Everyone read this Ridiculousness!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 04:40 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone read this Ridiculousness!!!

I take the CL-S in this morning because I am now a member of the failed tranny club. Before yesterday I just experienced free wheeling. Then yesterday the tranny downshifted to 2nd while doing about 65 MPH of the freeway. This morning on the way to the dealer the car was all over the place. Missing shifts, free wheeling, downshifting for no reason.

Now for the insanity

The dealer just called and told me that I would require a new trans. Duh! But the service guy told me that Acura came out and looked at the car. They said that they will replace the transmission THIS TIME. But due to my "modifications," they will not do it again under warranty, and I will have to eat the cost.

I have a Injen CAI, and Comptech springs. I told the dealer that these have nothing to do with a transmission. And he stated (in a round about way) that Acura's take was that people with a CAI are more likely to abuse the car. And therefore they will not cover the trans again if it goes. I told him that the car has had ALL service to date, performed by the dealer. And that the car is treated better than my dog (and my dog is spoiled). I also told him that I take offense to the accusation that I "beat" on the car. And that there is no way the transmission failed due to my driving habits.

DO YOU BELIEVE THE GALL?
Old 09-12-2002, 04:43 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Damn! I am sorry to hear that they are being so tight assed about that... I would talk to Acura Corp (Honda).. it seems more like your dealership saying that then their superiors! Alot of dealerships believe that, but Id check into it!

btw, love your avator!
Old 09-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Interesting... I wonder if someone from "Acura" really did come to look at the car, or they're trying to screw you and possibly make a few bucks if it were to happen again.

The nerve of some people...
Old 09-12-2002, 04:45 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
yup sounds like Acura. the fucks.

:shakehd:
Old 09-12-2002, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Scrib
Interesting... I wonder if someone from "Acura" really did come to look at the car, or they're trying to screw you and possibly make a few bucks if it were to happen again.

The nerve of some people...
They are obviously just trying to screw him. If they didn't want people to beat on the trannies they should install some kind of accelerating limitation device. How can someone beat up an automatic? The computer won't let you do anything stupid.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
jeezus.....these people are unbelievable. How do you beat on an automatic??? Press the accelerator hard.....oh wait.....i forgot...we are just supposed to idle our way around town. This is supposed to a sports coupe the S stands for SPORT not SLOW.

If i wanted to drive slow I would by a Grand Marquis.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

sidemarker
Old 09-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What a crock!!!! I wish my dealer would say that shit!!! CAI doesn't have shit to do with your tranny failing!!! Show them the LA Times article and make sure you call American Honda.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Racer

Honda's transmission defect made the LA papers !,
Show this to their fawking faces !

Transmission Defect made the papers !

If the note about the LA times is a re-post, then my bad

Bastards need to do a recall & re-evaluate what the damn defect is & fix it, Honda/Acura are treating customers like GM does
Old 09-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
THIS SUCKS!!!!! I'm seriously thinking of making flyers that has the LA times story on it along w/ other Honda tranny tidbits and putting it on other Hondas/Acuras on the street...mass hysteria will catch someone in power's attention

Shit, people should post this shit all over the web, I'm absolutely sick and tired of seeing this shit happen to normal-everyday people (we're not talking race car drivers here)! We spend 25-35grand on our car so that the dealership can tell us that a $200 mod will void warranty next time?! Fawk that shit...if honda tries to do that shit to me then I'll nvr buy a honda again...i'm only 20 so I know i can buy quite a few Hondas in my lifetime

JUsT had 2 Vent !
Old 09-12-2002, 05:08 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah......but the guy with the turbo charged Integra gets everything covered!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 05:13 PM
:)

what did the dealer say to you after you said you treated your car well?
Old 09-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Heres the thing...dlrships don't give a fawk! To them we are the joe schmos that can afford to drive 25-35K cars...if we decide 2 not buy another car from them, they figure they will prob find another Joe Schmo to take ur place...and the sad thing is that they prob will :'(
Old 09-12-2002, 05:14 PM
I hate the Mets

What is the name of that law that says that they (dealers)cannot void your warrantee based on mods alone????

If I were you rock dog, I would find that out, print out the whole story behing the law and all the legal jargon and then through it in the dealers face--but do it subtly as to make the dealer feel like the asshole ther are!
Old 09-12-2002, 05:15 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by pofi
what did the dealer say to you after you said you treated your car well?
Nothing he blew it off. Then restated the vague comment about how mods=abusive drivers.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:18 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by mc222@aol.com
What is the name of that law that says that they (dealers)cannot void your warrantee based on mods alone????

If I were you rock dog, I would find that out, print out the whole story behing the law and all the legal jargon and then through it in the dealers face--but do it subtly as to make the dealer feel like the asshole ther are!
Magnusson-Moss Act. I am very familiar with it. What the dealer does not realize is that I went all the way with the Lemon Law once. I am more than willing to fight it out... If need be!
Old 09-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Racer

After reading the LA times article, I am very afraid for my trans. for future reliability. Granted, I don't have any problems w/ my CL since day one, & it has 20K+ on it.

