Ford is stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 12:19 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford is stupid!

I saw a commercial for the new Ford Explorer and it has independent rear suspension but the Mustang still doesn't (except the Cobra R). How stupid is that?
Old 05-07-2001, 12:21 AM
Instructor

The regular cobra has had it since 99'.

2001 Silver Type S
5%Lumar Tint
18*7.5 Konig Toxxins 235/40 Nt555 nittos
K&N Drop in
Razo Pedals
Old 05-07-2001, 12:22 AM
Racer

Oops... really?

OK, you're right but shouldn't the regular Mustang get IRS before the Explorer?

[This message has been edited by frederix (edited 05-06-2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Of course Ford is stupid, thats why we all bought Acura!!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.
Old 05-07-2001, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Yeah it was the only thing they had to brag about besides 20 more hp after the facelift.

2001 Silver Type S
5%Lumar Tint
18*7.5 Konig Toxxins 235/40 Nt555 nittos
K&N Drop in
Razo Pedals
Old 05-07-2001, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by frederix:

OK, you're right but shouldn't the regular Mustang get IRS before the Explorer?
</font>
This has a lot to do with heritage. The Mustang is a muscle car. Muscle cars are supposed to be about going fast in a straight line. The typical Mustang buyer could care less that their car handles like crap. And as far as the Explorer getting it, I'm sure that it had a lot to do with safety. Better handling = more safety and we all know how the Explorer could use a bit better reputation in the safety dept right about now Plus, the Explorer is a bread n butter vehicle... it's gonna get top priority over the 'Stang any day of the week.
Old 05-07-2001, 01:23 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Nothing they have done recently can measure up to the fact that they spent 6 Billion dollars a few years back developing their "world car" e.g. Mystique, Contour, Mondeo and brought priced it just under the Taurus. That car has been a sales flop. 6 BILLION.
The backseat was a joke, in the second model year they had to redesign the back of the front seat and carve out a huge chunk of it so they could add a couple inches of leg room. 6 Billion. That's just one example of this fiasco.

Now, let us talk about the Pontiac Aztec.

------------------
- As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Dunlop SP5000 215/50/17
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote
Old 05-07-2001, 11:13 AM
Meat Popsicle

I thought that the Contour was a big hit in Europe? It has a different name though. I have seen some photos in the car rags of the redesigned euro-only version, and it looks very nice. The redesigned version is the basis for the new Jag X type, and that one is expected to make a mint for Ford.

Ford does not redesign the rear end of the Mustang because development is expensive, and they sell as many as they make now.

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments
Old 05-07-2001, 11:33 AM
6 speed...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rock Dog:
Nothing they have done recently can measure up to the fact that they spent 6 Billion dollars a few years back developing their "world car" e.g. Mystique, Contour, Mondeo and brought priced it just under the Taurus.

<snip>

6 Billion. That's just one example of this fiasco.

Now, let us talk about the Pontiac Aztec.

</font>
well, you can't really blame ford for a GM product, can you?
Old 05-07-2001, 02:25 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Actually, it seems most Mustang buyers prefer a live axle set-up. Especially the guys that run their car at the track, since the Cobra (w/independant rear) always seems to break halfshafts.

