gas mileage issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas mileage issue?

First off, how much gas mileage does everybody else get on average in their CL-S? How many miles per tank? How many miles per gallon? My car has almost 1800 miles on it. Is it possible that I'll get better gas mileage once the car is fully broken in? Right now, I'm getting about 315 miles per tank. I calculated this and it's just over 17mpg.... I'm just freaked out since it's much less than my 97GSR. haha. Tell me if im being paranoid, or if this is a legitimate worry. ANY FEEDBACK APPRECIATED AND WELCOME. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Back to Four Doors

I have about 54,000 miles on my CL-S. I have consistently averaged about 24 to 25.5 mpg with 80% hwy driving (avg speed = 75 mph). If I increase my in-town driving, I still get above 23 mpg. I typically use only auto mode with minimum SS. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:39 PM
7th Gear

Winter Gas MPG

The Clean Air Act requires gas companies in certain urban areas to add alcohol to their gasoline during the winter to lower certain emmissions (and to sell more corn based alcohol). If you are in one of these areas your mpg in the winter will fall quite a bit and rise again in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Check it out, this could be your problem if the low mpg has occurred over the past couple of months.

Mike
Old 02-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22 MPG consistent..All city winter time drops to 18 MPG
Old 02-23-2003, 09:46 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm consistently getting over 28mpg and have passed 30 a couple of times, but admittedly the overwhelming majority of my driving is Interstate (I-83, I-695, I-95, BW Parkway). Also, I know they use winterized gas in my area, but this has basically had no effect. I'm at 15K miles.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Drifting

im just really really hoping that i get 20mpg minimum on average. premium gas is not getting any cheaper with f-ing bush and his war. any suggestions, tips, any other comments please? im a desperate and semi-broke man.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:23 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

I average 27.4mpg, as much as 420 miles a tank. A little easier on the right foot maybe
Old 02-24-2003, 01:42 AM
Racer

In pure stop n' go city driving in LA, about 16, and no heavy foot. Pure highway, about 26. When I'm in Palm Springs (sort of half city, half highway), 20-21. I was pretty freaked out when I first got my car too.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Registered Member

I hear u Good Ride, i usually get 18 MPG with my TL-S which is BS from the 19/31 rating. I think i waste most of it on the Highway going 80 MPH, going 80 MPH is like 17% more ineffiecnt than going 65 MPH. I never got more then 270 miles before the light comes on
Old 02-24-2003, 06:45 AM
What, me drive fast?

Highway I get around 26mpg give or take. Daily driving for me, which is about 50/50 town and highway I get 21-24mpg.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The auto I had I got about 275-300 a tank. The new 6 speed with 700 miles only gets about 250 so far. I never figured out the MPG.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I get about 20 mpg in city/rural driving - 45mph and some stop and go. Although if i do pure highway at 80+ mph i've gotten over 430 miles with (according to the gauge, which is way innacurate) a quarter of a tank left. That works out to about 30 mpg, which is awesome.

I have noticed the gas guage being really weird though. Once you get past the halfway point it drops MUCH faster than before, and i still have 2 or 3 gallons left when the gas light comes on.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I have 10K miles on my 2003 six speeder. I record every tank of gas that I pump and calculate MPG.

A pure city tanks run about 18-19 MPG with a low of 16.7 MPG and a high of about 21 MPG. A pure highway tank runs about 29 or 30 MPG with a low of 28 and a high of 31 MPG. Mixed highway & city tanks run in between, about 22-25 MPG.

My calculated MPG is right where the EPA estimated this car. No complaints here.

I did discover that my lower MPG tanks occur when I'm revving more in the VTEC range. If you stay off the accelerator then you'll improve MPG (and I've tested and proved this theory, at least in my car), but what's the fun in that?
Old 02-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Racer

Stop and go city = 23 to 24 mpg.
Hiway with cruise @ 75 = 33 mpg best to date (3 tankfulls)
30,000 miles
Old 02-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Drifting

so is there a possibility that I just need to break my car in a little more? I don't really drive it that hard, just pushing it when i need to such as merging or passing.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by zigzagzig
so is there a possibility that I just need to break my car in a little more? I don't really drive it that hard, just pushing it when i need to such as merging or passing.
People have reported improved mileage with aging.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

I do purely city/stop-and-go driving and I get consistently 20 mpg. I also keep track of every mile during each fillup. I haven't taken my car on any highway trips yet, so I can't confirm the 30 mpg. I've got the 6-speed and probably rev into vtec about 3-5 times a week (fill up once a week).

