Funny story about Carmax... (long!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 05:16 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Funny story about Carmax... (long!!!)

I saw a commercial on TV today for Carmax, so I decided to take a spin over there and see what they'd offer for my car.

Below is the dialogue that took place (not word for word, but close) when the quote was to be presented.

There was a finance guy and the salesman who initially helped me out. The finance guy did all of the talking (couldn’t have been more than 25)...

Carmax: Well, Eric. Here is our offer. It’s good for 10 day or 300 miles.

Me: (looking at the offer which is on paper) $22,000!!! You're joking, right?

Carmax: We feel that's a fair offer. That is what we could get the car for (at auction).

Me: And sources like KBB and Edmunds value the car at around $25,000 for a dealer trade in.

Carmax: Eric let me ask you this. What if someone had a car, half of it was painted purple, half was painted orange. What would Kelly Blue say the car is worth?

Me: I have no idea.

Carmax: Well, you see… Kelly Blue Book doesn’t take into account things like this.

Me: So you're saying you're offering $3000 less because of the color of my car?

Carmax: No... See Kelly Blue Book has never bought a car before. This is what I do, is buy cars. Kelly Blue Book doesn't take into account many many variables which factor into the buying price of a car. What do you do for a living?

Me: I'm a consultant.

Carmax: Ok, so you go to other businesses and tell them how to do things better, and so on right?

Me: Sometimes, but what the hell does my profession have to do with me getting screwed on a trade in?

Carmax: Well, see I sell cars for a living...

Me: (Interupt) We've already established this Matt...

Carmax: Well... I don't know how to do your job, but I'd like to think I'm pretty good at mine. And to be honest Eric, I highly doubt you know how to do mine…

Me: Ummm.. Ok. (I begin to stand up)

Carmax: Hold on a second, Eric. You obviously don't like the price. Let's talk for a minute. (Grabs the quote document away from me, as I reach for it to leave)

Me: You're right Matt. The quote is horrible. It's an insult... (I’m playing along at this point)

Carmax: I don't think so... That is the market value... KBB, Edmunds, etc. Don't buy cars. We do...

Me: Yeah, ok... So explain to me why every car on your lot, below the sticker price has a "Car valued at XXX according to Kelly Blue Book".

Carmax: We use it for comparison.

Me: Comparison, eh? Am I allowed to use those types of sources for comparison?

Carmax: Sure, but ultimately it's at our discretion to decide what the car is worth.

Me: I thought you said the quote was based on auction price.

Carmax: That too...

Me: One last question before I leave and not come back. How can you justify asking $23,100 for a 1999 Acura TL with 17K miles and offer me $22,000 for a car that is a 2002 with 6,000 and is a Type S? What number would you put back on my car? $26,000? $27,000?

Carmax: I'm not at liberty to say? But I can guarantee you won't get a cash offer better than this anywhere.

Me: I've got to hand it to you Matt, you're one hell of a salesman. Quite a few people would probably believe every word that comes out of your mouth.

Carmax: Thank you.

Me: Too bad I'm not that person.

Carmax: Yep.. That is unfortunate.

Me: Tell you what. I think I'm going to go down the street, and talk to the BMW dealer again. I mean after all, they offered 24K for my car, and well trading that in will take off another 1500 in taxes. So, they way I see it, that's about $25.5K for my car... Can you meet that?

Carmax: Here's the offer as you see it.

Me: (I pick up the quote) Thank you very much for your time.

Carmax: Eric, I can assure you this offer is the best you'll find.

Me: (and I walk out)

Bunch of fucking dipasses!!!
Old 09-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Balla on a Budget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man what a jackass! I will offer you $22,100.
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
dumbasses!!hhhahaa!!!

the normal dealers have started a new thing, too....they tell you that go see what carmax gives you and we gaurantee that we can beat their offer! hahahah....no shit asshole....they lowball me and you give me 500-1000 bucks over what they say and i am supposed to feel good? hahah fuck off!!
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Damn thats crazy... they gave me a decent price for my TLS... i had 16k miles on it, and they offered 26k. I thought it was pretty good offer. Then again mine did have Navi.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
AssGoblins!!!!

Old 09-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Racer

I don't understand why he was giving you "market value". I work in insurance and when a vehicle is deemed a total loss, the insurance company is obligated to pay market value, not edmunds, blue book, red book, or any other book. Since this is not the case in your situation, I don't know why he isn't deviating from his offer and givign a fair trade in amount.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was offered $23.5K for my CL (non-navi) from an Audi dealer. Trade your car in at the BMW dealer......If they give you 23K for it, with the money you save in taxes it would be like they gave 25K for it, and its less of a headache
Old 09-16-2002, 09:12 PM
5th Gear

haha, fuck carmax, they offered to sell me a 1997 honda accord 4 cylinder LX with 65k miles in early 2000 for 15k???? Thats how much I bought my damn 1998 V6 LX with 32k miles for
Old 09-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, CarMax is one sh!tty company. I was lookin at a '01 Black CL-S at one of their "superstores" in my area. I knew after the first glance that the car was not the "one". First off, the "Type-S" logo on the trunk was missing. There were badly scratched rims, cracked side mirror, stains on seats, defective clock that showed garbled characters, and from what I could tell, warped rotors. They wanted $25k for that and it had 25k miles. Not worth shit! I'm glad I decided to pay more and get a real car!

Those people are practically chopshops! They just buy them off police auctions and fix them up w/ their obviously important 120-pt. inspection and slap on a heart-warming 30-day warranty. The lady I testdrove with kept talking about how "hot" this car is and that they are hard to find (my ass!). She told me we HAD to go back to the dealer lot after no more of a 5 min. test drive! I said "I loved the car", gave a invalid phone number, and got the fuk outta there!.