Driving in the latest snow storm.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in the latest snow storm.

Philly got hit pretty good today and there's more snow coming. I was on the roads for many hours both in my Jeep Cherokee and the CL-6.

Of course, the Jeep in 4WD goes great in the snow. In RWD it simply sucks in any type of moisture.

After I got home I had occassion to use the CL for about 50 miles on urban streets and the Interstate. I can say that I got around equally well. Hills here aren't very steep and the snow was no deeper than about 5".

I did encounter two FWD vehicles that ran off I-95 N near Bristol (one was a Jetta) and in a mall lot I managed to avoid a Jeep travelling sideways.

If we get another 10" of snow tomorrow nobody will be travelling anywhere and that includes any AWD Beemers or Audis.

BTW, my original tires have 40K miles on them and will need replacement by next summer.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in the snow as well w/ pilot sport A/S. So far so good....only thing is this car has so much power that if you aren't judicious with throttle you'll just end up spinning alot. I can say i have a yearning for AWD....ARE YOU LISTENING ACURA!!!!!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:04 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
in the snow as well w/ pilot sport A/S. So far so good....only thing is this car has so much power that if you aren't judicious with throttle you'll just end up spinning alot. I can say i have a yearning for AWD....ARE YOU LISTENING ACURA!!!!!
Zapata...We can only hope that Acura/Honda comes up with a VIABLE AWD "Performance" Platform. The MDX is nice, but its still not a Sporty car. Acura better get with the program soon though..or there slice of the market share is cooked IMO.

BTW: Hope ya had a Good Thanksgiving.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Homeless

Mine did fine today in that crap...and I had the pleasure of driving after dark when it started to ice over...
Old 12-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Any of you guys on stock Michelins? I'm hoping to get through this winter on mine but I've had Blizzak snows for the past few years and they make a world of difference. Snow usually gets plowed of quick around here though.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:16 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I love it when the VSA kicks off in the slush when changing lanes and you feel the car keeping itself stable

The only thing I don't like are the stock tires in the cold/wet pavement, but they do really well in the snow from what I've seen since I bought the car. You just have to know how to "feel" it and anticipate how it'll react.
Living 5 years in Rochester, NY helped hone those skills for me
Old 12-05-2003, 05:24 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally posted by einsatz
I love it when the VSA kicks off in the slush when changing lanes and you feel the car keeping itself stable

The only thing I don't like are the stock tires in the cold/wet pavement, but they do really well in the snow from what I've seen since I bought the car. You just have to know how to "feel" it and anticipate how it'll react.
that is one thing I wont experiance here in Florida...I have felt the VSA kick in in a heavy rain...(Hydroplaining)
Old 12-05-2003, 09:46 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by einsatz

DAMNIT!!! My CL-S is in the shop!! I was dying to use the VSA
Old 12-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Originally posted by ChadT
Any of you guys on stock Michelins? I'm hoping to get through this winter on mine but I've had Blizzak snows for the past few years and they make a world of difference. Snow usually gets plowed of quick around here though.
I'm on stock Michelins.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My baby is/has been in the garage since Friday.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

It takes a weekend like this to remind myself why I drive a CL instead of a G35 or a BMW. Unfortunately a good friend got married this weekend so I had to drive around Friday night and Saturday in the snow storm. Never had one problem in the snow due to FWD. The 6sp definitely helps too. Once rolling I throw it in 3rd and let the torque do the rest. The magazines do nothing but rip FWD but they don't realize that most of the country gets snow. Unless you drive on a track when can you really take advantage of the handling benefit of RWD. Living in the Northeast I will always drive FWD or AWD. I can't tell you how many Beemers and Benzes I saw stuck on Friday night! I had to laugh as I drove right by!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Cruisin'

BTW, I'm on the stock tires with about 8600 miles. So far so good.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by rkofler
It takes a weekend like this to remind myself why I drive a CL instead of a G35 or a BMW. Unfortunately a good friend got married this weekend so I had to drive around Friday night and Saturday in the snow storm. Never had one problem in the snow due to FWD. The 6sp definitely helps too. Once rolling I throw it in 3rd and let the torque do the rest. The magazines do nothing but rip FWD but they don't realize that most of the country gets snow. Unless you drive on a track when can you really take advantage of the handling benefit of RWD. Living in the Northeast I will always drive FWD or AWD. I can't tell you how many Beemers and Benzes I saw stuck on Friday night! I had to laugh as I drove right by!

well said brotha
Old 12-09-2003, 06:16 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by Chaptorial
My baby is/has been in the garage since Friday.
I think my G is done until spring. Nasty stuff here. Salt is about as thick as the snow!