DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Player

i have the acura navigation in my car and i went to the good guys to see if i could hook up a dvd, and they said i couldnt keep the existing nav system of the monitor. Is that true? or were they just bullshitting me? Is there anyway i can just add the player, and keep the stock setup?
Old 07-02-2001, 04:25 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

1. Either they are trying to sell you something, which is prolly the case.

2. They don't know about StreetEffectz stuff... Which is more likely. Not everyone is in tune to stuff about the CL's as we are. So they aren't neccessarily bullshitting you. Do a search for DVD...

Old 07-02-2001, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Like HellaWhat said... either do a search on DVD, or head over to the A/V and Electronics forum and ask Streeteffectz. He has a piece of equipment that you can hook up to your Navi screen and display DVD movies on!!
Old 07-02-2001, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didnt someone on here post instructions on how to wire up your navi yourself to play dvds?
Old 07-02-2001, 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
StreetEffectz will get you in contact with the person who sells the kit to allow you to play any A/V source on the Navi screen. The audio is FM Modulated I believe. I am waiting for this part to come back in stock. I hear it's gonna be a while.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

When you say FM modulated, do you mean it runs off of radio signals and not wires? can someone direct me to the installation posting? I tried to get in contact with StreetEffectz but no one answers the phone.
Originally posted by NJ_CLS_driver:
<STRONG>StreetEffectz will get you in contact with the person who sells the kit to allow you to play any A/V source on the Navi screen. The audio is FM Modulated I believe. I am waiting for this part to come back in stock. I hear it's gonna be a while.</STRONG>
Old 07-02-2001, 09:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally posted by phinthesky:
<STRONG>didnt someone on here post instructions on how to wire up your navi yourself to play dvds? </STRONG>
I have not seen a post of an actual install, although I have not yet started plowing through the Audio Forum yet.

There are pictures and junk in my FAQ (in my sig)
Old 07-02-2001, 09:25 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

The actual install and instructions were posted on Acura-tl.com's board. That's where I read them. Maybe I can dig them up and post 'em here. I'll look.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:45 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Ok... here are the directions I got off the TL site from SteveStMS:

video decoder instructions:
materials required:
1 Pioneer AVC-RGB1 video decoder - Available from sources on the Internet or
from Pioneer Electronics dealer for $100 - $150.
1 4PDT switch - A electronics store "Active Electronics" stocks these, Radio Shack
does NOT. Or the switch I use can be ordered on the internet as part #8405
[URL=http://www.web-tronics.com/webtronics/general-supplies-for-electronics-
switches-miniature-toggle-switches-4pdt.html]

3 18" of 4-conductor shielded wire that can reach between the navi display unit
and location of your 4PDT switch. I like to use wire with a green, white, red and
black conductor s . The color wires will match up to the Honda wire colors except
for the black that is used for the yellow wire .
1 package 16 pcs. of Radio Shack small telephone butt-splice connectors.
misc. Solder and shrink tube

Instructions:
Solder each of the 4 conductors to your 4PDT switch. This is a total of 12 wires to be
soldered. Match all wire colors to the 3 switch posts. A large shrink wrap tube around
the switch and posts makes it safe and professional install. Also wrap all the wire
shields together NOT connected to the switch .
Once you purchase the Pioneer AVC-RGB1 you will need to make the following
modifications:
1. Open the decoder up by removing the 5 screws.
2. Pull up the power wires and disconnect the plug from the circuit board.
3. Remove the printed circuit board by bending the two metal tabs straight and
removing a screw.
4. Once the circuit board is out you need to locate the DSEN test pad on the back of
the board. Use a small piece of wire and jumper the DSEN pad to a GND location on
the back of the board or bring out this wire to mount to parking brake switch. Note:
The DSEN signal is "Display Enable" and it tells the AVC-RGB1 circuit that there is a
display connected. It must be shorted to ground to enable video.
5. With the circuit board removed located the hole next to the rectangular opening
where the green connector goes. Bend the tab out of this opening and feed one of 4
conduct wire through the opening.
6. With the board still out locate the 4 bare exposed wire jumpers on top of the
circuit board next to the green connector. With the connector facing you these
jumpers left to right are Red signal, Green signal, Blue signal and composite sync.
Use the wire you put into the box and Solder from right to left because it's easier
the green, black, red and white wire to these jumpers rememer these colors are
from right to left! . Take the shield from the wire and solder it to the diode solder
joint GND on top of the green connector.
7. Put the circuit board back in the box and plug the power cable back in.
8. Now intercept the video signal to the navi display unit with the 4PDT switch. The
wires from the center poles on 4PDT switch need to be connected to the display units
input. The other sets of 4 wires each go to the wire harness from the navi computer
and the decoder box. Matching wire colors to the navi plugs wires.
9. Connect the decoder power wires for up to the navi display unit OR car stereo
power leads. If hooking up to the navi display unit 20 pin connector make the
following power connections.
Orange = Pin 1 constant power
Blue = Pin 2 accessory power
Black = Pin 10 ground
Yellow = No connection Illumination
10. Cut 1 to 2 inches back from 20 pin connector on the navi display the white, red,
green and yellow wires. The white wire is the R signal on pin 8, red wire G signal
on pin 9 and yellow wire the B signal on pin 18. The green wire is the Sync signal
on pin 19.
11. Using butt splices match each of the 4 wires to the 20 pin navi plug white, red,
black for yellow and green . Crimp these connections. Do the same for the 4 wires in
the wire harness. The signal flow and connections will route like this:
Navi computer -> Wire Harness -> 4PDT switch
Display <- 20 pin connector <- 4PDT switch center contacts on switch
Pioneer AVC-RGB1 decoder -> 4PDT switch
12. Plug in your composite video source and test, put the dash back together and
enjoy the show!
This is about all the instructions needed. Hope this helps a few of you. And of course
no warranty is implied or intended with these instructions. Your pretty much on your
own if you mess it up.
Best of luck,
Steve

