Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 01:53 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasoline topic - again!

I received the following from Lexus in dealing with the 94 GS300 I used to own:
Here is a tech tip for your 1994 Lexus GS 300:

Premium Fuel Tech Tip
Over the years drivers have been lead to believe that premium fuel is better for a car's engine. This misnomer is costing a lot of drivers a pretty penny. For example, if
you drive an average of 15,000 miles a year and are using fuel that is one grade level above the manufacturers recommendation then you are wasting about $75 (that's 75 cups of coffee) a year. Check your owner's manual for the factory recommended fuel octane rating and use that grade fuel in future.

If you are interested, here are some technicalities supporting the above comment. The Octane rating defines a gasoline's anti knock quality, in other words the gasoline's resistance to pre-ignition. The higher the rating the greater the resistance to engine knock. A manufacturer recommends fuels that are compatible with the compression ratio and internal combustion design of an engine. These engine attributes vary with power
output and vehicle design. A performance car for example will need high-octane fuel to accommodate a high compression, which is necessary to obtain high performance.

This seems to fly in the face of other arguments or statements on this forum. Opinions??

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02

gto2050 - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 06-08-2001, 02:32 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our vehicles are designed to run most efficiently on high test. They will, however run on lesser grades without damage, but also with decreased performance. The engine control system incorporates a "knock sensor" that detects ping and retards the timing advance slowly till the ping disappears.This protects the enging from posible damage. The byproduct of reducing ingition advance is less performance- HP and torque drop off. Will you notice this- maybe, maybe not. On wide open throttle, racing- probably. I have driven these cars on regular fuel and can honestly say that unless you are flat out running hard, you probably won't notice a difference. Since we all have hig performance cars that we want the most out of, we ususally give them the best fuel. If you need to save a few bucks (for mods ) then use the more inexpensive grades.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinions expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 06-08-2001, 04:09 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Hmmmm.... so that's how I justfiy the mods.

------------------
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005

Old 06-08-2001, 07:48 PM
Meat Popsicle

You buy a 30K car, then modifiy it at extra cost, then worry about a 15 cents a gallon price difference?
Acura designed the engine, and they say 92 octane. Why doubt them?
Sounds like a false economy.
Free country.

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments
Old 06-08-2001, 08:09 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They say 92, but all they got around here is 87 89 93 and 94. So I put 93 in it all the time, hopefully this isn't bad for the engine.

------------------
2001 CL-S red, spoiler, mud guards, moon visor
Old 06-09-2001, 03:02 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:
Our vehicles are designed to run most efficiently on high test. They will, however run on lesser grades without damage, but also with decreased performance.... I have driven these cars on regular fuel and can honestly say that unless you are flat out running hard, you probably won't notice a difference. Since we all have hig performance cars that we want the most out of, we ususally give them the best fuel.
</font>
I agree with Wayne here ... I have run my CL-S on mid grade and it ran fine. However, when those times called for getting to the exit faster than the clown next to me, it sure was nice to have the 92 octane in the tank. There is a difference in performance, but when gas gets over $2.30 a gallon here in No. Cal. then I gotta think about the lower grade for a bit.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK, Comptech Sways coming soon
Lic: THX CBOE
Old 06-10-2001, 08:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The octane will affect the timing under certain conditions. These conditions are full load and high temps.

If it is very cold out, one could probably sneak by with some lower octane fuel.

I always come back for a punch in the nose here, but I have tried 5 trials with higher than recommended octane, and notice a slight performance boost with 96 or higher octane. This is full power run from stop test. The octane is based on 92 Octane in the tank, with 100 octane added in. In the sixth case, where I only added 2 gallons, I couldn't tell any difference AT ALL!

So, if you go to the drag strip -- go for the gold (the 100 octane I'm getting may just be superior gas [who knows]).

If it is cold out, or your going to run out of fuel (and they don't have the hi-test), use the mid pump, the knock sensor should adjust the timing. I tried that one time and it didn't seem to matter, but never tried that again (this kind of test is pretty worthless).

$0.02

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-10-2001, 02:52 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
I always come back for a punch in the nose here, $0.02

</font>
*thwack* nah, comments always welcome. You know me, I like stirring things up.

------------------
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005

Old 06-10-2001, 10:02 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gto2050:
I received the following from Lexus in dealing with the 94 GS300 I used to own:
Here is a tech tip for your 1994 Lexus GS 300:

Premium Fuel Tech Tip
Over the years drivers have been lead to believe that premium fuel is better for a car's engine. This misnomer is costing a lot of drivers a pretty penny. For example, if
you drive an average of 15,000 miles a year and are using fuel that is one grade level above the manufacturers recommendation then you are wasting about $75 (that's 75 cups of coffee) a year. Check your owner's manual for the factory recommended fuel octane rating and use that grade fuel in future.

If you are interested, here are some technicalities supporting the above comment. The Octane rating defines a gasoline's anti knock quality, in other words the gasoline's resistance to pre-ignition. The higher the rating the greater the resistance to engine knock. A manufacturer recommends fuels that are compatible with the compression ratio and internal combustion design of an engine. These engine attributes vary with power
output and vehicle design. A performance car for example will need high-octane fuel to accommodate a high compression, which is necessary to obtain high performance.

This seems to fly in the face of other arguments or statements on this forum. Opinions??

</font>
Sounds like a form letter to me because I got a similiar email from my Acura dealership saying the same thing: that I was wasting money using premium in my new Acura.

I've always used premium unleaded everyday in my vehicle and whenever I tried regular unleaded (twice), I did notice a slight change in performance only when I was really running hard.

On this roadtrip, I have been using regular unleaded exclusively. I'm averaging 28 to 32 mph. At highway speeds, I can't tell any difference. When I opened it up (95-110), something is seems to be missing. Just to see if it is my imagination, next fill-up will be premium unleaded across Illinois and Missouri (at the end of my trip) where I will have plenty of room to experiment.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-10-2001, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Are you sure the letter wasn't referring to an Acura that doesn't require Premium fuel? From what I've seen, these bulletins or other consumer guides usually refer to cars not specifying the use of Premium fuel. So it's justified when the Mfr. requires it...mainly in performance vehicles. My dealer also told me that I could get by on mid-grade for my type S, with decreased performance.

------------------
'01 CL-S Black/Parchment
Spoiler and NAV.
Infinity Kappa 6.5" comps.
Kappa 2-way 6x9s
10" Kicker Solobaric sub.
Kicker IX405D 5-channel amp.