The problem is that Honda is not stating the defect of the trans., they're just replacing rebuilt ones, & many people have have had 2 or 3 trans replaced already. Sure every car has it's shares of problems, but it needs to be identified & fixed ! Dealers & we still don't know what causes trans failure.

After 50K warranty runs out, do consumers have to eat the price for a trans. replacement even though we do our 30K trans. fluid replacement intervals.

This is unacceptable, I might never buy a Honda/Acura again after my CL since they're not disclosing the defect to the public.

I will consider selling my CL before it hit 50K if trans. failure rates keep rising
Old 09-12-2002, 05:21 PM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

Re: Everyone read this Ridiculousness!!!

Originally posted by Rock Dog
I take the CL-S in this morning because I am now a member of the failed tranny club. Before yesterday I just experienced free wheeling. Then yesterday the tranny downshifted to 2nd while doing about 65 MPH of the freeway. This morning on the way to the dealer the car was all over the place. Missing shifts, free wheeling, downshifting for no reason.

Now for the insanity

The dealer just called and told me that I would require a new trans. Duh! But the service guy told me that Acura came out and looked at the car. They said that they will replace the transmission THIS TIME. But due to my "modifications," they will not do it again under warranty, and I will have to eat the cost.

I have a Injen CAI, and Comptech springs. I told the dealer that these have nothing to do with a transmission. And he stated (in a round about way) that Acura's take was that people with a CAI are more likely to abuse the car. And therefore they will not cover the trans again if it goes. I told him that the car has had ALL service to date, performed by the dealer. And that the car is treated better than my dog (and my dog is spoiled). I also told him that I take offense to the accusation that I "beat" on the car. And that there is no way the transmission failed due to my driving habits.

DO YOU BELIEVE THE GALL?
dude thats bullshit !!!! i worked for acura in NORTH CAROLINA for a year and everyone at the dealership that had a TL-S or CL-S had the same mods you have if not more and they allways got warrenty work done... also acura sells COMPTECH parts at the dealer so how could it have messed up your tranny...
Old 09-12-2002, 05:24 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by CharlesNguyen
I don't have any problems w/ my CL since day one, & it has 20K+ on it.
I have had the typical stuff. Sunroof rattle, rear shelf rattle. I have a little over 28,500 on it. And now the trans fails, with no warning. It went from no problems last Friday morning. To full blown failure this morning. Never even a hiccup before that.

The car is driven in auto 98% of the time. And has never been hammered.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Rock Dog
Then restated the vague comment about how mods=abusive drivers.
WTF, I have mods, & I baby my CL more than most people I see w/ stockers !

Dealers are fawking assholes, they'll use any excuse to avoid fixing stuff for free !

I remember my idiot Acura service advisor warned me about my lowering springs will void my warranty, so i jumped down his throat for his stupid comment & he apolozided.

Idiots !
Old 09-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Sorry this crap is happening. It is complete BS. Acura Service Sucks, plain and simple. If they pull that crap on me if I drop a tranny, then I'll see them in court. It is biased and judgmental to make the correlation that adding a CAI means that you abused the car. They should have put on a CAI in the first place, but they cut corners where they thought they could. Tell them you put the CAI on because the stock nostrils are crap. Tell him that by the logic they are using on you, that Acura would have crappy reliability rating just based on the fact they they've cut corners in places with the CL's design (headers, sways, intake, etc). See what they say to that.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:01 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by mlrspwr
Acura Service Sucks, plain and simple.
It's starting to look that way. I had to go with a Chrysler to get this kind of "5-star" service in the past. I can't believe that Honda/Acura is striving to hit the Chrysler 5-Star service mark. Such high goals should not go unrewarded.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by sidemarker

man, reading that pissed me off. most dealers aren't like that. i hope this blows up in american honda's face and they are forced to recall. go LA times!
Old 09-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These guys are just part of the problem...

Acura and these Dark-Ages-mentality dealers need to get a clue.

Let’s just pour some salt into the wounds and keep chanting “The customer needs a shaft…”

These guys are either remarkably stupid or remarkably corrupt (or both).

Has logic gone for a permanent nap at some of these dealers????

Time for a reckoning....

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Old 09-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Funny how QUITE Wayne is ?????????????????? We should all email a copy of the LA aritcle to all the dealership Service folks and Sales ! I bet that will catch their attention !

Wayne with Park Ave. WHERE ARE YOU ????? WHAT IS YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS MESS ?????????????????
Old 09-12-2002, 07:52 PM
I hate the Mets

Hey Rock Dog - I hear you on the chrysler thing--My old car was a Sebring and get this--The Acura dealer was an ACURA/CHRYSLER dealer--Now Chrysler isn't there anymore!! hahahaha
Old 09-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

man i would of fooken taken the cai off the car and beat the shit out of the service manger w/ it. this sux man where's customer service coming too?
Old 09-12-2002, 08:22 PM

Foooooooookin gay.