Hopefully will get a chance to take a road trip soon to see the mileage go up.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:15 PM
///M POWER

OMG u guys get good MPG

i average 15, no thats not a typo, 15 MPG

i cant seem to stay out of vtec
Old 02-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Instructor

raising gas mileage and performance

You guys might of seen this on t.v. but I heard it really works and people I met in person said it works also. There are several products out but one is called Z-max. It raises your gas mileage and your car performance better. My mechanic actually gets a diff. lubricant that he says works better then z-max that only dealers can get but for people who dont have hook ups I would go with zmax.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Good Ride
In pure stop n' go city driving in LA, about 16, and no heavy foot. Pure highway, about 26. When I'm in Palm Springs (sort of half city, half highway), 20-21. I was pretty freaked out when I first got my car too.
LA: got to love the impact of brutal stop n' go traffic on gas mileage!

Looks like my city only #s (15-19).
Highway @ 70-85MPH Avg: 28-31 MPG
Mixed hwy/freeway/city: All over the place...
Old 02-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Racer

Would you guys who are getting better than 16 in brutal heavy traffic city-only tell me how you do it? (Are you really in stop-light to stop light, crawl along traffic?) I mean I've tried really light foot, no VTEC, etc. No way have I've ever gotten better than 16.5 in pure stop n'go. I've asked techs at two local dealers, and they all tell me that my mileage is about what others are getting. BTW, I did find my car increased from about 15 to 16 after a few thousand miles.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Happiness is ..... an engine treated with mineral oil filled with food colouring????

Originally posted by LiLMaN
You guys might of seen this on t.v. but I heard it really works and people I met in person said it works also. There are several products out but one is called Z-max. It raises your gas mileage and your car performance better. My mechanic actually gets a diff. lubricant that he says works better then z-max that only dealers can get but for people who dont have hook ups I would go with zmax.
Have a look at this:

QUOTE from http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/additives.html

"Happiness is ..... an engine treated with mineral oil filled with food colouring????"

Excerpt from FTC page:

"FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary

Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive – were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.

According to the FTC complaint, since at least May 1999, zMax ran infomercials touting its "Power System," a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials feature testimonials from consumers and race car drivers making claims such as, "I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon;" and "zMax guarantees a minimum of 10 percent gas mileage increase." Other marketing and promotional pieces claim, "zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes your car to the MAX!" and "Why zMAX Works - Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5% - Results of an independent CRC L38 test."

According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;
increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%
reduces engine wear;
reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;
reduces engine corrosion;
extends engine life; and
reduces emissions.
The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;
reduces engine wear;
extends engine life;
lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%
lowers wear on valve stems by 66%
lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and
cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.
Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

The FTC is asking the court to bar the defendants from violating the FTC Act, which prohibits deceptive acts and to order consumer redress or require that they give up their ill-gotten gains.

This case is the latest in a series of FTC law-enforcement initiatives targeting unsubstantiated claims made by auto additive manufacturers. The FTC previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, and STP, other major brands of engine treatment products.

The Commission vote to file the complaint was 5-0. It was filed in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, in Greensboro, January 31, 2001.

LINKS:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm
Old 02-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Would you guys who are getting better than 16 in brutal heavy traffic city-only tell me how you do it? (Are you really in stop-light to stop light, crawl along traffic?) I mean I've tried really light foot, no VTEC, etc. No way have I've ever gotten better than 16.5 in pure stop n'go. I've asked techs at two local dealers, and they all tell me that my mileage is about what others are getting. BTW, I did find my car increased from about 15 to 16 after a few thousand miles.
The 'experiment' that I did was to purposely do all my shifts at about 2200 - 2500 (I have a manual transmission) for an entire tank of hard city driving. My gas mileage was significantly better then my typical tank where I shift around 4000.

Of course, now that I know my car can get decent mileage I go ahead and enjoy VTEC and find myself shifting at 5000 - 6000 and not worry about the MPGs.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Racer

We have the automatic............in town I use D4--that's it. Also it helps I don't have my foot in it all the time. Pretty easy to get 23-24 in town, but we don't have "the crawl", which is what must be hurting your mileage. However, I would think the 6 spd. could do better than 16 mpg!! I nearly get that in my 02 RAM QuadCab 4.7 V-8!!
Old 02-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

My opinions/thoughts:

Car #2 is a 4-cylinder 4-banger (Nissan Altima), and it gets about 15-18MPG in LA traffic (over 30 MPG on freeway). In one particular run, where the traffic is really BRUTAL, the car is getting 15 MPG (or less). The Acura CLS gets about the same gas mileage and the car weighs approx. 300 lbs more and is has a 3.2L V6.

OK, so I didn't answer your question, what's with the "story"...

The 4-banger manual is kept in tip-top shape, and is driven in how-to-save-gas-in-the-city mode (shifts at 2500 rpm, car turned off during long waits). And it only gets 15-18 MPG depending on week, conditions, etc.

Conditions/factors that make comparisons difficult at best:

1. Idling most of the time. It's your drive and just going to a different area or set of streets can change your mileage by 50-80%. (How can anyone know just how bad you're particular drive is?) (Is someone else idling 20%, 40%, 50%, 80% of the time?)

