cents of the amount of my car's (CL-S) premium!

We are not sure what we can do about staying on/complaing, but we are looking into other insurance companies. Is there anything we can do? USAA are a bunch of fucking gangsters! They have gotten sued a number of times by states for their practices. Do you guys suggest any other insurance company to change to (such as GEICO, Progressive...)? Thanks
Old 02-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Slooo97CL
running a blinking red light is pretty serious shit my mom almost got killed that way.

I have State Farm and pay $1020 a year for my CL-S. Single 28. Full Covererage, 500/500
Old 02-05-2003, 11:32 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,955 Likes on 2,638 Posts
I have been with USAA for over 10 years and my parents have been with them for over 30 years. We have never had any problems with them. Sure you pay a little more, but its worth the coverage and care you get. Any accident, fender bender, totaled car, car break in i have had USAA was there to take care of it quickly and fairly. Sure you dont always agree on their numbers, but thats what you negotiate.

The problem you speak sounds standard practice as everyone else has already told you. I dont know what to say cept tough break. It takes 3 years for tickets and accidents to come off your record at USAA and then they have 5 year reviews regardless. I know cause i pay a pretty penny for all my past tickets and accidents. but its worth it, ive had to use them a lot and never had a problem.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Damn some of you pay some seriously crazy insurance rates. I paid $750/year to State Farm for my 2001 CL-S. Clean driving history and 30 years old. Once I get married my insurance should drop a bit again. We'll see how long I can hold off from that one. (thank goodness the woman doesn't read this forum. )
Old 02-05-2003, 12:17 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

that's too bad. Up until now I've only heard good stories about USAA. I guess recently they too are feeling the insurance crunch.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

State Farm rocks!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Advanced

USAA also runs a series of mutual funds.
I had a small IRA with them for a year - they reported the income on it to the IRS as taxable ! Refused to send a corrected 1099. Refused all the way the top since their computers could not handle it. This is done all the time in business. By hand if need be. Mistakes happen. Jerks. It was cheaper to pay the $200 tax and move my money away from them.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear that but that is different in our case. I was with her and there were ZERO cars around us at 2AM! My mom is not that bad of a driver, much better than many female drivers. She would not go through an intersection if cars are going by. The view of the the crossing cars is ENORMOUS for that intersection. All the previous 5 lights were blinking yellow and that 6th one was red blinking and she did not notice. This one BITCH of a female cop is ALWAYS there at the time of night to just catch people. My guess is that she and the person she catches are the only people within like a mile of the intersection at the time. (2am!)

Originally posted by Slooo97CL

Old 02-05-2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Bluto
[B]Most lower cost insurance companies will not touch a high risk driver. I'm with Erie. It takes 2 years for an at-falt accident to go off the record. I'm suprised the 2-year moving violation is still on her record. Erie can cancel me if I get caught doing +15 over the speed limit (high-risk). I would try another company for 6 months to a year. Maybe GEICO. Then go to Erie or even back to UUSA
B]
Actually my mom just got off the phone with USAA. They said that she could stay on the policy, but she would be paying TWICE her premium (around $4000/year!), which is MORE than I, a 17 yr. old with a license for less than 2 years!. She decided that she is going to goto another insurance company, but keep us on the policy, and possibily switch back to USAA after violations drop and if the quote is reasonable.

Our grandmother suggested we try State Farm. We are going to check out the quotes and stuff for them and GEICO and Progressive. Thanks for your responses guys.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by SwankCLS
Damn some of you pay some seriously crazy insurance rates. I paid $750/year to State Farm for my 2001 CL-S. Clean driving history and 30 years old...
$750/year, I wish I paid that much! Hopefully my rates will go down also if I go up to Gainesville for school. I pay aboout 3 times as much as you, but I am only 25.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Race Director

I've been with GEICO for over 15 years, you might want to try them.

I think we might have been missing the point here. The violations. All insurance companies have a written policy on how they handle violations. GEICO has a "forgiveness program" and they specifically tell you how they will handle your speeding tickets and accidents, right down to mph and $value.

So you should know when you are getting close to "getting in trouble" with the Company. The key is to "stop violating the law", keep the violations off your record, or be prepared to face the consequences. The violations you mentioned might seem "petty" but they are violations nonetheless. Here's what I do: I always plea-bargain or go to court or pay extra or do whatever I can to prevent the ticket from going on my record. People criticize me because I pay double the $150 (over $300) for a major speeding ticket to turn it into a parking ticket. Why? So I don't get that "priceless" cancellation letter.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Flat-4

If your insurance company is ripping you off, you have a lot choose from ... With StateFarm, I pay $1020/year for my 03 Type-S, and $840 for my wife's 02 Civic LX ...
Old 02-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Drifting

I have progressive, and so far, so good, but no claims from me, so that is not much help. NEVER, EVER BUY GEICO! They take 10% of your premium and buy radar detectors for police, so they can catch you speeding, then they increase your premium. Nice ruse.

