Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat Tire

Well, I get out to lunch durign my MCSE class and low and behold me left front tire was flat. One of my fellow MSCE'ers helped me change it. Cool guy too. I got the stuff out, jacked the car up blink my eye, the wheel is off and the spare is on. Take the car and ture over to Sears which is a quarter mile away, leave the car there, give the mechanic me cellphone and off to lunch. I get out of class, and it was only $15 to plug the hole.
It was an Allen wrench! Oh well. The rim was not scratched at all they did a good job, I suppose. The guy who helped me took his Porsche 928 so Sears... i figured if its good enoguh for Porsche, its food enough for Acura.
Has anyone taken their car to Sears before? Were they good or bad?
Does Acura Roadside assistance cover flats and road hazards?
All is well that ands well, I suppose. Now I know how to change a tire! I did have a little scare. I thought I didn't have the wheel lock. It was in the left side opposite of where the other jack and other crap is. The jack sucks by the way. Very cumbersome to get out of that hole. Luckily one shouldn't have to do it often.

------------------
2001 CL Type S.
No spoiler. No NAV either. No fat chics.
no "phat" chics either.
Old 02-04-2001, 09:17 AM
Adult Supervision

You got lucky with a pretty risky move imo. Sears is not know for their automotive expertise and I would have gone with a more specialized tire house.

Yes, Acura roadside would have covered this for a tire change.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-04-2001, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Oops... Well, I wanted a quick fix. I still have another five hours of class, so I couldn't really wait for Roadside to come out.
The guy I was with took his Porsche to get his tires changed. I figure it's no biggie. For obvious reasons I wouldn't take it for an engine repair.

------------------
2001 CL Type S.
no "phat" chics either.
Old 02-04-2001, 01:19 PM
Race Director

Anyone can fix a flat. Anyone. What's the worse that can happen? A slow leak. Other than that, they have the tools so they'll do the job, unless someone makes a mistake which they can do any palce.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-04-2001, 04:27 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW as rule here where I work we stongly urge people not to have flats repaired with a plug.The reason is due to the increased possibility of belts shifting in the tire.A tire is looks one piece but it is not the belts inside the rubber slide slightly as you drive down the road.Putting a plug in mechanically locks the belts together and prevents this slight sliding action.Quite a few of the tires we plugged especially Michelins seemed for some reason to develop shifted belts which causes an awful shimmy in the steerin wheel.We contacted Michelin and they advised against plugs and instead told us that the only good way to fix a flat is with a patch.Now we only use patches and have had no problems.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 02-04-2001, 04:34 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuckyCL:
Well, I get out to lunch durign my MCSE class and low and behold me left front tire was flat. One of my fellow MSCE'ers helped me change it. Cool guy too. I got the stuff out, jacked the car up blink my eye, the wheel is off and the spare is on. Take the car and ture over to Sears which is a quarter mile away, leave the car there, give the mechanic me cellphone and off to lunch. I get out of class, and it was only $15 to plug the hole.
It was an Allen wrench! Oh well. The rim was not scratched at all they did a good job, I suppose. The guy who helped me took his Porsche 928 so Sears... i figured if its good enoguh for Porsche, its food enough for Acura.
Has anyone taken their car to Sears before? Were they good or bad?
Does Acura Roadside assistance cover flats and road hazards?
All is well that ands well, I suppose. Now I know how to change a tire! I did have a little scare. I thought I didn't have the wheel lock. It was in the left side opposite of where the other jack and other crap is. The jack sucks by the way. Very cumbersome to get out of that hole. Luckily one shouldn't have to do it often.

</font>
Wow, what typo's. I can't believe you goofed on people on the board for their typing skills...Yours are terrible!

Old 02-04-2001, 04:40 PM
Instructor

They used a patch, not those strands or plugs.
Also, I never 'goofed' on bad typing... I get annoyed when people use dopey slang. Errors are one thing, typing like a schmuck on purpose is different.

------------------
2001 CL Type S.
no "phat" chics either.
Old 02-04-2001, 04:41 PM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
FWIW as rule here where I work we stongly urge people not to have flats repaired with a plug.
</font>
Excellent advice and right on the money. I recently had a patch installed on my right rear and the shop said they would never do a plug.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 02-04-2001, 06:34 PM
Instructor

The receipt says patch. The guy also said that newer tires can't be plugged, especially expensive ones on new cars. Maybe cheap ones on semi-old trucks... I don't know. But A plug would have cost three bucks... fifteen bucks is just fine for me. Its not like I can't afford fifteen smackers.

------------------
2001 CL Type S.
no "phat" chics either.