Engine tapping when cold weather cold start until warmed up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine tapping when cold weather cold start until warmed up?

When I start up my car for the first time of the day and it's cold out (20s/30sF) the engine sounds like a valve tapping or a lifter or something. After the car has sat running for a couple minutes I finish backing it out of the garage. The temp guage is just starting to creep up to the first line and I start slowly down the street there's an audible click/clack/tapping/whatever sound from the engine and it's just like a valve or lifter because it increases with rpm. I only get up to like 15-20mph as I go down the road and it enough noise to hear it inside the sealed car. I lowered my windows this morning to hear it better and it's very audible outside the car.

Then once I've driven for 10 mins or so, it's gone.

WTF.

I could get it checked out by the dealer but they won't find anything unless they keep it overnight.

Man last time I heard this noise is on my dad's '97 LT-1 Z-28. It's more expected on the Chevy engine, especially the LT-1. He's never had any problems and it's normal for that car when it's cold.

Somehow I don't feel it's normal for ours. How do I go about getting them to hear the sound and actually fix it instead of me just looking like I'm bringing it in for something imaginary (because they won't find it... dealers never find the problems drivers always have, right?)?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

It is normal, it is the EVAP canister purge valve ticking!
Old 03-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Old timer

If I remember next time I'll try to record it with my digicam and let you hear it to be sure.

I know what the EVAP purge valve sounds like and I don't think that's this because the EVAP valve is more constant: I don't think it goes away once the car is warmed up, whereas the sound I have does.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

The EVAP isn't that loud... its more like a 'clicking' sound. Honda valves to tap a bit until the motor is warmed up.