Electric windows work after car is turned off

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 03:51 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Electric windows work after car is turned off

I was sitting at sonic and I had taken my keys out of the ignition. I then let my window down to place my order and to my surprise they went down! I then opened and closed my door and the window wouldn't go down any more.

My question is this. Obviously the window is hooked up to some kind off switch that doesn't shut off its power until the door is open. I would like to hook my stereo remote to the same switch so my stereo won't cut off until I open my car door(I have been several cars that have this feature and I like it). Does anyone think it can be done?
Old 11-11-2001, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That's a tough question. Your best bet would be to check w/the dealer or Email Wayne/Jens.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:55 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its retained access power, i'm sure it can be made to work
Old 11-11-2001, 10:15 AM
Suzuka Master

yes also works for sunroof as well.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:22 AM
Advanced

To be honest it might already be hooked to your radio. I know my 1994 Camaro is.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:36 AM
Buckle Up

I know my dads 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has the same option. The radio works until the car door is opened. Im sure there is a way to do it.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

don't know about the entire radio but the cd eject works.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:00 PM
Race Director

I'm going to play devil's advocate and attempt to think like the Acura people who were trying to be practical.

Why would you want the stereo to operate for a limited period of time after you remove the key from the ignition?

Unless you are going to be sitting around in a parking lot or at an Acura meet or something (with the windows down), your key can remain in the ignition in the ACC position. If you are going to leave the immediate area, you will probably be taking your keys and there is no need to have the stereo going.

Ok, another situation might be you have passengers who will wait in the car while you go into the store and you don't trust them with your keys. But they can list to the stereo for the next 15-30 minutes....?

Otherwise, the purpose of the windows/sunroof is to prevent the age old problem of you turning off the ignition and removing the key before the passenger can close a window, forcing you to "police" the effort. It makes thinks go so smoothly when you prepare to disembark. More applicable to a four-door vehicle but I think, the same switch in all cars.

For the life of me I can't understand why the stereo would be involved in this operation, maybe I just don't get it?
Old 11-11-2001, 12:11 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kensteele,
maybe he didn't know that the power is there just for a short period of time. I think it's 30sec or something.
Old 11-11-2001, 03:03 PM
Advanced

In my Camaro the power stays on for about 15mins. Its keeps all the power in the car untill you open a door. Its keeps you from sitting in your car and running the battery down. It keeps me from leaving my keys in the car. i think its a cool feature
Old 11-11-2001, 03:17 PM
Resident DJ

Here's a better idea (just regarding windows & sunroof...not the stereo)

First of all, before I start my rant, let me say that I really like Acura vehicles and they do have many many nice usability features (such as the best navi interface on the planet! Have you ever seen the navi in a Lexus...the interface is CRAP!).

Anyway...

I think that the windows and sunroof should work exactly as they do now (in regard to when they will operate)

EXCEPT

they should ALWAYS! ALWAYS!! ALWAYS!!! be able to close no matter what! That way if you get out of your car and then realize, "oops! I forgot to close my sunroof!" you can just open the door back up and hold the sunroof close button until it closes. ...likewise with windows. You would not be able to open them after you've opened the door to get out, just close them.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea? Why have NO car manufacturers (that I know of) done this? Of course you would never want the windows to be able to open after you've exited the car, but why not close?? I mean...ok...they can add some sort of timer, like 30-60 seconds or something, and then you're S.O.L., but jeezus! Don't car designers ever use the cars they design?

I also like what VW does with being able to open or close all the windows by inserting the key in the driver's door lock and then holding in eaither the unlock or lock position, respectively. That's a nice little feature...

ideas?
Old 11-11-2001, 03:31 PM
Instructor

the power only stays on for 10 minutes after you remove the keys. Its only for the windows and sunroof. Its in the owners manual.
Old 11-11-2001, 03:59 PM
Resident DJ

Yeah 10 minutes...unless you open the driver's door! Then it cuts the power instantly!
Old 11-11-2001, 05:02 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kensteele
Why would you want the stereo to operate for a limited period of time after you remove the key from the ignition?

It really isn't a necessity, but just a nice feature that I would like to have. Why not extend your listening time as much as possible.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:20 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

Re: Here's a better idea (just regarding windows & sunroof...not the stereo)

Originally posted by skyeflye
... I also like what VW does with being able to open or close all the windows by inserting the key in the driver's door lock and then holding in eaither the unlock or lock position, respectively. That's a nice little feature...

yeah, it's kinda cool i guess, but i have yet to actually PUT a key into my locks yet--in fact, i'm not even sure if they fit. gotta love that remote!
Old 11-11-2001, 07:27 PM
Race Director

Re: Here's a better idea (just regarding windows & sunroof...not the stereo)

Originally posted by skyeflye
First of all, before I start my rant, let me say that I really like Acura vehicles and they do have many many nice usability features (such as the best navi interface on the planet! Have you ever seen the navi in a Lexus...the interface is CRAP!).

Anyway...

I think that the windows and sunroof should work exactly as they do now (in regard to when they will operate)

EXCEPT

they should ALWAYS! ALWAYS!! ALWAYS!!! be able to close no matter what! That way if you get out of your car and then realize, "oops! I forgot to close my sunroof!" you can just open the door back up and hold the sunroof close button until it closes. ...likewise with windows. You would not be able to open them after you've opened the door to get out, just close them.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea? Why have NO car manufacturers (that I know of) done this? Of course you would never want the windows to be able to open after you've exited the car, but why not close?? I mean...ok...they can add some sort of timer, like 30-60 seconds or something, and then you're S.O.L., but jeezus! Don't car designers ever use the cars they design?

I also like what VW does with being able to open or close all the windows by inserting the key in the driver's door lock and then holding in eaither the unlock or lock position, respectively. That's a nice little feature...

ideas?
Sounds like a good idea. I would suspect that in order to implement this feature, you need to have power to the windows. Yes you can inhibit "window down" but you will still have to have power flowing to the windows so that would mean when the door opens, the power does not get cut. So I guess everytime you turn off the car and get out of the car and walk away, your power to the windows in still on; for the next several minutes; always. Maybe if they turn the power off, and only turn it back on if you re-open the door or hit the switch, that would be perfect.

I'm pretty sure the designers use the cars long before they ever hit the market; most of the implementation is either cost or time with consumer wishes probably coming in third. I've made this statement before and I'll make it again, they can do just about anything but they won't even begin to think about implementing it unless the customer wants it and is willing to pay for it.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:55 PM
Resident DJ

...an even better idea!

I'd pay an extra $500 for this type of functionality!

Seriously though, you're probably right...most people would probably rather just save whatever it would cost and just re-insert their key into the ignition to close stuff. Rather than being a question of implemetation costs, however, I just think it's more likely to be an old standard that is not being questioned...yes because the folks designing these vehicles are too busy with other, more important issues and they have a deadline for when the car has to start production, and I'm sure their budgets are strapped as it is.

Having worked on developing innovative, new products for the Internet, myself, I speak from experience when I say that Product Design is not as fun as it sounds kiddies! :P