Fuel Pulsation Damper

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Fuel Pulsation Damper

For anyone with knowledge of this. Are there any drawbacks to removing the Fuel Pulsation Dampner on a FI setup?
I'm looking to install a fuel pressure sensor and trying to decide my possibilities. I don't want to install the sensor on the engine area due to vibrations which can lead to possible sensor failure or false readings.
I want to plumb the sensor off an aftermarket fuel distribution block attached to the firewall/cowling area and eliminate the dampner altogether. Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinJim
For anyone with knowledge of this. Are there any drawbacks to removing the Fuel Pulsation Dampner on a FI setup?
I'm looking to install a fuel pressure sensor and trying to decide my possibilities. I don't want to install the sensor on the engine area due to vibrations which can lead to possible sensor failure or false readings.
I want to plumb the sensor off an aftermarket fuel distribution block attached to the firewall/cowling area and eliminate the dampner altogether. Thoughts?
Are you running a different FPR as well?

I suspect it would be perfectly fine to run without it. Heck, the FPR does some dampning on its own.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scalbert
Are you running a different FPR as well?

I suspect it would be perfectly fine to run without it. Heck, the FPR does some dampning on its own.
yes, different fpr as well. i'll try it to see how it works. do you see any problems pipeing the sensor directly into the main fuel feed?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Racer

i never take the dampener off it helps keep the injectors firing a good cone pattern, a good cone pattern is what a smooth engine is all about, and also a good fuel mixture in the engine, if you have a bad pattern you will have small and big fuel drops and that will not form a good mixture. i usually just run a fuel pressure gauge off the feed line if its hard to find a place, i made my own line with a little adapter in the middle and it works just fine, then i can screw the pressure sensor in the adapter in the middle of the line. run it like you want but keep the dampener, try this take it off and you will see the fuel pressure bounce around with the fuel pump moving, it will vibrate really fast, if i remember right.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by civicking
i never take the dampener off it helps keep the injectors firing a good cone pattern, a good cone pattern is what a smooth engine is all about, and also a good fuel mixture in the engine, if you have a bad pattern you will have small and big fuel drops and that will not form a good mixture. i usually just run a fuel pressure gauge off the feed line if its hard to find a place, i made my own line with a little adapter in the middle and it works just fine, then i can screw the pressure sensor in the adapter in the middle of the line. run it like you want but keep the dampener, try this take it off and you will see the fuel pressure bounce around with the fuel pump moving, it will vibrate really fast, if i remember right.

If you have a crappy mechanical guage like the B&M guage it will bounce around... get a good guage! At high fuel pressures it does not matter whether you have the dampener or not. Also, the 'cone' shape spray from the injector has nothing to do with the dampener. You could have momentary blips in fuel-pressure without the damper but not at 70-80psi
Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
If you have a crappy mechanical gauge like the B&M gauge it will bounce around... get a good gauge! At high fuel pressures it does not matter whether you have the dampener or not. Also, the 'cone' shape spray from the injector has nothing to do with the dampener. You could have momentary blips in fuel-pressure without the damper but not at 70-80psi
the only way your running that much pressure is if your running a rising rate regulator, is he running that? stock it should be 47-54psi so where are you getting 70-80psi? how does the cone shape got nothing to do with the fuel pressure, to low a pressure and it does not develop fully and i was saying the fuel pressure bouncing around will cause the amount of fuel to change getting to the engine, as you know more pressure more fuel less pressure less fuel, so if you have a fuel pressure that is bouncing your getting more/less/more/less all the time causing at least a rougher idle because of the non consistent burn that is happening.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

the only way your running that much pressure is if your running a rising rate regulator, is he running that? stock it should be 47-54psi so where are you getting 70-80psi?
He is talking about forced induction and using a different FPR. Also, the 55 PSI base was also with vacuum. Under load the stock fuel pressure would climb to about 65 PSI. With the Comptech SC and its rising rate regulator we would see 100+ PSI.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

how does the cone shape got nothing to do with the fuel pressure, to low a pressure and it does not develop fully and i was saying the fuel pressure bouncing around will cause the amount of fuel to change getting to the engine, as you know more pressure more fuel less pressure less fuel, so if you have a fuel pressure that is bouncing your getting more/less/more/less all the time causing at least a rougher idle because of the non consistent burn that is happening.
You are missing that even the stock regulator dampens as well. It is a fluid device so it is not holding a static pressure. True, fluxtuations could cause unusual responses. But these would need to be somewhat severe. Nothing like what I ever saw on the J32A2.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only way your running that much pressure is if your running a rising rate regulator, is he running that? stock it should be 47-54psi so where are you getting 70-80psi? how does the cone shape got nothing to do with the fuel pressure, to low a pressure and it does not develop fully and i was saying the fuel pressure bouncing around will cause the amount of fuel to change getting to the engine, as you know more pressure more fuel less pressure less fuel, so if you have a fuel pressure that is bouncing your getting more/less/more/less all the time causing at least a rougher idle because of the non consistent burn that is happening.
Injectors are generally rated on flow at 42psi. The 'cone' shape or whatever shape you want the spray pattern to be is tested at that pressure. 10 psi is probably only going to narrow the angle of the spray... a cone that does not spread out as much. The atomization won't be seriously affected until you hit 20psi or even less than that.