For audio you can buy any RF modulator Audiovox is pretty good one! and hook it
up according to the provided instructions. The Audiovox one provides it's own power
switch. It does NOT need to be connected to the decoder box, but if that is where
you want to get +12V power use the blue for + and black GND wires on the
decoder.
If you don't want to order a 4PDT switch or want the decoder to be mounted next to
your navi computer you can use a relay to remotely switch between video and
navi provided you understand how a relay works . Radio Shack sells a 4PDT relay
about $6.59 and a socket. I used this relay on my "Deluxe Video On My Navi Kit". I
would also recommend putting a 1N4001 diode across the relay coil to prevent
reverse current. Silver band side of the diode to the +12v side of the coil.
Hope this helps,

The Pioneer GEX-P7000TV was going to be my 3rd version of "Video On My Navi". I
have two units for test, one already wired into my test car. Everything the GEX has
to offer is working on he factory navi, except the on-screen display for TV channel
numbers, input source labbels and setup screen. I know the problem, but it will
require a small circuit be connected into the factory navi display and 2 wires hooked
into the GEX display connector. I was really hoping his wouldn't be needed, because
it would have made an easy install! Other than this one problem, the Pioneer GEX
would have been the best Video On My Navi box with 2 video inputs, rear monitor
video output and built-in RF modulator. It would have only required the RGB cable
modifications + new IR eye and be mounted right next to the navi computer.
I'm still working on the on-screen display issue, but like I said everythinge else,
including the IR eye was figured out. I also think the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV would
have been easier for people to find/buy than the AVC-RGB1 decoder.

Hope this is enough to get you through the install. Any questions... ask someone else. I've never done this install, I just copied the instructions.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:05 AM
Advanced

I was SteveStMs' test bed for the 3rd generation Pioneer GEX box. It worked ok but I had an accident with a clumsy passanger and a soda and away it went. I did the install per the instructions posted and it works great! I was at the Tustin Black Angus meet this month and showed it to a couple of guys there but had to leave early. I even installed a Pioneer AVD-505 5.6" monitor on my rear console for the rear passangers and it works great. If anyone in So.Cal wants to take a look or needs some hands on help let me know.

I also have an extra AVD-505 for sale for $375 if anyone is interested.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:47 AM
w.t.f., mate?

Originally posted by Henry:
<STRONG>I was SteveStMs' test bed for the 3rd generation Pioneer GEX box. It worked ok but I had an accident with a clumsy passanger and a soda and away it went. I did the install per the instructions posted and it works great! I was at the Tustin Black Angus meet this month and showed it to a couple of guys there but had to leave early. I even installed a Pioneer AVD-505 5.6" monitor on my rear console for the rear passangers and it works great. If anyone in So.Cal wants to take a look or needs some hands on help let me know.

I also have an extra AVD-505 for sale for $375 if anyone is interested.</STRONG>
never mind I didn't read the date

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: Iridium130 ]
Old 10-07-2001, 06:35 AM
Race Director

Multimedia DVD for Dummies
Old 10-08-2001, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Yea the piece that everone needs is the Pioneer AVC RGB-1. The whole problem is that it is discontinued. Its almost impossible to find one!
Old 10-08-2001, 03:49 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by SleeperCL:
<STRONG>Yea the piece that everone needs is the Pioneer AVC RGB-1. The whole problem is that it is discontinued. Its almost impossible to find one!</STRONG>
I found one on the Internet about 2 minutes ago after reading your comment. If you know how to use the Internet, it is very easy to find. If you do not know how to use the Internet, it is nearly impossible to find. However, the places that advert them, not sure if they have them in stock (i.e. I haven't actually seen the physical device in their inventory). Do a search. They are everywhere.

Ok, here one place. And here's another.