I would have taken it to another dealership.

BOYCOTT THAT ONE.

Just another one to add to the list...
Old 09-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally posted by mc222@aol.com
Magnuson-Moss Act =)
Old 09-12-2002, 08:31 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by TypeSKid
Foooooooookin gay.

I would have taken it to another dealership.

BOYCOTT THAT ONE.

Just another one to add to the list...
Easier said than done. There are only 3 in the metro area, and they are a significant distance apart. Not a drive I want to take with a transmission dropping into 2nd at 60 MPH.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:49 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Well,

Aren't you going to admit to how you street race every night, perform the best "neutral-drops", and generally allow those comptech springs to do nasty things to that precious transmission!

It's amazing what these dealers will say and do, simply to avoid accepting fault and paying for their company's mistakes! :thumbsdn:

Good luck with the tranny replacement. I hope you get the CL back soon.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:57 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm half tempted to drive up to Detroit and kick that guy's ass!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I was talking to one of the acura techs as he was installing a new engine in a rsx.Asked him what happened,he replied dumb ass kid shifted from 6th to 2nd.This was the second engine for the same cause.He was told the first time,if it happens again then the engines on him.Well daddy paid the ten grand to get the engine replaced.Point here is obvious abuse is one thing,but factory defects are another.I guess were all abusing our machines with intakes and performance bolt ons.Bullshit.Hell I avoid water puddles!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

you probably took it to troy, when I used to do service at the troy location, the service person would tell me that if I do modify anything in the car they would not like to service it. They are very stupid, but I still like them better than farmington.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Fabvsix
Funny how QUITE Wayne is ?????????????????? We should all email a copy of the LA aritcle to all the dealership Service folks and Sales ! I bet that will catch their attention !

Wayne with Park Ave. WHERE ARE YOU ????? WHAT IS YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS MESS ?????????????????
i dont see what Wayne has to do with this issue. everyone that went to PAA knows that he is a good person and that his business practices would never match the bullshit that Tom has to go through in michgan.

furthermore i do not think that wayne has ever denied anyone a tranny change that went to his dealership.

please dont throw Wayne into the same pot with some of the other dealers that are floating around.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
funny...honda had no idea anyone would wanna mod a cl type S 260 HP with SS no they didnt market this car exactly for that reason so much so that they claim they're losing billions to the aftermarket ,only to start offering there own in house performance upgrades...granted so far mostly looks and hanling but....i recomend you tell them to call dick colliver and say againg to him what they just told you ...let's see how there attitudes change....
Old 09-12-2002, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I'd consider writing a letter to Honda Motor Company explaining your situation. If you show them that you are a car enthusiast and not car abuser they will see that you are in fact bringing up a legitmate claim.

I have heard of people writing to honda complaining of problems with their car that were out of their control and honda sending them reimbursement for their problem or working out some other deal with them.

So i'd say write to them and see what happens. ANd if this isn't your first honda/acura your a more valuable customer to them.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:52 PM
Suzuka Master

There seems to be a policy of discrimination based on varying factors. Some people get a series of replacement others just get hassled.

I wonder if the actual denial came from the Acura representative involved, the dealer’s employee, or BOTH?

There is an issue of accountability. Who are the people that are saying this?

This is so ironic after the LA Times article where Acura makes the claim that they will stand behind the transmissions during the warranty period...

Hmmm... let's see:

"--If there's a problem under warranty, the whole transmission is replaced, ..."

AND

"...He said Honda owners with transmission concerns should call the company's customer service hotline at (800) 999-1009; Acura owners should call (800) 382-2238.

"We are definitely keeping an eye on this, and if it looks like the issue is growing, we'll take other steps" that could include extending warranties for replacement transmissions that now are covered only by the remainder of the original new-car powertrain warranty of five years or 50,000 miles, Spencer said...."

AND

"...The five-speed models typically were damaged by premature wear of the third-gear clutch pack. As the clutch friction material abraded, it scattered bits inside the transmission case, clogging fluid lines and causing erratic shifting.....

I didn't see anything in the article BLAMING people with lowered cars for problems. And any comments about "conditions" for replacements...

Time to start calling a few news stations and getting some hidden cameras into some of the places...
Old 09-13-2002, 12:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Um here is an interesting question..

In the article it states the following;

Spencer said Honda engineers identified the root of the problems a few months ago and have redesigned the transmissions.

Um when was the article printed, and when did the interview take place?? So does anyone else here have the funny feeling that some more of our 'replaced trannies' don't have the fix in it even though the dealer said it did??

So the crap about the undersized bearings in the 5 speeds aren't necessarily true, but rather it appears to be 3rd gear clutch packs which are disintegrating and tearing up the transmissions??? If that is the case then the transmission coolers probably aren't going to be doing much???
Old 09-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
They give us 260 ponies and a cai adds a few more...big deal!!! If the tranny is at its limit w/260 hp they should have designed a better tranny to begin with. Morons. Definitely my last Acura.

Quick Reply: Everyone read this Ridiculousness!!!