front license plate suckers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front license plate suckers

For those of you who are required by law to have a license plate on your car facing forward (i.e. - Maryland), do any of you know the law about keeping the license plate in your front window instead of having the factory plastic mount scratching up your front end? I just took mine off and put my license plate in the front window. Hopefully, I'll be able to go a couple days without getting in trouble; so I can find out what the deal is with this regarding law. And if it is mandatory to have the plate mounted on the front, are there any alternatives at all? That mount really f's up the bumper.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 550 Posts
The law for new york is that it has to be mounted on the front of the car. The Key word is mounted. Sitting in the window isn't legal.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Drifting

so im guessing that applies for all other states with the same law?
Old 06-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Drifting

any alternatives so that it doesnt mess up our front bumper?
Old 06-14-2003, 09:59 PM
What, me drive fast?

In MA if you have the "old" style green numbered plates then you don't need a front plate. The "new" red number plates you need both plates. I will never give my green plates.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Lou did something with putting some door trim around the plate holder so that it wouldn't scratch the paint.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=100335

The pics are gone, musta been attachments, which we can't do anymore on the forum, but it's a way to ge legal and not scratch the front bumper.

I don't plan on removing my front plate, so I don't care if the paint gets scratched. If I sell my CLS to someone who lives in a state that doesn't require a front plate, I'll let them deal with it
Old 06-14-2003, 10:50 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

I live in MD too and I know a few people who have gotten the $50 no front plate ticket, but I've been front plate free for the six months I've had the car with no problems. The dude I bought the car from didn't even have the bracket and i dont plan on buying one. I also have a couple friends that do the front window thing and they dont get ticketed for that but they do seem to get a lot of speeding tickets.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:08 AM
Safety Car

I put mine back on cause I keep bumping into my house!
Old 06-15-2003, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

why go through all that trouble? just be a rebel and don't put one @ all. i think keeping it in the front windsheild actually attracts attention * civics do that shit all around here * I just broke my plate holder on purpose and put the plate in the trunk and when I get pulled over " yes officer I am aware I don't have plates, but it because the holder is broken and I'm getting it fixed asap."

Plus most cops aleast in va don't ticket you for front plates unless your already pulled over. Plus i'll gladly pay a 25 dollar ticket for front plates cause I think front plates totally kill the lines of the CL-S up front.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
why go through all that trouble? just be a rebel and don't put one @ all. i think keeping it in the front windsheild actually attracts attention * civics do that shit all around here * I just broke my plate holder on purpose and put the plate in the trunk and when I get pulled over " yes officer I am aware I don't have plates, but it because the holder is broken and I'm getting it fixed asap."

Plus most cops aleast in va don't ticket you for front plates unless your already pulled over. Plus i'll gladly pay a 25 dollar ticket for front plates cause I think front plates totally kill the lines of the CL-S up front.

haha, you're a rebel joe. dont forget that im a poor man, and i cant be payin 25 dollar tickets all the time. but im still keeping it off. haha
Old 06-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS

I got a ticket when my car was parked. I have a shit box tauras to drive to the train station. the front was smashed and i had the licnece plate in the window. cop gave me a ticket. I sent in pix of the front of the car, saying it was hit and no place for a licence plate, so i stuck it in the window. and i took pix of both plates to show i had both. They said" It's not a valid excuse,but we'll reduce the fine to $25.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New York sucks when it comes to these bullshit laws......
Old 06-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Race Director

I'm sure the same applies to MD: http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/trooper/60479526.htm
Old 06-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Banned

get the new Lancer Evolution license plate holder it would look bad ass on the cl-s...the plate is mounted on the side and it has the angle to make the plate face forward even tho its mounted on an angle

my guess the holder for that car is $8 max but it can work they put it on the side to let more air pass through to the inercooler
Old 06-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Screw the front license plate!!!! CA has one of most strict laws and anal retentive cops that enforce them...i.e, tint, license plate , lowering..lights, etc.

I live in CA and I took mine off....:sqntfawk: 'em

and most definetly not going to put some big rectangle shaped metal thing on my dash...forget that

Old 06-15-2003, 06:03 PM

i think as long as you are not driving on weird and stuff and do the occassional wave with a smile when they look your way...will prevent them from pulling you over some stupid stuff. I've had so many cops (even the motorcycle cops) look at that area of my car and ignore it. I guess they dont want to waste time doing paperwork for a front plate issue.
knock on wood since I havent been cited for it...I even got a speeding ticket several months back and he didnt write that on there.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Banned

yea but NY is the terrorist capital of the world....the job to have in NY for the next 10 years is anti-terrorist crime unit.....all the overtime you want....
Old 06-15-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by lou
yea but NY is the terrorist capital of the world....the job to have in NY for the next 10 years is anti-terrorist crime unit.....all the overtime you want....
overtime? what is that?

haha...us salary employees rarely even hear the word...haha
Old 06-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Racer

I don't have one i'm in md. no problems