Finally tried to play a CDR the headunit doesn't like.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001 | 12:44 AM
Old timer

Finally tried to play a CDR the headunit doesn't like.

So I've had 6CDRs in the dash since I got it three weeks ago. Today I tried to take out the FearFactory mix CDR and put in my BigTymers/CashMoney CDR for a little bling-bling to drive to.

Sure enough, the Blose headunit doesn't like it. It skips every halfsecond and doesnt even start playing some tracks.

Keep in mind the CDR is in perfect condition. It's even the same brand as all my others, although this one is about six months older when the dye color on the CDR was a deeper blue (now Memorex 70min CDRs are almost clear in color).

I'm guessing the Blose unit just doesn't like darker blue CDR dye colors.

I'm going to have to reburn the CDR onto a new one and see if that fixes the problem (it should).

Right now I'd be driving around and hearing "I got fired, bitch, I got fired" instead of "I got that fire" and that's just NOT bling-bling.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:51 AM
Advanced

Ive never had a problem with any kind of CD-R I put in the system. Ive used everything from really really cheap ones to expensive ones. It could be the way you are burning them. Check them in a home system first.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Black, Ebony, Navi
- Splash guards
- Wheel locks
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- Weapon-R intake w/K&N
- Comptech Springs
- Comptech Sways
- Neuspeed Strut Tower
- Neuspeed Lower Tie Bar
- De-Badged rear
- Tint all around
- RAZO Shift Knob
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:57 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Code3Smith:
Ive never had a problem with any kind of CD-R I put in the system. Ive used everything from really really cheap ones to expensive ones. It could be the way you are burning them. Check them in a home system first.
</font>
No problems here with CD-Rs. Sorry to ask but are they CD-RWs?

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 05-16-2001 | 01:07 AM
Old timer

CDRs.

I played the damn thing in my '98 GrandAm's CDplayer for two months with ZERO problems (and a lot better sound system I might add - STOCK).

Bose really DOES Blow.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001 | 01:27 AM
Masshole

JRock, I would have this type of problem in my after market kenwood I used to have. Certain brands with certain CD recoders don't mix well. Don't beat up your Bose just yet. Sometimes a CD-R drive will calibrate differently to each type of disk. Maybe in this case the type of CD-R you purchased along with your CD recoder calibrated to a degree that the Bose has trouble with, just like my kenwood did. The same CD's that my Kenwood would skip like mad in played perfect in my home CD player and my girl friends car...it's funny sometimes.

------------------
2001 CL-S red, spoiler, mud guards, moon visor
Old 05-16-2001 | 01:32 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

JRock, what brand of burner/RW are you using for the CDR's? I can tell you from experience, it's not the type of CDR u use (blue, green, gold, etc...) but the burner you use. I have a Sony Cd head unit in my car. I had an old Yamaha RW(and to ths day it still holds true) and I would burn on the best quality CD's in my mind, Kodak Golds (on both sides) and in a good day they would work. Use the same burner with a blue or a green CD and the CD head unit would spit it out. With my current burner, a Plextor (which I think is a Sanyo mechanism), I can use just abotu any type of media and it works just fine in the same CD player. Chances are that the burner doesn't make good enough of a burn and the head unit won't play it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2001 | 01:32 AM
Instructor

I've burned a couple of CDRs and played them in the car....1 out of the 3 skips but just on a particular track. Yet it plays fine in the house. Oh well.
Old 05-16-2001 | 02:01 AM
Suzuka Master

No problems here with my Bose.
{that sounds weird owning a Bose, do I sound like a silly elitist? }
I think it's your media mang.
Memorex is cheap stuff.

You'll find much better dependable quality with these:
Try TDK or Fujifilm. Highly recommended best value.
Verbatim and Imation are not bad either.
Mitsui is best, but expensive.

Oh yea just a tip for burning Audio CDs: using your software...try burning w/o the "Disc-at-once" feature (burning the entire thing all at once can cause skipping)...so that it burns tracks individually and its MUCH more reliable that way

And if youre doing disc to disc, try slowing the burn process down to like 4x or even 2x if your burner can't handle it

Pretty much it's a trial and error process to see what you can/can't burn at which speeds, with what particular media, and for which applications (music, data, etc)..
Everyone has a different configuration of burners, media, hardware, more importantly burning software, just gota play around to see what works best for ya...but I recommend those medias up above and it'll help cut down bad burns, jitters, skips, etc.

