Electric Supercharger page.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electric Supercharger page.

Hmmm... My posts are getting censored or dumped. Here is a link to a page with an electric powered supercharger (they have an adapter kit, etc):

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/.../Autoframe.htm

Old 01-20-2001, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thing kind of looks nice ... but w/CAI Id be afraid of sending some water up and into the Intake with the extra boost... Anyone else have an ideas on this..? I dont see how it can really add that much boost.... it looks like an electric fan inside a 3" housing.....

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Custom Chromed Aluminum Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Custom Aftermarket Paint Etching On Driver Door http://types.50megs.com/index.html
Old 01-20-2001, 06:13 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xephyr2K:
This thing kind of looks nice ... but w/CAI Id be afraid of sending some water up and into the Intake with the extra boost... Anyone else have an ideas on this..? I dont see how it can really add that much boost.... it looks like an electric fan inside a 3" housing.....

</font>

Thats a good point...

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-20-2001, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xephyr2K:
</font>
I hope your are going to get one of those AEM By-pass valve/air relief valves they make (supercharger or not). With flooded intersections you don't want the engine sucking water. Boom, holes in pistons, and bent rods -- ouch!

It would be tight. You would have to stick the electric supercharger on the engine side of a relief valve to protect the motor *and* engine from the water ingestion/hydrolock[sic?].

It would probably also work ok with the air filter up high (short ram). You would lose power during idling due to heat soak *and* you would loose the ram intake at 130 mph+ (if you drive that fast).

It gives you about 1 lb of pressure and a 1/2 lb gets eaten up in removing any parasitic losses in the air intake. This gives you about 5-15 hp at the rear wheels at full throttle.

Look at it this way, it is an experiment: you would only "draw" power from the motor at full throttle. Check out the dyno curves. They just say it won't work with some of the Nissans *and* it won't flow enough air for motors over about 5.x liters.

Could you image what that thing could do with an electronic power controller and a more powerful motor. In 3-6 years, we could be seeing this as an alternative to turbos and belt driven superchargers (just my humble opinion)!

BTW -- the motor spins-up in about 1/10 sec *and* there is a VERY powerful fan inside that housing. Electric motors have come along way.

Finally, there is a video of the guy pushing a power box around the floor with the stream of air from that thing.

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-20-2001).]
Old 01-20-2001, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:

BTW -- the motor spins-up in about 1/10 sec *and* there is a VERY powerful fan inside that housing. Electric motors have come along way.

Finally, there is a video of the guy pushing a power box around the floor with the stream of air from that thing.

</font>
Actually he's pushing around a "duroflame" log. (I guess the symbolism is apt).
But what about the noise that thing makes? It whines like a turbine in need of an exorcism.

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White\Black\Navi\Comptech Springs+Sways\Burl Shifter\Guards\Smokers Package
Old 01-20-2001, 11:38 AM
foolio at heart

that thing is funny.
Old 01-21-2001, 01:57 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Actually he's pushing around a "duroflame" log. (I guess the symbolism is apt).
But what about the noise that thing makes? It whines like a turbine in need of an exorcism.

</font>
Yep, your right. I looked real close and it is a "duroflame" log.

I still like the idea of an electric powered supercharger. Hmmm... wonder if the CL-S would sound like a big vacuum cleaner (Ooh no...)

God, what where those Can-Am cars that had gas powered fans sucking the car down?

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-20-2001).]