Gear "Shutter"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear "Shutter"?

Recently I have noticed that when my auto transmission is shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, I feel a little bit of "shutter" or shake to whole car. The car kinda shakes a bit almost like a warped rotor stopping feel, but not quite as violent a shake. Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Bad tranny? That's what my car started doing before the transmission went bad. Be careful, the next symptom, if your tranny is going out, is spontaneous downshifting. I almost wrecked my car when it happened to me.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad tranny AND bad motor mounts is my guess.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Hmmmm....is it worth it to take to the dealer now, or do I have to wait till the tranny actually goes? I assume they will be able to see wear and replace it. How about the motor mounts? They covered by the extended factory warranty?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 PM
If He Dies...He Dies

Mine shutters sometimes when going from 3rd-4th. It happens when I've been driving for about 5-10mins
Old 07-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Mehoff, have you had it looked at?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:23 PM
If He Dies...He Dies

I have not had it looked at yet. It just started doing shuttering like a week ago.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:45 AM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bojangling
Hmmmm....is it worth it to take to the dealer now, or do I have to wait till the tranny actually goes? I assume they will be able to see wear and replace it. How about the motor mounts? They covered by the extended factory warranty?
I don't think the motor mounts are covered.

As far as the tranny, BEWARE: Recently Acura has taken a different posture over replacing transmissions. The first time I took my 2001 CL-S car in, The gear transitions were taking much longer and I was getting pretty poor gas mileage. Then it started shifting irratically, slipping and then grabbing into second or third gear. It never did throw a code or set off the VSA or check engine lights. I took it in anyway and my dealer replaced it on the spot without question, giving me an Acura loaner car to drive during the repair.

The SECOND time I brought it in with similar symptoms, I told them that the tranny fluid was completely cooked and the car was not shifting smoothly at all. Those same folks who happily took my business 35K miles ago are now claiming that even though the tranny fluid is a dark brown color (that also reeks like burnt metal) it is still operating under factory specs and since it isn't throwing any codes, they just can't do anything for me. They did not replace the tranny and sent me on my way.

15 days after that visit my tranny failed at 50 mph on a two lane highway in rush-hour traffic.

Naturally I had to have it towed to the dealer. But this time, the same dealer that just told me that my tranny was fine a few days is also trying to pawn-off an Enterprise rent-a-car to me instead of the customary Acura loaner. Now I'm pissed. I didn't accept the rent-a-car and had to demand the Acura car as promised when any certified used car is purchased through an Acura dealer. They reluctantly gave me the Acura loaner while they replaced my tranny AND torque converter. It was a very negative experience this time.

My advice to you is take your car in and see what they say. Thay may just take your business, or they may just send you on your way until the tranny actually fails. Chances are it's going to be the latter.

With that said, there is a 24 hour Acura-Care roadside assistance phone number that should be on your driver's side window- remember that, it came in handy for me. Acura will send a tow truck anywhere free of charge for you and tow the car to the nearest dealer as your tranny is covered under the extended 100K warranty.

What ever you do, if the VSA and check engine lights come on, find a shoulder and call a towtruck. A sudden downshift from 5th gear to 2nd at today's highway speeds isn't very fun at all.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cruz_msl
I don't think the motor mounts are covered.

As far as the tranny, BEWARE: Recently Acura has taken a different posture over replacing transmissions. The first time I took my 2001 CL-S car in, The gear transitions were taking much longer and I was getting pretty poor gas mileage. Then it started shifting irratically, slipping and then grabbing into second or third gear. It never did throw a code or set off the VSA or check engine lights. I took it in anyway and my dealer replaced it on the spot without question, giving me an Acura loaner car to drive during the repair.

The SECOND time I brought it in with similar symptoms, I told them that the tranny fluid was completely cooked and the car was not shifting smoothly at all. Those same folks who happily took my business 35K miles ago are now claiming that even though the tranny fluid is a dark brown color (that also reeks like burnt metal) it is still operating under factory specs and since it isn't throwing any codes, they just can't do anything for me. They did not replace the tranny and sent me on my way.

15 days after that visit my tranny failed at 50 mph on a two lane highway in rush-hour traffic.

Naturally I had to have it towed to the dealer. But this time, the same dealer that just told me that my tranny was fine a few days is also trying to pawn-off an Enterprise rent-a-car to me instead of the customary Acura loaner. Now I'm pissed. I didn't accept the rent-a-car and had to demand the Acura car as promised when any certified used car is purchased through an Acura dealer. They reluctantly gave me the Acura loaner while they replaced my tranny AND torque converter. It was a very negative experience this time.

My advice to you is take your car in and see what they say. Thay may just take your business, or they may just send you on your way until the tranny actually fails. Chances are it's going to be the latter.

With that said, there is a 24 hour Acura-Care roadside assistance phone number that should be on your driver's side window- remember that, it came in handy for me. Acura will send a tow truck anywhere free of charge for you and tow the car to the nearest dealer as your tranny is covered under the extended 100K warranty.

What ever you do, if the VSA and check engine lights come on, find a shoulder and call a towtruck. A sudden downshift from 5th gear to 2nd at today's highway speeds isn't very fun at all.

Good luck

Ughh, hope it doesn't come to that for me, but I appreciate the response. I guess the customer isn't ALWAYS right?!?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Anyone else have this problem?