Also, don't forget the fact that the Mustang is a MUCH cheaper vehicle than the Explorer. Live axle is still cheaper to produce.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason
Old 05-07-2001, 02:43 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ford is stupid! </font>
This has been obvious for many years now. I won't even take the time to list reasons why. Most of them are obvious and I've already spent too much time listing them other places.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-07-2001, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Tom2 is correct in saying that majority mustang owners would prefer the live axle set-up, because of (1/4 mile) drag racing durability. I have changed out several IRS systems in the Cobra Mustangs and put in 8.8" and 9" rear-ends for the fact that IRS's break under extreme torque. Most people purchase a Mustang because of the torque and power that it has at an affordable price. I do agree that Ford does things a little backwards, but if people are buying their products the way they are introducing them into the market, then way change. Another note to this issue is that the Lincoln Town Car gets the Cobra engine one to two years before the Cobra does to test for reliability. P.S. I enjoy my Mustang for street/strip racing and my CL Type S for everyday driving. My Mustang is pretty built and my CLS has headers,springs,and sway bars. In my opinion, the CLS is a nice looking, easy on gas, and very reliable car, while my mustang is meant for racing. Hence the name BLOWN 331.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am pretty sure that next year the non-cobra Mustangs are getting independant suspension in the rear. Plust they are getting ready for a complete overhaul of the car. Watch for the new Mustang to be sharing platforms with upcoming or even existing Jaguars (X-Type possibly?). It will be a better car though for sure.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Gavriil,

Thanks for the info. Have not heard about the new make over yet, but do know that Ford is working on going back to the 5.0 liter displacement. What they have been doing is enlarging(boring and sleeving) the 4.6 (281 cubes)to 289-302 cubes. Testing has been going on for about a year. Don't know if Ford is going to implement this new engine into the mustang right now. If anything it will go into the Lincoln Towncar for more testing.

Later...
Old 05-08-2001, 03:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BLOWN 331:
Gavriil,

Thanks for the info. Have not heard about the new make over yet, but do know that Ford is working on going back to the 5.0 liter displacement. What they have been doing is enlarging(boring and sleeving) the 4.6 (281 cubes)to 289-302 cubes. Testing has been going on for about a year. Don't know if Ford is going to implement this new engine into the mustang right now. If anything it will go into the Lincoln Towncar for more testing.

Later...
</font>

Actually, Ford has been testing the 3.9 liter Lima engine for the new Mustang coming out in 2003. And they are thinking of the GT and/or Cobra being a supercharged version of that engine. I will find more info on this.
------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S

[This message has been edited by gavriil (edited 05-08-2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 03:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Here is more info from BlueOvalNews:

Ford Motor Company wants to further consolidate their current engine lineup and the Ford Mustang might be the next target. The Mustang is currently available with two different versions of the Romeo 4.6L Modular V8 engine - the GT uses a 16 valve engine and the Cobra a 32 valve engine. Ford's 3.9L "Lima" V8 engines are currently only offered in the Lincoln LS while a 4.0L version (made in England) is only available in the Jaguar S-Type. The 3.9L version is being prepared for use in the 2002 Thunderbird. Aside from the Lincoln LS, Jag S and Thunderbird using the same engine they all also use the DEW chassis which the Mustang will begin using starting in 2003. Chassis and drivetrain consolidation for the 2003 Mustang make sense from those standpoints alone.

BlueOvalNews first reported that the 4.6L engine would be discontinued in at least the Cobra on 01 August 1999 <full article> and then published that Ford would begin to use a 5.0L version in the Cobra on 13 August 1999 <full article here>. Internal Ford documents also made available to BlueOvalNews detailed that Ford is concerned about the Mustang's contribution to Ford's overall CAFE <full article>.

Aside from the fact that the Modular V8 has a lot of critics and supporters both inside and outside of Ford Motor Company <Ford engineer interview>, other factors are what's really driving the possible switch from the Modular to the Lima engine. According to very reliable sources, Ford has been testing the 3.9L V8 in Mustangs for over a year now. Ford has hired several outside Engineering companies to develop, test and evaluate the 3.9L engine. One source familiar with the program claims that the Lima engine is more efficient, in part due to a more favorable combustion chamber design. The combustion chamber's design is essential for optimum performance and reduced emissions. The CAFE contribution also tips toward the Lima design over the Modular design. For speed freaks Ford is also testing a SuperCharged version of the 3.9L

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-08-2001, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Gabriel,

Thanks for the info again! I did not that about the Lima engine. Thanks for taking the time to update me. I guess we won't be seeing the 5.0 liter.

BLOWN 331