Keep your credit rating in good order. The thinking at insurance companys these days is that if you are a poor credit risk (by not paying your credit card bills, or carrying a balance, is also that you are a risk behind the wheel. How's that for rationalizing?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by dfreder370
I have progressive, and so far, so good, but no claims from me, so that is not much help. NEVER, EVER BUY GEICO! They take 10% of your premium and buy radar detectors for police, so they can catch you speeding, then they increase your premium. Nice ruse.

Keep your credit rating in good order. The thinking at insurance companys these days is that if you are a poor credit risk (by not paying your credit card bills, or carrying a balance, is also that you are a risk behind the wheel. How's that for rationalizing?
Hehe, they don't do that anymore, they use to. Police departments don't need GEICO money for radars. If GEICO disappeared tomorrow, there would probably be more radars in cop cars. More GEICO customers do not equal more radars on the highways. No, if you can get good insurance with GEICO, do it. I don't care what they do with their money. State Farm is probably donating the same amount to Lukemia foundation...who cares as long as it's legal.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Still trolling

Hell, I pay 2400 a year for both cars together. Covering my wife and myself on the 99 3.0 CL and the 01 xTerra SE with Allstate in Dallas.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Still trolling

Originally posted by Rod
$750/year, I wish I paid that much! Hopefully my rates will go down also if I go up to Gainesville for school. I pay aboout 3 times as much as you, but I am only 25.
I grew up in the swamp
Old 02-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Ken: I stand corrected. Still, it was a despicable business practice, and is still probably a very good window into the soul of Geico.

However, when Geico was buying detectors in the late 90s, they would mail me to try to get me to change to them. They always included a postage paid envelope for their, hopefully filled out by me form for new insurance. I solved their nusance, non stop offerings by glueing their envelope to your average common house brick, which the postal service is legally bound to deliver.

I do not get any solicitations from GEICO anymore.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:11 PM
go like hell

On my 94 Accord I got full coverage(don't ask me why)(it has 270 k on it about) and i only pay around 1200 a year for it. that's through Grange. (in Ohio) and i have no points on my lisence.(knock on wood).
my soon to be wife has 4 points on her lisence and has a Ford Contour(which unless you get that one year's SVT contour it isn't as fast as an Accord)she has a plain Contour and her insurance is higher than mine as a girl. points mess you up man.

a word to the wise don't go through Indiana insurance they are fockers. I got hit by some old lady this last summer(she was found at fault) she had Indiana insurance my car was within less than 1000 bucks of totalling it and they wouldn't total it. Then it bent the rim(on the right front) so i wanted a new rim, no they go to a "salvage yard"(aka JUNK YARD ). I always grew up if you tear someone's stuff up fix it right. (so if i accidently broke it i bought them a new one) so they told me i can either put the parts they we're gonna provide( "refurbed" aka JUNKYARD PARTS ) or pay an extra 3 or 4 grand(which the car isn't worth) and put fresh parts on. I needed the car back fast so I allowed them to put refurbed parts on it. but it pissed me off.
then the claims adjuster guy like "how do you know it hasn't been wrecked before" (because i told him there was only 2 owners on that car)
"I said hey retard my mother bought the car new. I can name everyone who drove that car."(then he started getting all pissed off)

all in all I hate insurance companies they claim they fix shit back to where it was but they don't. for example i'm a firefighter. I check on people after fires see how things (in the claims are getting along) and life in general. (it's good PR).
One family for example he just bought a brand new big screen TV from Best Buy(just got it that week) house burnt to the ground of course with the TV. you know what they gave him for that TV.300 BUCKS. a week ago he paid $3000. I would have atleast wanted $2000. 300 bucks your lucky if you can get a new 27 inch alone like 54 or 60 inch. Insurance companies are the legal mofia.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,180 Likes on 3,649 Posts
USAA is rated #1 car insurance carrier in most states. You have no choice when they arbitrarily cancel you except to get another carrier. Avoid at all costs:
State Farm
Allstate
Progressive
NY Central Mutual
Provident Washington
Reliance

Other good picks: Farmers, Fireman's Fund, and Amica.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:29 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
USAA is rated #1 car insurance carrier in most states. You have no choice when they arbitrarily cancel you except to get another carrier. Avoid at all costs:
State Farm
Allstate
Progressive
NY Central Mutual
Provident Washington
Reliance

Other good picks: Farmers, Fireman's Fund, and Amica.
well from someone who works at a body shop, state farm is good, best rates on bikes, erie, allstate is also good, not sure where you get your information, and progressive is expensive, but handles claims quickly
Old 12-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Team Owner

02-07-2003, 08:10 PM

12-19-2004, 03:11 PM

Water-S…. Quit bumping ancient posts like this unless you have a good reason to do so.