Experienced Car people service help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003 | 08:09 PM
6SPDCLS

***BRAKES QUESTION***

Can some of you experience car people tell me what to do? It should be very simple:

96 Honda Accord sedan (LX). Brake pedal travel is now so much further than a year ago...no ABS lights or any abnormality noticed from the ABS lights, check engine, etc...

I have to step on the brake pedal much hard now for the car to stop..almost to the floor...i took a look under the bonnet and looked at the BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR...it looks almost empty..do you think adding more HONDA ATF brake fluid to the reservoir will fix the brake pedal travel problem I'm experiencing?

I don't think the brake pads are worn either..no indicator sound and last I brought the car to check for 100,000mile tuneup, everything seems find..lots of brake pad material left.

Thanks wonderful Acura CL experienced car people! You guys are the best...!!

I LOVE YOU!
Old 09-07-2003 | 10:40 PM
Drifting

could there be a leak somewhere? at the very least you should add more fluid and bleed the system. even if the pads are worn, the brake flud level shouldn't drop that low.

i'm no mechanic, so i just gave my opinon.
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:12 AM
6SPDCLS

Originally posted by DRM600
could there be a leak somewhere? at the very least you should add more fluid and bleed the system. even if the pads are worn, the brake flud level shouldn't drop that low.

i'm no mechanic, so i just gave my opinon.
interesting...but there's no sign of any leakage of anything period. Also, I might of exaggerated a bit..the fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is about a bit below the half way mark...if I do add more fluid, I don't need to perform the bleeding procedure cause I don't think any air bubble would be present if I just add more brake fluid to the brake fluid reservoir??
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:25 AM
TQ > MPG

As the pads wear your fluid level will decrease due to the fluid taking up more space due to longer piston travel. It sounds like you have a leak somewhere, or air in the brake lines, or even a combo of the two. Adding more brake fluid probably won't help, but you should do it anyway. Get it checked at the dealership or a local garage that is trustworthy.
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by jtkz13
As the pads wear your fluid level will decrease due to the fluid taking up more space due to longer piston travel. It sounds like you have a leak somewhere, or air in the brake lines, or even a combo of the two. Adding more brake fluid probably won't help, but you should do it anyway. Get it checked at the dealership or a local garage that is trustworthy.
Yep!
time to bleed the brakes! when ever your reservoir goes empty, you will get air in the line, and air will compress, giving you that mushy feel. as your pads wear, the piston gets pushed out more and uses more fluid. and remember, most Hondas front brake piston screws back in, and the rear gets pushed back in. I hate working on brakes, totally rebuilt the system on my '91 legend coupe.

but,
if you do have a leak in a line, or a buldge, its a good excuse to upgrade to S/S lines
Old 09-08-2003 | 04:21 AM
6SPDCLS

thanks jtkz13 and ballaculla and others!

Shit, time to pay a trip to the honda factory...