2. Wasted gas during warm up.

3. Hills/grades?

4. Length of stop lights.

5. Number of stoplights and stop signs.

6. Clearing time during high congestion hours (how many times have you waited for 3-4 lights to get through a busy intersection?).

7. Luck: Just starting out at a slightly different hour can change the percent of idle time. Your getting 0 MPG when stopped.

What I'm getting at here is: As long as you are in BRUTAL stop 'n go traffic, it is very, very difficult to compare to someone else’s drive.

Suggestion: If you sit long enough -- turn the car off!
Old 02-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Slimey
The 'experiment' that I did was to purposely do all my shifts at about 2200 - 2500 (I have a manual transmission) for an entire tank of hard city driving. My gas mileage was significantly better then my typical tank where I shift around 4000.

Of course, now that I know my car can get decent mileage I go ahead and enjoy VTEC and find myself shifting at 5000 - 6000 and not worry about the MPGs.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Racer

Just to clarify, my CL-S is an auto. Has anybody found that using D4 improves mileage? I tried it and it didn't change a thing for my milieage.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by EricL
Suggestion: If you sit long enough -- turn the car off!
Excellent suggestion. I used to think my dad was weird when he turned the car off at the loooong lights, but he was just saving gas.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by EricL
1. Idling most of the time. It's your drive and just going to a different area or set of streets can change your mileage by 50-80%. (How can anyone know just how bad you're particular drive is?) (Is someone else idling 20%, 40%, 50%, 80% of the time?)
Of course driving rather then idling is more fun too. I was doing a rotation in Torrance for several months when I lived in Sherman Oaks. If I left between 3:30 and 8PM, the freeway trip back could be brutal. I discovered I could stay awake better if I took surface streets. I'd get off near the airport and cruise onto La Cienega, take it into Hollywood, over the hills, and then home. At least I got the car into 3rd sometimes, where on the 405 I'd only get into 2nd or stay in first for a loooong time.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

26 in the winter, 30 in the summer, I use the 'full auto' climate control.

Try a different gas station. I keep track of my MPG, look out for pump fraud.

Check your tire pressure. Any vibrations at hwy speed? Get a rotation and balance.

From reading this board, seems the CL MPG is all over the place.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:14 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Bluto makes a good point -- I forget that I leave my climate control on auto year around. I bet the A/C compressor costs us 1 MPG or so.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:17 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I never took my climate control off of "auto" for the first 5 months, and since running it not in that position I haven't noticed any difference. Gas also makes a difference ... my car (and the Max it replaced) love Chevron, unfortunately it's not sold here in Pa. Coming back from Texas, by the time I hit Little Rock I had traveled just over 500 miles and the low fuel light had yet to come on, but I didn't want to chance getting garbage gas on I-40 so I filled there -- mileage worked out to about 35 at that point!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Racer

I thiink EricL made some good points -- there are so many things that effect mileage. Very hard to compare apples to apples. I was thinking some more about my own experience, in LA and in Palm Springs. Both are cities, but LA is a 16mpg city and Palm Springs is a 21 mpg city. Still wondering if anybody has found D4 any help. Seems like it shouldn't matter if you're crawling???
Old 02-24-2003, 06:27 PM
Drifting

I just noticed that my car is making a weird noise in the front left tire/wheel when I'm driving on the highway. It's not constant, it's pretty intermittent. The sound is more of a deep, bassy sound if you know what I mean. What could that be indicating? Anybody experience this problem?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: gas mileage issue?

Originally posted by zigzagzig
First off, how much gas mileage does everybody else get on average in their CL-S? How many miles per tank? How many miles per gallon? My car has almost 1800 miles on it. Is it possible that I'll get better gas mileage once the car is fully broken in? Right now, I'm getting about 315 miles per tank. I calculated this and it's just over 17mpg.... I'm just freaked out since it's much less than my 97GSR. haha. Tell me if im being paranoid, or if this is a legitimate worry. ANY FEEDBACK APPRECIATED AND WELCOME. Thanks.
your calculations are impossible

315 divided by 17 mpg = 18.5 gallons
your tank only holds 17-18(i believe)
redo your math
Old 02-25-2003, 04:00 PM
///M POWER

our tank is 17.1 gallons
Old 02-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Pro

Consistent 28-30 with 75% highway. Record is 32.94! No problem getting 425-450 per tank. Of course, I dont drag race the car at each light.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Drifting

17.1-17.2 gallons in our car. but i guess i must have hit a button wrong or something on the calculator. I guess I just hit 18mpg. This is with about 65% city and 35% highway. Sigh. I'm just not sure if this is what I'm supposed to be getting. Hopefully time will bless me with one or two more miles to the gallon. =)
Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Pro

you probably know this already but make sure your climate control settings are "A/C off" (unless you really need it of course) if it says "A/C on" your mpg's will suffer and power too
Old 02-26-2003, 09:37 PM
6th Gear

i get about 240miles per full tank on 93 octane gas

is somthing wrong can anyone give me any tips

Quick Reply: gas mileage issue?