Electric Car Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Car Starter?

Im kinda new here. Love the forums.
Have been looking back in messages looking for people who have had electric car starters installed on their 2001 CL-S's. I live in the Northeast and this winter has been brutal with cold temp and snow.

I talked to a local place that installs them and they said it is possible. I would need to give them a spare key that would allow the system to turn the car on since I guess Honda and Acura's have that chip in all their keys. They also said that this does not affect my warranty at all. He also gave me a price of about $250 installed

Anyone have any input on this? I feel bad when I dont let her warm up all the way in the morning.

-----------------
2001 Blk/Blk w/ nav
spoiler - mud - visor - bra
Old 01-31-2001, 02:39 PM
Instructor

I am going to get mine put in next week. The key is for the imobilizer. acuras will not start unless there is a key in the ignition the remote starter has a little box that holds a key to simulate this. your valet key should work fine.

------------------
2K1 CL-S BLK on BLK
Navi,mudgaurds,
spoiler,35%
Old 01-31-2001, 02:48 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alenda26:
Im kinda new here. Love the forums.
Have been looking back in messages looking for people who have had electric car starters installed on their 2001 CL-S's. I live in the Northeast and this winter has been brutal with cold temp and snow.

I talked to a local place that installs them and they said it is possible. I would need to give them a spare key that would allow the system to turn the car on since I guess Honda and Acura's have that chip in all their keys. They also said that this does not affect my warranty at all. He also gave me a price of about $250 installed

Anyone have any input on this? I feel bad when I dont let her warm up all the way in the morning.

-----------------
2001 Blk/Blk w/ nav
spoiler - mud - visor - bra
</font>
$250 is a reasonably price for installation cuz its a pain in the ass. a friend of mine charge me 80 but it took him most of the day to do it and he's a road shop mgr at circuit city. its definitly a cool toy though. which remote starter r u planning to get?? i got viper 550 esp and im happy with the quaility.

------------------
01 Silver S-type with navigation and spoiler..comtech springs/clear bra (3M)/viper 550 hf with remote start/35%tint/more to come..
Old 01-31-2001, 02:53 PM
Instructor

I just had a system installed last week and I do like it on these NE mornings.

Yes, they take one of the original keys and disect it to remove the chip inside. They install the chip in the vicinity (out of sight, of course) of the ignition switch so that when the remote start transmitter sends a signal, the car 'senses' that immobilizer chip near the ignition switch and allows the car to start from a-far.

You will not be able to use your other "ACURA" key to start the car (so I was told) because if the system senses two 'chip signals' it will not start the car -- rather only sit there and "crank!" I have not tried to use the spare key, so I can't say for 100% certainty that this is the case.

The spare key, however (I was told), needs to be kept hidden in the car in case of a collision that would displace the concealed chip near the ignition switch. Then you would n\have to use the hidden, spare key to start the car -- presuming it is driveable at that point.

I could go on, but I am at work and need to "get at it!"

I will try later to continue this post.

Hope the info helps and, remember, I am only talking about the unit that I had put in by a local car electronic/stereo shop. My cost was about $175.00, installed.

Old 01-31-2001, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Im actually not sure what brand it was that he was selling me. But... Does it void any warranty through Acura when you have one of these installed? I remember the salesman telling me that it does void part of the warranty.

Did you keep the keyless entry from Acura? or did you get a new keyless system?
Old 01-31-2001, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Make sure you guys use an uncut key, the deal should be able to do this for you. I had no problem getting mine done.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-31-2001, 07:34 PM
Advanced

I just got back from Boomer McClouds... They have a Sidewinder 6500 model. This is their top of the line starter/alarm. You can add things like window roll-up/roll-down trunk release and things like that.

Without any of the extras like the windows and sunroof openers, the total was $349.99

Does that sound OK? It is the top of the line model.

Your input will help in this decision.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2001, 12:17 AM
Intermediate

The Sidewinder is cool. You can close the sunroof and open the window. Now I don't close the window, just turn on the alarm.

------------------
2001 Type-S, Silver, Nav,
Eibach Springs, Additional set of fogs, 4% on the back windows and 34% on the fronts