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
• Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
• Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
• HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

• [Photopoint Album Pics]

Other
• [Yamaha Home Theater Gear]
• [DVD List]
• [Southern Calif. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus 6-7pm]

[This message has been edited by KavexTrax (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001 | 03:23 AM
Burning Brakes

More than likely, it's just a compatibility issue with the type of CD-R's you're using. Switch brands and your problem will probably go away. From what I've read, the gold disks are the most reliable but I've never had skipping problems with the greenish ones.

One problem I have had with CD-R's is that the generic CompUSA (Ritek) CD-R's are so thick, the player has a hard time digesting them. It tries to pull them in, then decides they’re too thick and spits ‘em out. They eventually go in with a little coaxing. Haven't had problems getting them out yet (knock on wood)...
Old 05-16-2001 | 11:53 AM
Old timer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Memorex is cheap stuff.</font>
Except that all my other CDRs are memorex and they play fine. (All seven I've tried.)

This ONE doesn't and the only difference is the dye color is a darker blue.

Like I said I'm going to reburn it to another CDR (with the newer, lighter dye color) and it should be fine.

Btw, the seven CDRs I've played fine were burned on either a Ricoh MP7040A at 8x or a Yamaha LightSpeed 16/12/40 at 12x (16x is too fast for my system to handle all the time and I don't like to chance it and make a coaster).

And they work fine. So I know both my burners burn quality CDRs, it's just that the one CDR happens to be a dark blue dye color and that doesn't work.

I use Memorex because I've never had a problem with their CDRs. Other brands I've tried are iffy.
I might try TDK at some point in the future since someone recommended them.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I had that problem w/ my cheap imitation brand cdr's since then I've switched to the the music only cdr's. can't remember the brand but it's white on top w/ purple letters. It works great for both my car and iso dreamcast games.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Just a word of caution if you use CD Labels on your CDR's. Make sure you use the glossy applications, and not the textured kind. The Bose CD changer does not like to eject the textured labels. It will take them in, just not eject them. Then you will have to get a flat-head screwdriver to try to coax the damn CD out.
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:09 PM
Instructor

anyone ever try playing cdrw's??

------------------
2001 CL Type S
San Marino Red/Parchment
Spoiler, wind deflector,Wheel locks, Non Nav
No mods yet
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:23 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HellaWhat:
JRock, what brand of burner/RW are you using for the CDR's? I can tell you from experience, it's not the type of CDR u use (blue, green, gold, etc...) but the burner you use. I have a Sony Cd head unit in my car. I had an old Yamaha RW(and to ths day it still holds true) and I would burn on the best quality CD's in my mind, Kodak Golds (on both sides) and in a good day they would work. Use the same burner with a blue or a green CD and the CD head unit would spit it out. With my current burner, a Plextor (which I think is a Sanyo mechanism), I can use just abotu any type of media and it works just fine in the same CD player. Chances are that the burner doesn't make good enough of a burn and the head unit won't play it. Hope this helps.</font>
The only thing Plextor uses from Sanyo is their "Burn-Proof" patent.

------------------
- The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Dunlop SP5000 215/50/17
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:34 PM
Racer

CDRW's will most likely NOT work in most car stereos. They are usually used for data storing purposes. I've never had a problem using Sony and IBM CD-R's in my car. Try those two brands...never get skipping or anything like that will these two brands.

------------------
01 white/ebony CL-S
Pewter Xephyr CAI
PIAA's 19224
Old 05-16-2001 | 12:39 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

I use PNY and I really never had any problems on basically any headunit. I think it is the CD-R or the way u recorded.

------------------
2001 CL-S Satin Silver/Ebnoy
  • Spoiler/moonroof visor/20% Tint
  • PIAA 19173/19170
  • Mobil 1 Oil/Oil Filter
  • X-Pel/Upgrade Cup Holder
  • Clifford G4 Solaris Remote Start Car Alarm
  • AEM CAI/Denso Iridium Spark

On its way: Comptech Sway Bar/Brake Line/WS Apexi Coilover/AEM Pulley
Old 05-16-2001 | 02:01 PM
Rod
Drifting

I haven't had any problems so far, even with generic CompUSA and Imation CD-Rs.